Amtrak Could Take Some Marketing Lessons

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by Amtrak not being "nimble in it's marketing"?

One has to remember that these "new" bus services do cherry pick.. They don't offer services to places off the beaten track, they concentrate on popular 4 to 6 hour city to city trips and also commuter runs.

Amtrak isn't it's own boss, it can't put down rails, can't buy train equipment, can't do much by itself, as it is squeezed between public funding and cost cutting pressures. It seems like chalk and cheese to me.

Eddie :cool:

Hi,

One has to remember that these "new" bus services do cherry pick.. They don't offer services to places off the beaten track, they concentrate on popular 4 to 6 hour city to city trips and also commuter runs.

Amtrak isn't it's own boss, it can't put down rails, can't buy train equipment, can't do much by itself, as it is squeezed between public funding and cost cutting pressures. It seems like chalk and cheese to me.

All good points. But remember these bus companies have built new patronage on existing routes, routes long served by Greyhound and others which became sclerotic and moribund and failed to develop new traffic. The potential demand was there but had fallen way off until these quick-thinking operators began to imagine possibilities.

Amtrak could simplify its reservation schemes, develop an easy reservation app for mobile phones, have an active Facebook page, allow their best employees to suggest experimentation, come up with various ridership offers--all to attract a new generation of riders, and doing so without having to buy capital equipment or fight with railroads over rights-of-way use.

It would require Amtrak marketers to change their mindset from that of a large, gov-backed corporation to that of clawing entrepreneurs believing they have to fight for every dollar and go above and beyond usual customer service requirements, in order to survive.

In a small way, that's what the guy in charge of the CS did several years back when the train had gotten its then-nickname of Coast Starlate and on-board service complaints had risen precipitously.

I just think Amtrak could do a lot more along these lines without having to spend an arm and a leg.

But remember these bus companies have built new patronage on existing routes, routes long served by Greyhound and others which became sclerotic and moribund and failed to develop new traffic. The potential demand was there but had fallen way off until these quick-thinking operators began to imagine possibilities.
I would see your point if Amtrak's ridership was falling, but ridership is on a record-setting pace this year. Many Amtrak trains are already strained to capacity. Until Amtrak can receive new equipment, I don't think attracting new riders on existing routes is Amtrak's biggest problem.

Amtrak could simplify its reservation schemes, develop an easy reservation app for mobile phones, have an active Facebook page,
I think Amtrak is already starting to think that way. They do have a Facebook page (facebook.com/Amtrak), and are also on Twitter (twitter.com/Amtrak). They have been working on e-ticketing, and they've redesigned their website. And they have plans to roll out onboard Wi-Fi systemwide within the next couple of years.

Hi,

All good points. But remember these bus companies have built new patronage on existing routes, routes long served by Greyhound and others which became sclerotic and moribund and failed to develop new traffic. The potential demand was there but had fallen way off until these quick-thinking operators began to imagine possibilities.

Amtrak could simplify its reservation schemes, develop an easy reservation app for mobile phones, have an active Facebook page, allow their best employees to suggest experimentation, come up with various ridership offers--all to attract a new generation of riders, and doing so without having to buy capital equipment or fight with railroads over rights-of-way use.

It would require Amtrak marketers to change their mindset from that of a large, gov-backed corporation to that of clawing entrepreneurs believing they have to fight for every dollar and go above and beyond usual customer service requirements, in order to survive.

In a small way, that's what the guy in charge of the CS did several years back when the train had gotten its then-nickname of Coast Starlate and on-board service complaints had risen precipitously.

I just think Amtrak could do a lot more along these lines without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Amtrak already does these things. I'm not sure that your complaint is founded or what the actual point of it is.

These bus companies are new, so increasing a small ridership number by a few percentage points doesn't take a large increase in the number of passengers.

Regarding marketing, I think the new bus popularity is based more on incredibly cheap pricing which is easier to do when you don't have stations and operate with only one company employee per departure, etc.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. I do agree that compared to Greyhound services, which I have used, these new bus services seem to provide a much more modern service.

I feel however, that for Amtrak, any iphone apps, trendy front men, and slick advertising will simply fall flat once you board your train. Broken and dirty toilets, duff A/C, invisible staff, and daily delays are not fixed with marketing..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. I do agree that compared to Greyhound services, which I have used, these new bus services seem to provide a much more modern service.

I feel however, that for Amtrak, any iphone apps, trendy front men, and slick advertising will simply fall flat once you bord your train. Broken and dirty toilets, duff A/C, invisible staff, and daily delays are not fixed with marketing..

Exactly

Compare greyhound.com to cyrbustours.com

Greyhound.com is slick, but their product usually sucks. Cyr has a crappy website but give a consistently good ride.

You don't need a good marketing department if you have a good product that consistently performs well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back