Most Beautiful Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'm curious as to what everybody thinks is the most beautiful Amtrak/non-Amtrak station.

My Vote to the Most Beautiful Station Overall goes to

WashingtonDC.jpg

Washington D.C. Union Station

My Vote for non-Amtrak Station:

Goes to Grand Centrak Terminal, New York.

Current Amtrak stations I like:

D.C. Union, Philly 30th Street, the old restored former SP station at Fremont, CA, and Sacramento's SP Depot.

Non-Amtrak Stations: New York's GCT, Caltrain's Palo Alto and Millbrae (the old one not the new intermodal), the LIRR's Mill Neck, and the remodeling they did at the Freeport and Baldwin stations as far as the ticket offices and facades go.

I'll go a step further with stations I don't like:

Montreal's Gare Central whose only redeeming feature is the availibility of food vendors between it and the Place Ville Marie. The waiting area is the main concourse itself, there are not enough seats and there is only one staircase that leads to each track in the center of the station.

Amtrak's Philadelphia 30th Street and Metro North's Grand CentralThe reason I choose these to stations is because there the only early-century stations that have been refurbished completely to there origional decor throughout. Though South Station in Boston, Union Station in Washington DC, and Union Staion Chicago are all very nice they have been more "modernized."

While Philadelphia is very nice, I think D.C. being modernized to some degree is what makes it so nice. I like one thing about Newark Penn Station, its exterior, which bears the Pennsylvania Railroad Logo in its facade.

All time however, I think the original Penn Station (New York) takes the cake.

SBG - Sebring, Florida. This small station in Central Florida is typical old Florida railroad. How many Amtrak stations are painted pink and have a fireplace with potted plants alongside? SBG has wooden benches along the walls, and a second room for vending machines, complete with a table next to an outlet for the laptop. That room is seldom noisy or busy.

The Station Master (Glen) is a "good ole' country boy" who keeps the station spotless, inside and out (including the rest rooms). He knows most regular riders by name and can be heard saying things like, "I tried to call you and tell you the train was late, but no one was home."

If you ever arrange to stop in SBG you will enjoy it, but don't go there on the weekend because the station is closed. Sadly, the closest rest rooms on those days are at the police department, a good trot away, even if a distressed rider can find them. When Amtrak gets on its financial feet (sure, you Bozo) this beautiful station needs to be open seven days. SBG represents them well.

Amfleet said:
Just from various photos and my trips to Florida Tampa Union Station and Orlando look pretty spectacular.
The station itself is pretty nice, but the area is not really as nice. I agree about Tampa.

I have only been to two stations at the moment which are Chicago Union and Washington DC Union. I have also seen bit of Denver but I must say i like Chicago at the moment but each of these station have their own character.

Guy

I'd have to say that Tampa is on the top of my list.

I appreciate that the City of Tampa, the Tampa RR historical foundation, Amtrak and CSX all played a part in restoring the terminal to it's original glory. The etched glass, polished wood and brass conjures memories for young and old. While some remember riding the trains, for others it allows them to see a part of the past.

I also like the exhibits that are always changing inside the terminal. I've seen some rare RR china, siver pitchers, etc.

When I would get up in the morning at 5, I'd get to the station around 5:45. There would be a little ground fog and the Fun Train would be in two pieces, so the fuel truck could get both engines. I'd fire up the engine and slowly pull out and reverse to rebuild the consist. Hook the air and 480 cables, do a brake test and hit the HEP button. As the RPM's climb, I'd jump out of engine to watch the train wake up. Run back and start the other engine. With no one there yet, I had the train to myself. Walk thru each car, check the A/C's, turn on the CD players, grab a blueberry muffin and a glass of milk and watch the sun rise over the train and the station.

The best part was pulling out, going thru Ybor City and running to Lakeland. Sitting way up in the engine, looking down on these small towns, I'd get that old feeling of what it must have been like long ago and how small I was on this planet. Then I'd just smile, smell the engine breathing at 80mph and realize how lucky I was.

B)

well i havent been to many stations...I like LA Union but San Diego is my favorite. TO hang out and watch trains, Fullerton hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm...I think of the few stations I've been to, I'd definitely have to say that the Portland, OR, Union Station wins hands down. They really haven't "modernized" it much but left a lot of the old turn-of-the-century architecture alone, just kept it well maintained.

SBG - Sebring, Florida. This small station in Central Florida is typical old Florida railroad. How many Amtrak stations are painted pink and have a fireplace with potted plants alongside? SBG has wooden benches along the walls, and a second room for vending machines, complete with a table next to an outlet for the laptop. That room is seldom noisy or busy.The Station Master (Glen) is a "good ole' country boy" who keeps the station spotless, inside and out (including the rest rooms). He knows most regular riders by name and can be heard saying things like, "I tried to call you and tell you the train was late, but no one was home."

If you ever arrange to stop in SBG you will enjoy it, but don't go there on the weekend because the station is closed. Sadly, the closest rest rooms on those days are at the police department, a good trot away, even if a distressed rider can find them. When Amtrak gets on its financial feet (sure, you Bozo) this beautiful station needs to be open seven days. SBG represents them well.
Bozo, glen has changed his days off to Mondays and Tuesdays I believe, maybe Tues Weds, so of towners aren't inconvienced. Glen is a great guy, and is always outside with our paperwork when we roll through.
But my favorite station always has and always will be Winter Park FL. The station is a little old and in need of renovations but serves its purpose. There is a park right across te tracks which is a beautiful place to set up to catch the trains coming by. Also right across the street form there is Park Ave with numerous shops, and resturants. So if you want to avoid the rush of Orlando and Kissimmee go to Winter Park. This is also where Michael Jackson gets off to avoid the crowds (LOL!).

Batallion 51, is there an office of the telephone company very near the Winter Park station, or is it very near, like across the street from the Orlando station? I had an aunt who used to work very near one of the other stations years ago.....

battalion51 said:
SBG - Sebring, Florida. This small station in Central Florida is typical old Florida railroad. How many Amtrak stations are painted pink and have a fireplace with potted plants alongside? SBG has wooden benches along the walls, and a second room for vending machines, complete with a table next to an outlet for the laptop. That room is seldom noisy or busy.The Station Master (Glen) is a "good ole' country boy" who keeps the station spotless, inside and out (including the rest rooms). He knows most regular riders by name and can be heard saying things like, "I tried to call you and tell you the train was late, but no one was home."

If you ever arrange to stop in SBG you will enjoy it, but don't go there on the weekend because the station is closed. Glen has changed his days off to Mondays and Tuesdays I believe, maybe Tues Weds, so of towners aren't inconvienced.
Sorry, but once again your info is incorrect. SPG is now closed only on Saturday and Sunday. The days were changed from Tues/Wed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back