Downeaster for Westcoaster?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hallo

I'm making a trip to Boston from San Francisco (unfortunately has to be by air) but have a free day during the period.

Can anyone on the forum recommend the Downeaster as a pleasant one-day roundtrip to Portland? Is the scenery nice (this would be in mid-October)? Is there much to do in Portland if I do it, or should I catch the train right back to Boston?

Thanks for any advice, do's and do not's!

Kevin

Yes, yes and yes some more. The downeaster is a lovely route. Unfortunately it doesn't have as many coastal views as one would hope. It actually goes inland from Boston up through Haverhill and NH before heading up to the coast in Maine (not sure why), but it lacks the dramatic coastal views that you see through CT on the NE regionals. BC is a steal at only $8 more each way than the coach fare for the really nice 2-1 seating in the second half of the cafe car. It is still a nice, scenic ride of course!

The train station in Portland is unfortunately not right downtown, so you would need to take a taxi to the Old Port. Portland is a great walking city once you are in the Old Port area. You could have lunch, visit the cute little shops, walk along the harbor, get some lobster, etc. Depending on when you go in October, you may get lucky with the fall foliage as well. My favorite for lunch is a great restaurant called Duckfat.

I love Portland and would love to move back to Maine some day. Unfortunately the job market is not so hot up there.

Also be aware that the Downeaster departs from and arrives at NORTH Station! All other Amtrak service uses SOUTH Station! (They are over 1 mile apart!)
The conference is at the Omni Parker House. I see from a map that North Station is fairly close. Would you suggest the subway to North Station or just walk unless the weather is rainy?

The train station in Portland is unfortunately not right downtown, so you would need to take a taxi to the Old Port. Portland is a great walking city once you are in the Old Port area.
A train ticket stub gets you a free ride on the city bus to downtown as well.

Hallo

I'm making a trip to Boston from San Francisco (unfortunately has to be by air) but have a free day during the period.

Can anyone on the forum recommend the Downeaster as a pleasant one-day roundtrip to Portland? Is the scenery nice (this would be in mid-October)? Is there much to do in Portland if I do it, or should I catch the train right back to Boston?

Thanks for any advice, do's and do not's!

Kevin
Downeaster is a great trip - we did it in December so October would be much more pleasant to walk around outside. Go for it! They often have 2-for-1 and half-price tickets on sale for the Downeaster. Check the Amtrak Deals page before you buy your ticket.

Also be aware that the Downeaster departs from and arrives at NORTH Station! All other Amtrak service uses SOUTH Station! (They are over 1 mile apart!)
The conference is at the Omni Parker House. I see from a map that North Station is fairly close. Would you suggest the subway to North Station or just walk unless the weather is rainy?
I would walk to North Station from the Omni Parker House. If you do want to take the "T" (subway in Boston) to North Station, just grab the green line at Park Street or Government Center (city hall plaza). But it is probably about a 10 minute walk to North Station from the Parker House. Maybe 15 minutes if you walk slowly.

Enjoy!

Hi, we did this trip last October and I highly recommend it. The scenery was great as far as we were concerned, but maybe check the windows. I forgot this tip until we were moving and wanted to take some photos. I would have had time to dash out and clean them before we departed, they were not very clear. Never saw any bus into Portland and we were told taxis were the only way, although I had read on here there was a bus. We had trouble picking up a cab to get back to the train in the afternoon and nearly missed it. I suggest getting the cab phone number on the way in.

In Portland we enjoyed just walking along the harbourside, having lunch on a large old boat, restored as a restaurant, etc. There is also a ferry trip from the waterfront, IIRC. BC is worth the few extra dollars.

Jean

I got a bus from the station to downtown, but got a taxi back. I was on the last train from Portland to Boston but had no trouble getting a cab. Portland is nice, tho it was raining/snowing when I was there so I didn't venture too far. Like others I'd recommend business class for the few dollars more, although I don't think coach was all that busy the times I travelled.

The Old Port is only about 2 miles from the Amtrak station and mostly a fairly pleasant walk, up one small hill and then gracefully down hill.

You'll pass through the Arts District and Congress St. downtown shopping area, along with a few notable historical sites like the Longfellow Home.

If you're on a day trip without luggage, and the weather is nice, I'd highly recommend just walking.

It's also fun to combine a trip to Portland with an excursion on Casco Bay Lines to one the many beautiful islands around Portland.

Here is a good tip: on Fridays the Art Museum at Congress and High St. is free.

Trivia question: when did the Old Port become "Old"?

Can anyone on the forum recommend the Downeaster as a pleasant one-day roundtrip to Portland?
Certainly it's a fine trip. The Station in Portland is pretty much "out nowhere", so you'd need other transportation in order to see the Town and Harbour. If scheduling permits (eg overnight in Portland), there are some great Ferry Boats to several Islands in Casco Bay.

Another fine one-day excursion from Boston would be the Commuter Train to Rockport, Mass. (just past Gloucester), which also leaves from North Station. Very scenic and very pleasant. Rockport is a small, quiet resort town, with an historic harbour just a few blocks from the Station. And the Lobsters they serve there are at least as good as those in Maine!

Also, when in Boston, don't forget to ride the "Mattapan High-Speed Line" (PCC Cars in regular service, from the Ashmont Station on the Red Line). And the Green Line (D) to Riverside is also pleasant... a survival from the old "Inter-Urban" Lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back