please help with some questions on the CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As my husband loves scenic train journeys, I love big cities and we both love Vegas, I have a vague plan to combine all three, but I need a little bit of guidance...

Thinking of going to Chicago for a few days, then taking the Amtrak California Zephyr from Chicago to Salt Lake (or possibly Reno) then hopping on a short flight to Vegas. I'm quite fond of scenic train journeys myself but I don't want to spend hours and hours and hours on a train just waiting for the good bits. So, can you tell me if the journey between Chicago and Denver is especially good, or does all the fantastic scenery happen after Denver when you hit the Rockies (in which case would it be worth just flying to Denver and boarding the train there)?

I don't really want to take the train all the way to SF (have been to SF before and whilst I utterly loved it, don't have time to go back for this particular holiday), so I guess the options are getting off at Salt Lake, staying over and then flying to Vegas the next day, or possibly train all the way to Reno then flight to Vegas. Is there fantastic scenery west of SLC that we shouldn't miss?

Finally, from what I've read the sleeping arrangements are not hugely comfortable on the train so it might be better to stop off and sleep in a hotel.

So... in a very long-winded way, I guess I'm asking: to see the best scenery and enjoy the maximum comfort, should we do:

Chicago - Denver - SLC

Chicago - Denver - Reno

or just Denver - SLC/Reno, or something else? And which stopping-off points for a night or two would be good in terms of timing?

Thanks for your patience with my very unfinalised plan ...

As was mentioned in a previous post, CHI-Denver is miles and miles of miles (lots of crops!)! If you want the scenery Denver-Sacramento on the Zephyr is the way to go, you get the Colorado Rockies and the Sierra Nevadas this way!

There are other ways to get from SAC to Vegas but involve train/bus and through the desert so flying from SAC-Vegas would work for you! Also a bedroom on the train is not that uncomfortable, a roomette is smaller and not as roomy or comfortable, sort of an acquired taste so to speak! If you start the trip in Denver theres plenty to see and do there, the train leaves in the morning! Sacramento is an ideal place to break the trip, plenty to see and do there! Hope you have fun,just remember to plan for the heat in Vegas! ;) Lots of good info on these cities/area/trains on this forum, just ask! :)

BTW-Reno and Tahoe have basically the same things as Vegas, are cooler,less crowded and cheaper too! It's a thought! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that nearly all of the interesting scenery is west of Denver, so boarding there wouldn't be a bad idea. That would give you a full day of sightseeing onboard the train. The views of the mountains from the Sightseer Lounge car are amazing.

I would recommend traveling at least as far as Reno, and spending one night onboard the train in a sleeping car. I personally think the sleepers are fairly comfortable, and having a private room makes for a more relaxed and enjoyable experience. The meals in the dining car (included in the cost of the sleeping car room) are also an important part of the Amtrak experience.

Between Chicago and Denver is just mile and miles and mile and ... of crops, etc... - to me, nothing special! The real scenery starts just out of the station at Denver! :cool: (Much of which can not be seen from a car!) Between SLC and Reno, it is desert and much of it is at night.

You get to SLC about midnight. You mentioned stopping and staying in a hotel, but with 1 train a day, the next one would leave the following day at the same time! :rolleyes:

My recommendation is to take the train from Denver to Reno - WESTBOUND! I'd also recommend getting a sleeper. Although you may think the price is high, consider that it includes ALL meals in the Dining Car for BOTH of you! That will be 4 meals each, which could be worth $100, plus you'll have a flat bed to sleep on and privacy when you want it.

Reno is also a gambling town - and cheaper then Vegas to stay! ;)

Whatever you decide, have fun! :)

BEST scenery is between Denver and SLC and then between Reno and Sacramento.

I would concur with others who recommend going in the sleeper at least Denver - Reno. Check into air options to Las Vegas from either Reno or Sacramento to see what's there. I'd be inclined to check Southwest Airlines' website first for that.

3253740093_a008f6c9f0.jpg

It all depends on what you consider to be interesting scenery. I enjoy the mountain vistas, but the California Zephyr stretch between Chicago and Denver is interesting to me, as well. One of my favorite Amtrak photos is one I took as the westbound Zephyr pulled out of Mount Pleasant, Iowa. I used my iPhone to shoot a photo of a little coin-operated laundry. The photo is pretty cruddy, but I've always remembered that little scene of the lonely dryer in the darkness.

Consider taking the Zephyr all the way. You might be surprised how much you enjoy flyover country.

This is all so helpful, thank you very much, everyone! And we even got a mini-discussion on hot air ballooning into the bargain. Now that's what I call good service :D

While its not the Colorado Rockies, Southern Iowa including the crossing of the Mississippi River makes for some nice scenery. Rolling countryside, farms, small towns, several small river valleys. I enjoy this trip and take it often between Chicago and Ottumwa or Osceola, Iowa and always take something to read or do but usually end up looking out the window the whole way every time.

While its not the Colorado Rockies, Southern Iowa including the crossing of the Mississippi River makes for some nice scenery. Rolling countryside, farms, small towns, several small river valleys. I enjoy this trip and take it often between Chicago and Ottumwa or Osceola, Iowa and always take something to read or do but usually end up looking out the window the whole way every time.
Plus you'll end your trip fully conversant in what Corn looks like in the field! But I agree, the small towns of western Illinois and Iowa are pretty neat, I think, makes up for corn crops.

. . . So, can you tell me if the journey between Chicago and Denver is especially good, or does all the fantastic scenery happen after Denver when you hit the Rockies (in which case would it be worth just flying to Denver and boarding the train there)? . . .
While parts of CHI - DEN are worth seeing, such as crossing the Mississippi river, for most people the best scenery would be considered to be the mountains, starting just west of Denver. Although last time, I boarded the CZ in Chicago to experience Chicago Union Station, if I take the CZ again, I plan to fly to Denver, and board there. The sightseer lounge car fills up immediately upon departing Denver, so be sure to go there ASAP if you board in Denver. The great scenery begins only a few minutes after the train departs. Here's what it looked like at the end of March 2010:

Personally I would rather spend hours and hours of sheer boredom (not) on a train than have minutes and minutes of sheer terror on an airplane! :lol: If your husband is into train rides, this one will be excellent. It gets really good around DEN but I too, also enjoy CHI-LNK. Just good old Midwest towns pockmarked with fading downtowns etc. Have fun on your trip!

Thank you all! Whilst we do have mountains in Scotland, I am looking forward to seeing the real thing, as it were ...

As an added benefit: If you're traveling through Glenwood Canyon during the summer, you're likely to be treated to river rafters mooning the train.

As an added benefit: If you're traveling through Glenwood Canyon during the summer, you're likely to be treated to river rafters mooning the train.
Having personally seen some of these full moons, I guarantee you that this is NOT an added benefit! :blink: :huh: :eek: :( :p

However, one of the tushes was of a beautiful (well, at least from that end) younger female. So depending on your preferences, you might get lucky! :D

ersonally I would rather spend hours and hours of sheer boredom (not) on a train than have minutes and minutes of sheer terror on an airplane!
The only difference between passengers on a plan and anchovies in a can is that anchovies don't get a coke.

I d' suggest you to travel from Chicago to Sacramento, because there is the marvelous Sierra Nevada between Reno and Sacramento.

ersonally I would rather spend hours and hours of sheer boredom (not) on a train than have minutes and minutes of sheer terror on an airplane!
The only difference between passengers on a plan and anchovies in a can is that anchovies don't get a coke.

I d' suggest you to travel from Chicago to Sacramento, because there is the marvelous Sierra Nevada between Reno and Sacramento.
So what airline stiill gives you a Coke, thought it would be $3 by now! :lol: :lol: :lol: ?

Airline humour: What's the difference in a coffin and coach?? Answer: You're the only one in the coffin!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back