Top Bunk and falling out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayndim

Train Attendant
Maybe this is a silly question but what keeps you from falling out of the top bunk. To be honest I have never had it pulled down before because I travel alone. But this time the kids are coming. My two boys want to sleep in the top bunk. They are 7 and 9.

Maybe this is a silly question but what keeps you from falling out of the top bunk. To be honest I have never had it pulled down before because I travel alone. But this time the kids are coming. My two boys want to sleep in the top bunk. They are 7 and 9.

If you are in a bedroom, they have a "net" that attaches from the bed to the ceiling, for just that.

Think of it as a "security blanket."

I honestly don't remember if they have the same for roomettes........AU Members?

Yes, "heavy duty harness" is a better description, and I guess they are in both bedrooms and roomettes. Guess I check tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a heavy duty harness that is attached to the ceiling that prevents fallout. Have a great trip!

There is a strap/net for the upper bunk in both Bedrooms and Roomettes.

Nothing will keep you from falling out....

:p
969520561_5gER2-M-2.jpg

I don't know Something is keeping her up there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aloha

Here's a shot of the safety strap framing my nieces several years ago on the Auto Train.

dsc_024.jpg

The one on the left just graduated high school this past June.

Note: The yellow turtle pillow is not standard issue on Amtrak. :lol:

I "used" to say that the netting was for sissies until I was almost thrown out of the top bunk in Hastings NE. It was the first trip with my girlfriend kids at that time. We board in LNK at 12:08am, so the girls got thier own roomette. Well...one of them didn't know it was a harness and thought it was a "seatbelt" and couldn't figure out where to "click" it. Well...so she didn't do anything and almost got tossed out at the same place. She hardly slept the whole night because she was scared about being thrashed out of the top bunk. I felt terrible since I didn't take the time to properly show her, but we were all tired and went right to bed when we got on. We were in the last roomette in the last sleeper at the very end of the train!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses. Love the one hanging out of the bunk. Don't know how it happens but I am ready to start my trip and I just booked it on Tuesday! It is going to be a killer wait til December.

Thanks for all the responses. Love the one hanging out of the bunk. Don't know how it happens but I am ready to start my trip and I just booked it on Tuesday! It is going to be a killer wait til December.

That's why I videotape my trips. Every time I long for a train trip I just pop in my tapes. Saves me hundreds if not thousands in fares watching trips I've already taken! :lol: A few hours of video cures the Amtrak itch, at least for a while!

I have had no problems as far as falling out of the upper bunks. I have the opposite problem: Once I have to get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break I have a heck of a time wedging my way out of them. Grace is definitely not my middle name to begin with, and trying to get down from an upper bunk in a moving train is not always fun. It was my first time in a bedroom on this train and I gave up trying to use the ladder to get down. It was much easier to jump down onto the floor.

I had heard the upper bunks in viewliners are somehow more comfortable than the lower bunk, or at least leave space open below. well let me just say that for someone who never has a problem with heights, that thing scared the bejeezus out of me! i climbed up there, sat on the edge and promptly climbed back down and asked the poor attendant to make up the lower bed instead. the bunks on the superliners seem much more reasonable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back