roomette with in-room toilet, does it smell?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The accessible bedroom on Superliners also has an out in the open toilet and sink, although the toilet is about 2 1/2 ft away from the bed. I greatly appreciated the in-room facilities when traveling with my handicapped adult son. I can't leave him unattended to go use a toilet elsewhere in the train and he can't use the toilet without assistance, so in-room toilet was much easier for us to handle. Didn't notice any smells or residue problems over 2 and 3 day trips. I guess I'm just used to a lack of bathroom privacy. It sure beats taking my son into a shopping mall ladies' room handicapped stall with me while I get the evil eye from the others using the place.

get dressed in the middle of the night and find a public toilet??? i don't think so !!, something seriousley wrong, if human beings cannot wander off to the loo dressed in night attire, i did last year, no one blinks an eye lid !! don't be such a prude, have a sence of adventure. a curtious "good evening" works wonders , well it did for me, but then i am a pretty blonde, with a smile to die for, so the conductor said!!
I would say that depends on what you wear at night. I am perpetually overheating in my bedroom at home at 69°, so I sleep with just underpants. I sincerely doubt people would have no problem with me walking around in my briefs. Now, if I wore PJs, it would be a different story, obviously.

I know some do favor this floorplan, but I could almost certainly say the entire toilet/sink combo is NEVER cleaned or sanitized between riders. Now, I know the same is likely for the community bathrooms on the Superliners, but at least those facilities ARE NOT WITHIN INCHES OF WHERE I WILL SLEEP.
You know, somewhere, sometime, people started becoming germ-o-phobic. What the heck do you consider "sanitized"? Spraying it with Lysol kills 99.9% of germs. However, within hours of its use that .1% of the strongest germs present are back and reproducing and probably filling the room to the point where they become concerned with carrying capacity.

As for the germs being within inches of where I sleep... well, my feet are on the end of the bed near the toilet. I'm sure you've never stepped in crap before. Most people have, its one of the joys of pet ownership- the finding of a present with your foot in the middle of the night. So who cares?

And as for the physical surface you sleep on, they don't need to sanitize it. They call the process of cleaning it "changing the sheets". Which they do after every run, trust me.

Everyday, in every way, we come in contact with millions, billions of germs. It is my experience that, outside of washing your hands sometimes, there is not much you can do to significantly affect your contracting illness from them.

So what you're getting down to isn't cleanliness, sanitation, or safety. Its simply your ew factor. And getting all ew over things is what we call childish.
pop a pair of pj bottoms in the overnight bag,

I think it sounds worse than it is. For me, it sure beats having to get dressed in the middle of the night and find a "public" toilet.

Unless you are the lady who asked if she could wear a doily at night and then to the dining car in the morning, there is no need to get dressed. PJ's are cool. Think of it as one giant moving sleep over. Only there is no acne, no truth or dare, and spin the bottle might not work to well.

Ok so it wasn't an actual doily she wanted to wear, but close enough.
absolutley!! fun, fun, fun,!!!! there is quite a comfy feeling passing someone in the corridor wearing pj's or a nighty, u feel like you have known each other for years, makes u want to giggle !!!

On the EB a year ago, in a bed room, the SA gave out a printed sheet with quite a few tips on riding in a sleeper. One of the tips pertains to this thread, it said "After doing a #2 PLEASE do a double flush."

Gets the smell out immediately, and then you get the paper work done.

I think it sounds worse than it is. For me, it sure beats having to get dressed in the middle of the night and find a "public" toilet.

Unless you are the lady who asked if she could wear a doily at night and then to the dining car in the morning, there is no need to get dressed. PJ's are cool. Think of it as one giant moving sleep over. Only there is no acne, no truth or dare, and spin the bottle might not work to well.

absolutley!! fun, fun, fun,!!!! there is quite a comfy feeling passing someone in the corridor wearing pj's or a nighty, u feel like you have known each other for years, makes u want to giggle !!!
hubby has just said, why do people get embarresed walking around a train corriador in the middle of the night, when they are quite happy to sit round a swimming pool or on the beach in far skimpier spedos than underwear!!!

hubby has just said, why do people get embarresed walking around a train corriador in the middle of the night, when they are quite happy to sit round a swimming pool or on the beach in far skimpier spedos than underwear!!!
Proper mode of dress is done to follow the protocol of the activity that you are engaged in. If you are on a public beach of course the attire will be minimal. However, do you really want to walk the halls of a sleeper at 3 AM solo in a bikini? It could present a salety issue if you happen to cross paths with someone who is unbalanced. Wearing full length PJ's as you head to the restroom should be OK but its a good idea to forget the "baby dolls".

Last edited by a moderator:
I was checking out the prices for a trip from New York to the South... on the Silver Star or Meteor.
The trains has roomettes for two people... I noticed that it has an in-room toilet out in the open. :)

I've no experience with this.... does it smell? :) Seems kind of odd to have a toilet right there...

When one person uses it, should the other one leave the room? If it's a #2, won't it stink up

the room for a good while? :(

Also, how does someone get to the top bunk in the roomette?

Any advice appreciated! :)
Geez, Louise, after reading some of these posts, I wonder how humans ever evolved to our present state, whatever that is...

Green-Maned Lion said it all: Take a chill pill!!! (Unless it gives you the runs, of course!) hee hee hee

The room is pretty small and the airflow from the A/C is pretty high, so the air in the room gets blown out pretty quickly. It's more of a problem in the bedrooms which have enclosed toilets.

And in the immortal works of Adam Savage, "There's poo everywhere!" Mythbusters has done several segments on bacterial contamination (toothbrushes, floors, household items). In all of them they found fecal coliform bacteria all over. Just wash your hands frequently and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back