Can my wife buy a roommette for me from her AGR account?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colobok

Service Attendant
My wife has a lot of points on her AGR account. Could she a buy a roommette for me using points (I will be travelling alone)?

If not - is it possible for me to use ticket issued for her name? I mean - will the conductor check my ID when boarding?

Virtually every frequent-whatever program I've used has allowed you to buy trips for others in their own name. In theory you can't use someone else's ticket but unlike planes I think you might be able to get away with it on Amtrak. Still, just have her buy the ticket in your name and be done with it. BTW, this is also considered a loophole for people who "sell" their points. They simply use them to buy tickets or stays in the name of a stranger. There are other loopholes as well, but this one is pretty standard across most programs.

Your wife can call AGR and order the roomette in your name (assuming she has the points to do so).

I have used some of my wife's points that way. She called, ordered the ticket and they emailed the details which I used to pick the ticket up from a QT machine at the station.

My wife has often done this for me.

She also always insists on coming along.
The GALL!
tongue.gif

An AGR award can be redeemed by anyone in anyone's name! Not that I'm saying she would, but she could redeem an award in my name and give it to me!

It should be in your name, just in case you're asked for ID. I am a male, and I could easy pass for Dave, Bob or Sam without much of a question. However, if I presented a single ticket under the name of Sue, Sally or Dot, I think there will much more than a 90% chance of being asked for ID!
wink.gif

I use my Dad's points alot. To the point where he got my name authorized on his account so I can make reservations under my name with his agr number. So now the account is in his and my name.
Why?
huh.gif

It doesn't matter if the award comes from his account in your name or your account in his name, so what's the advantage?
huh.gif
Especially now that you can share points between accounts! And if there are any targeted bonuses, they would only be sent to one account! And if he and you share a sleeper, his account would get points for his rail fare and the accommodation charge, The points for your rail fare would be LOST!
ohmy.gif

An AGR award can be redeemed by anyone in anyone's name! Not that I'm saying she would, but she could redeem an award in my name and give it to me!

It should be in your name, just in case you're asked for ID. I am a male, and I could easy pass for Dave, Bob or Sam without much of a question. However, if I presented a single ticket under the name of Sue, Sally or Dot, I think there will much more than a 90% chance of being asked for ID!
wink.gif

I use my Dad's points alot. To the point where he got my name authorized on his account so I can make reservations under my name with his agr number. So now the account is in his and my name.
Why?
huh.gif

It doesn't matter if the award comes from his account in your name or your account in his name, so what's the advantage?
huh.gif
Especially now that you can share points between accounts! And if there are any targeted bonuses, they would only be sent to one account! And if he and you share a sleeper, his account would get points for his rail fare and the accommodation charge, The points for your rail fare would be LOST!
ohmy.gif

Really don't know. It was a surprise to me. He said to me one day that he authorized my name on his account. I have my own account.

Steve

Back