New passenger question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monilynne

Hi all. I'm new to riding trains. I thought it would be a good adventure for my 5yr daughter and 6yr son. We are going from Houston, TX to Port Huron, MI.

Most I know is we get a bus from Houston to Longview, a train from Longview to Chicago and a train from Chicago to Port Huron.

We are going to visit my father.

Question is when I booked the lady said there would be plenty of room in a roomette since my kids were still young they would be able to share a seat, but lots of people seem like this won't be enough room for the three of us. I am sure we can just use it to sleep in mostly as the kids will want to be in the lounge car most of the time to see the scenery.

Is anyone familar with this type of situation? Just mom and two kids.

Any advice is helpful for this first time train trip. I apperciate it. Its difficult enough being a first time train traveler, but also having bad arthritis and diabetes and traveling with two small children. I wasn't able to get the handicapped room, since I'm still mobile, they wouldn't book me for it. I don't have extra funds now to upgrade, so we have to settle for what we get. We leave the 18th.

Also they didn't email me any schedule or anything, do I just show them the reservation number when we pick up our tickets?

Thanks!

Hi all. I'm new to riding trains. I thought it would be a good adventure for my 5yr daughter and 6yr son. We are going from Houston, TX to Port Huron, MI. Most I know is we get a bus from Houston to Longview, a train from Longview to Chicago and a train from Chicago to Port Huron.

We are going to visit my father.

Question is when I booked the lady said there would be plenty of room in a roomette since my kids were still young they would be able to share a seat, but lots of people seem like this won't be enough room for the three of us. I am sure we can just use it to sleep in mostly as the kids will want to be in the lounge car most of the time to see the scenery.

Is anyone familar with this type of situation? Just mom and two kids.

Any advice is helpful for this first time train trip. I apperciate it. Its difficult enough being a first time train traveler, but also having bad arthritis and diabetes and traveling with two small children. I wasn't able to get the handicapped room, since I'm still mobile, they wouldn't book me for it. I don't have extra funds now to upgrade, so we have to settle for what we get. We leave the 18th.

Also they didn't email me any schedule or anything, do I just show them the reservation number when we pick up our tickets?

Thanks!
Please call Amtrak back and ask for an e-mail so you have the bar code and itenerary so you can get your tickets! You will need them top board the bus in Houston!(get your tickets from the station agent or Quik -Trak Machine with it!) As to the roomette, it's a little tight but perhaps the two kiddos can take turns sharing the bottom bed or you can sleep up top (it's very tight up there!)and they share the lower bunk which is a littl bigger! You are correct about the lounge car, but it will be dark from Texarkana to Saint Louis, so not much to see on that part of the trip! Youll have dinner (theyll probably make you a rez soon as you board, ask your Sleeping Car attendant!),then breakfast is served from just before St. Louis and lunch after Springfield,Ill. You also can use the First Clkass Lounge in CHI while you wait on your Michigan train! Please read the first time rider section on here and dont hesitate to ask questions, lots of good info and advice on here! You can also read the trip reports for tips/hints! Have a great trip! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, welcome to the nice form of travel (compared to airlines)!

You are aware that a roomette has only 2 seats, so 2 will have to share a seat when all 3 are in the roomette. Also there are only 2 beds - a lower berth and an upper berth, so 2 would have to share one of the beds. There is no additional room! :eek:

Have you compared the fare for a Family room? :huh: This has 4 beds, and I have seen the price sometime be lower than a roomette! ;) If your dates are flexible, try other dates too! (If you planned on the 18th, try the 17th or the 18th or the 19th or the 20th etc... - they may have lower fares. (Unless you HAVE TO travel on the 18th!)

Also be aware that having a sleeper entitles everyone to all meals in the Dining Car! ;) (So just that alone may be worth $100 or so!)

If the H-Room is not sold within 2 weeks of the date of travel, it is open to anyone! But be aware, it too only has 2 berths!

Call up 1-800-USA-RAIL and ask them to email you a copy of your reservation.

Good luck and enjoy the trip! :)

Hmm. I would think you would be OK. It won't be terribly roomy but you should be able to fit two young kids and an adult into a Roomette one way or another. It's true that you can sometimes get a Family Bedroom for less than a Roomette, but that's been fairly rare in my experience. Amtrak has a weird way of pricing their sleeper accommodations but you can't expect miracles on every trip. Definitely double-check on the handicapped accessible room status. And yeah, you should also ask Amtrak to send you the usual email confirmation with the Quik-Trak barcode and print it out before you arrive. Other than that have a great time!

I think a five and six year old would be squished in a roommette (along with you).

I won't deny that it will be snug in the room, but between meals in the dining car and spending time in the lounge car, you can probably get through the daylight hours without too much trouble. You will have to have the kids share one of the two beds, but unless they are exceptionally large for their age, you can probably make it work.

And make sure that you take full advantage of the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. . These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, luggage storage, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea, and clean safe bathrooms.

It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Again, just show your tickets and relax.

They'll also give you a card that contains the time that you need to return to the lounge by, in order to board the train and not miss it. If you do leave the lounge, take this card with you as it is also your pass for reentering the lounge. Just wave it at the attendants as you walk in and one will usually look up and acknowledge you and the card. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.

Note: They may make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, if the lounge is very crowded. There is a redcap manning this room who will give you a claim check for your bags, such that you can claim them shortly before you board the train. One nice advantage of this is the fact that you can park your carryon bags here, while you wander around Chicago and do lunch, assuming that your trains arrive on time.

Also never leave any valuables in your luggage or your bedroom when you are not there. Take all wallets and purses with you, when you are moving about the train. There are usually no problems, but don't tempt the fates. Also don't leave any important medicines in your luggage while in Chicago, keep it with you.

Welcome to the board!

The roomettes are quite small, but if that's your only choice, I would make sure you have a downstairs roomette because of your Arthritis. The Sleeping Car Attendant can also deliver meals to your room if you would like. If if was me, I would try to get a bedroom upstairs, or the family bedroom, which is downstairs. If you cannot afford it, you can always ask your Sleeping Car Attendant or the Conductor after boarding about an on board upgrade to a bedroom/ family bedroom. It's not a guaranteed thing, but it's worth a try.

Enjoy your trip!

During the day, have the top bunk down. That way two of you can use the seats and one can be in the upper bunk. When I had myself and son, who was 10, in a Roomette, he mostly stayed in the upper bunk during the day. It was like his little hideout. I think at night, the two kids sharing one bunk will be fine but it will be a little tight for them.

During the day, have the top bunk down. That way two of you can use the seats and one can be in the upper bunk. When I had myself and son, who was 10, in a Roomette, he mostly stayed in the upper bunk during the day. It was like his little hideout. I think at night, the two kids sharing one bunk will be fine but it will be a little tight for them.
I think he's referring to a single deck sleeper car that is commonly found in the eastern US. The double deck (Superliner) has very low ceiling if using upper bunk bed. I barely roll sideway.

I do the exact same thing with my kid, but this is in a single level Viewliner, not a double level Superliner.

Please be aware that, if an H room is released for general public sate, it is at the bedroom price.
I have always been told the H room was roomette price. Haven't had the need for it, so I don't have first hand information.
You are correct, the H-room is priced with the roomettes when it's being sold to someone who qualifies with a disability. If however the room goes unsold at the 2 week mark, then it goes into inventory as a Bedroom and at Bedroom prices for anyone disabled or not to buy.

I'm not sure what happens after that 2 week mark if that someone is disabled whether they can get it at the roomette price or if they are now stuck paying the Bedroom price.

I do the exact same thing with my kid, but this is in a single level Viewliner, not a double level Superliner.
You cannot pull the top bunk down in a single level Viewliner during the day? This will help me also for future travel.

You cannot pull the top bunk down in a single level Viewliner during the day? This will help me also for future travel.
Yes you can. It limits the head room of the lower seats, but not by much.

I am 5 feet tall and I can sit comfortably on the lower bunk in a Superliner roomette (double decker car) with the upper bunk down. I just miss the upper bunk with my head, but I DO miss it. So, unless the kids are really tall, this could be a workable option.

In the viewliner bedroom, I'd leave the top bunk down all the time for luggage, kids, my sleeper or for whatever reason. It is not a hassle at all!!!! Look at the storage space!!! (I know you said roomette but...)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/465...57624167846620/

RF

Thanks for the help, you all have been helpful. I'm sure we'll manage for the time we'll be on the train. The kids will have a blast regardless of the space.

I know that meals are included in our roomette price, but will we need to purchase our own snacks and additional beverages? I do plan on bringing a few goodies from home, but wanted to find out what else was available.

Thanks again for the information. It is helpful.

I know that meals are included in our roomette price, but will we need to purchase our own snacks and additional beverages? I do plan on bringing a few goodies from home, but wanted to find out what else was available.
Bottled water, juice, and coffee are usually available for free in the sleeping cars. Soft drinks and a good variety of snacks are available for sale in the lounge car.

I was able to get the reservations emailed to me so I take it to the quik-trak.

Question about the roomette numbers. I know I requested lower floor because of my arthitis. I don't do well with stairs..unless I take it very slow, which I am sure would cause some people to get snippy. It happens alot in public. I know it can make people mad, but I have to sometimes do what I have to do and with two kids in two it can slow down even more. Hence requesting lower floor.

Are the roomette 19 and 14 on the lower floor? This is going to be on the Texas Eagle Train 22 going to Chicago and then Texas Eagle Train 21 coming home.

I know we take the Blue Water from Chicago to Michigan and its just coach seats, so no big deal there.

Thanks for all the help so far I do apperciate it. Just trying to get a feel for things before we leave on the 18th to make the trip go a bit smoother and hopefully not get in the way of anyone.

Question about the roomette numbers. I know I requested lower floor because of my arthitis. I don't do well with stairs..unless I take it very slow, which I am sure would cause some people to get snippy. It happens alot in public. I know it can make people mad, but I have to sometimes do what I have to do and with two kids in two it can slow down even more. Hence requesting lower floor.

Are the roomette 19 and 14 on the lower floor? This is going to be on the Texas Eagle Train 22 going to Chicago and then Texas Eagle Train 21 coming home.

I know we take the Blue Water from Chicago to Michigan and its just coach seats, so no big deal there.

Thanks for all the help so far I do apperciate it. Just trying to get a feel for things before we leave on the 18th to make the trip go a bit smoother and hopefully not get in the way of anyone.
Your rooms are in two seperate cars! :eek: #14 is a downstairs roomette in the regular revenue sleeper/#19 is in the crew sleeper known as the transition dorm/its upstairs since there are no downstairs rooms except the H room on these cars! You need to call Amtrak and see if you can get a downstairs room to replace #19, rooms #11 to #14 are the downstairs roomettes!Please explain why you need a downstairs room when you call,perhaps they will give you the H room which is downstairs!

Thanks for the help, you all have been helpful. I'm sure we'll manage for the time we'll be on the train. The kids will have a blast regardless of the space.

Thanks again for the information. It is helpful.
I definitely recommend you bring a lot of snacks from home. It would be expensive to buy snacks for the kids on board. Plus what you bring will probably be healthier and will be stuff you know they like. You can bring a little soft sided cooler, that works great, or just a tote bag with whatever you want. You'll be glad you did.

Have a great trip!

Your rooms are in two seperate cars! :eek: #14 is a downstairs roomette in the regular revenue sleeper/#19 is in the crew sleeper known as the transition dorm/its upstairs since there are no downstairs rooms except the H room on these cars! You need to call Amtrak and see if you can get a downstairs room to replace #19, rooms #11 to #14 are the downstairs roomettes!Please explain why you need a downstairs room when you call,perhaps they will give you the H room which is downstairs!
The stairs in the Superliners are both very narrow, and steep with higher than normal steps. There are also 2 90 degree turns. Definitely call Amtrak and try for a downstairs room (either 11-14 or H, as mentioned before). You will not like those stairs.

Thanks for all the help so far I do appreciate it. Just trying to get a feel for things before we leave on the 18th to make the trip go a bit smoother and hopefully not get in the way of anyone.
The stairs are in a left turn pattern with handles on each side. I don't have mobility issues, but I still take them fairly slow. I think pretty much everybody does, unless the train is stopped. You can always look at them & decide if you want to try them out or not.

Those roomettes are indeed on the lower floor. There will be a call button in the roomettes, you can call your Sleeping Car Attendant to bring the drinks & even meals down to you. (don't forget to tip for the meals) If it were me, I would let him/her know you have some trouble getting up & down stairs when you board, & they should be willing to bring meals/drinks to you. They would probably be willing to go get snacks for you too, but you will need to pay for those.

Have a wonderful trip!

Your rooms are in two seperate cars! :eek:
Perhaps the OP is referring to one room in each direction?

#19 is in the crew sleeper known as the transition dorm/its upstairs since there are no downstairs rooms except the H room on these cars!
The transition dorm seems like the worst possible car to be in if the train horn bothers you while trying to sleep (like it does me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back