Howdy from Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Gal

Train Attendant
Hi everyone! I came across these forums accidently and was excited to find other people who enjoy train travel as much as I do. I have been reading, Travelogues / Trip Reports, for the past several days and enjoying every bit of it and decided to join here.

My first train trip ever aboard Amtrak was in 1979 from Dallas to Ft. Worth and back in one day. Luckily we got to make a connection back home on the same day and trains ran on time.

In the early 90’s my mother, my 2 children and I took a long distant train trip on the Texas Eagle from Dallas to San Antonio then transferred on the Sunset Limited to Orlando Florida so we could visit Disney World. Does the Sunset Limited travel to Florida anymore? I tried to do sample pricing online and it did not show straight connection from San Antonio. When we went we did travel on a sleeping car there and back. I think we got 2 roomettes one way and a deluxe bedroom the other (I think they just call it a "bedroom" now). They allowed the 4 of us to travel in the deluxe bedroom since it was 2 adults and 2 small children. We all slept very comfortable in the bedroom. After that trip I WAS HOOKED!

We started travelling often by train and have also taken the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville and the Coast Starlight down to Los Angeles. Also we have taken the Texas Eagle from Dallas to Los Angeles and back a couple of times. While there we went to Disneyland. San Joaquin is another train we travelled a short distance on. We have taken a trip from Dallas to San Antonio and back too.

On different trips we have booked various rooms, the deluxe bedroom, roomette and family room. I noticed now if you try to get a deluxe bedroom online with 2 adults and 2 children it doesn’t allow it. We called for our reservations at that time and had no issues getting one for the 4 of us. If we ever get 2 roomettes we always requested for the rooms to be across from each other so we can chat across the hall.

I do not like to fly and I have been on a cruise before. The cruise was nice but I will take train travel any day over a cruise! The last train trip I went on was in 2001 and I have missed it so much. My husband has never travelled by train and we just booked a trip July 4th weekend for just us 2 on the Texas Eagle from Dallas to Chicago, stay one night there, and ride the train back. We a roomette there and back. It’s the only way I like to travel. I cannot wait! My kids are grown so it’s time for he and I to travel alone. Let's hope my husband becomes hooked on trains as well! I also hear they remodeled the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago since I have been. I am looking forward to visiting it.

My favorite trip was on the California Zephyr! I want to go back on that train really bad and hope to soon! I now have 3 grandchildren and hope sometime soon to take them on a train trip. My 2 older grandsons want to go really bad!

My experience overall has been pleasant with very friendly attendants and dining car waiters/waitresses. We only had one attendant that was not very attenative in taking care of the sleeping car and sometimes hard to find but was friendly when we finally found him! :) Another time the air conditioner was out and we were sweating all night. I felt sorry for our attendant, she tried hard to get the air conditioner working all night. We did get a voucher for future travel for the inconvenience. It still did not ruin my train experience. My only complaint like any others would complain about is on time performance but I am patient and it never stops me from enjoying a nice train trip! Once on the train and in my roomette I don’t mind a bit the train running late. I like to stay on it as long as possible!

I hope you all don’t mind my lengthy introduction. I look forward to being a part of these forums and share great stories with one another.

Welcome from Austin, sounds like you know alot about Amtrak already! Please join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards),and if you use credit cards consider getting the AGR MC from Chase!

Check it out on the AGR website! (I'd be happy to refer you, if you PM (personal message)me,

youll get 1,500 points,(if you travel within 90 days of joining, even a trip to Fort Worth from Dallas qualifies!),I'd get 500 bonus points! :D The Sunset to/from NOL-Florida has been "suspeneded" since the big Hurricane, probably wont come back in our lifetimes if ever! ;) You have to go through CHI and WAS or NOL and WAS to get to Florida now on the train! Look forward to your posts,comments,questions etc. Hope your husband catches the bug, my 9 year old grandaughter LOVES trains! :) Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, welcome to the board and thanks for the friendly into!

Now, get ready for lots of AGR (frequent rider club) suggestions if they haven't already started before I can finish this. ;)

My first train trip ever aboard Amtrak was in 1979 from Dallas to Ft. Worth and back in one day.
I need to ask my mom when we first rode so I can find out where I stand among the group. Seems like something I should already know by now.

Does the Sunset Limited travel to Florida anymore?
Not for years now, ever since Katrina IIRC. Be aware that this is a potentially contentious issue on here, tread carefully! :unsure:

I do not like to fly and I have been on a cruise before. The cruise was nice but I will take train travel any day over a cruise!
I used to love to fly, but after a hundred or more flights it finally starts to get old. Kind of like driving went from being cool as a teen to a chore as an adult. The security theater, the nickel and dime style fees and the ever stricter redemption options have finally started to kill my enthusiasm for flights. The train has become a natural path for me and it's fun to relive my old childhood hobbies again. It's rare that I can set aside enough time for a long train trip but I've found I can sometimes fit it in if I only travel by train one way and then fly back. Not ideal perhaps, but better than not taking the train at all. In any case, I want to hear what you think comparing 2010 to 2001. Should be interesting seeing as how the last ten year anniversary thread went. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Austin, sounds like you know alot about Amtrak already! Please join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards),and if you use credit cards consider getting the AGR MC from Chase!

Check it out on the AGR website! (I'd be happy to refer you, if you PM (personal message)me,

youll get 1,500 points,(if you travel within 90 days of joining, even a trip to Fort Worth from Dallas qualifies!),I'd get 500 bonus points! :D The Sunset to/from NOL-Florida has been "suspeneded" since the big Hurricane, probably wont come back in our lifetimes if ever! ;) You have to go through CHI and WAS or NOL and WAS to get to Florida now on the train! Look forward to your posts,comments,questions etc. Hope your husband catches the bug, my 9 year old grandaughter LOVES trains! :) Jim
I did join AGR but I do not own a credit card. If I do decide to apply I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Does the Sunset Limited travel to Florida anymore?
Not for years now, ever since Katrina IIRC. Be aware that this is a potentially contentious issue on here, tread carefully! :unsure:

I do not like to fly and I have been on a cruise before. The cruise was nice but I will take train travel any day over a cruise!
In any case, I want to hear what you think comparing 2010 to 2001. Should be interesting seeing as how the last ten year anniversary thread went. :lol:
I have not dealt with Amtrak since 2001 and this is first I heard about the Sunset Limited. That answered my question, I appreciate the info. :)

I cannot wait to see how all goes since it has been 9 years since I have travelled by train. :)

Welcome!
smile.gif

Please join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards),and if you use credit cards consider getting the AGR MC from Chase!

youll get 1,500 points,(if you travel within 90 days of joining, even a trip to Fort Worth from Dallas qualifies!),I'd get 500 bonus points! :D
(In a Star Trek voice) "Damn you Jim, I'm the AGR guru!"
mad.gif
Beat me at my own game!
laugh.gif

To Texas Gal, send Jim the email addresses of EVERYONE who is traveling! (Each account MUST have a separate email address!) And THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - send this information to him BY JUNE 30!
ohmy.gif
The promotion that gives you a sign up bonus states that referrals must be made by June 30. You could still join on your own after that , but your sign up bonus will be just 500 points!
sad.gif

Welcome!
smile.gif

Please join AGR (Amtrak Guest Rewards),and if you use credit cards consider getting the AGR MC from Chase!

youll get 1,500 points,(if you travel within 90 days of joining, even a trip to Fort Worth from Dallas qualifies!),I'd get 500 bonus points! :D
mad.gif
Beat me at my own game!
laugh.gif

To Texas Gal, send Jim the email addresses of EVERYONE who is traveling! (Each account MUST have a separate email address!) And THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - send this information to him BY JUNE 30!
ohmy.gif
The promotion that gives you a sign up bonus states that referrals must be made by June 30. You could still join on your own after that , but your sign up bonus will be just 500 points!
sad.gif
Thanks for the info!

Love the Star Trek voice. ;)

Unfortunately, Texas to Florida has settled firmly into the "You can't get there from here" category. If you try to do it by train, you will get a routing that is Dallas - Chicago - Washington - then to Florida. That gives you two changes of trains on the way. Three nigths, two days

You could do a slightly less round about, but worse due to middle of the night changes and long waits, if you went Dallas - San Antonio - New Orleans - Charlotte NC - Raleigh - then to Florida. However this requires much of a night in San Antonio, a night in New Orleans, much of a night in Charlotte, so you have four nights and three days, and three of those nights all or partially sitting still.

Thanks to loss of both the Chicago - Florida train and the New Orleans - Jacksonville - Orlando "Sunset East" Florida is now conviently accessible only from the Northeast.

Welcome!
smile.gif

mad.gif
Beat me at my own game!
laugh.gif

ohmy.gif
sad.gif
The ole heads prevail again :lol:

Back