Trip to Portland, ME

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
We (wife and I) are thinking of taking a summer vacation near Portland, ME this summer. We would like to travel by train. We would most likely be leaving from BAL to BOS and from BOS either take the Downeaster or bus to Portland. I have never been to any of the BOS stations and see that a transfer is needed to catch the Downeaster if Acela is used but not if using a Northeast Regional. Am I understanding this correctly? What makes the most sense? What have others done? Is using the bus a good method to travel the last part of the trip? Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

regardless of what you take an Acela or Regional you will have to take MBTA or a taxi between Boston Stations. My recommendation is get of the train at Back Bay Station, from there get on the MBTA orange line and you will connect to Boston North Station where the Downeaster leaves.

The "T" between Back Bay and North Station costs less and is more reliable than a taxi between South Station and North Station, done both, "T" is better. Of course once the rail connector between South and North Stations is complete the transfer will be a breeze, but that may not be available until after your grandchildren have passed due to in-fighting, turf-wars, and funding disputes.....whatever.

They really missed the boat in not combining the rail-link with the "big dig". But if they had you would want to bring scuba gear, just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a lot of luggage, I recommend taking a cab from South Station to North Station. It's a short ride and will the cab will not cost that much. Dragging multiple suitcases on the T is not fun.

We (wife and I) are thinking of taking a summer vacation near Portland, ME this summer. We would like to travel by train. We would most likely be leaving from BAL to BOS and from BOS either take the Downeaster or bus to Portland.
A bus would be a major blunder if you enjoy train travel. The Downeaster is a train unlike most NEC trains. You will enjoy the

scenery as it hugs the coast in Maine. It is such a nice ride that the AU Group used it at the last Gathering for a round trip to/from BON.

regardless of what you take an Acela or Regional you will have to take MBTA or a taxi between Boston Stations. My recommendation is get of the train at Back Bay Station, from there get on the MBTA orange line and you will connect to Boston North Station where the Downeaster leaves.
And as stated, if you get off the Regional (or Acela) at Back Bay (one of the Boston stations), you only have to go up to station level, turn right and walk under 100 feet to get to the Orange line of the "T" (subway). This line goes right to North Station, where the Downeaster departs from. If you go to South Station, you would need to take the Red line to connect to the Orange line.

But I agree, if you have luggage, you may want to go to South Station and take a cab to North Station! ;)

You will have to make the transfer regardless. Downeaster trains to Maine only depart from Boston North Station. All other Amtrak trains such as Regionals and Acela's serve South Station and Back Bay Station.

If bags is not an issue, get off at Back Bay Station which is the stop before South Station. Then catch the Orange Line to North Station. If bags is an issue, ride all the way to South Station and catch a cab. South Station is a really cool station btw. You can also take the T from South Station. It's just that you have to make a transfer to get to North.

Yeah, and don't take the bus. If you like trains take the train!

If you take the bus, you should take Concord Trailways right from South Station to Portland. The bus is actually generally shorter than the train because it goes a more direct route via I-95 than the route that the train takes (inland up to Haverhill and through NH before it cuts tothe coast).

If you take the bus, you will do so straight from South Station and won't have to transfer in Boston.

That being said, I would still take the downeaster if you can. its a lovely route.

Thanks for the input thus far. I would guess that if one were to take a taxi from South Station to the North Station then it would be necessary to book two sperate tickets, one from BAL to BOS and one from BON to POR. Am I correct in my thinking?

Also, are there any rental car services at the Portland, ME station?

Thanks again!

Bob

No, you can book a through trip from BAL to Portland via Amtrak.com or an agent. When your tickets print you'll get what's called a place holder ticket. It's a useless ticket not good for any form of travel, but printed on the ticket are suggestions on how to get yourself from North Station to one of the two southern stations. It's because of this place holder ticket that ARROW can handle selling you a through trip as it were.

No, you can book a through trip from BAL to Portland via Amtrak.com or an agent. When your tickets print you'll get what's called a place holder ticket. It's a useless ticket not good for any form of travel, but printed on the ticket are suggestions on how to get yourself from North Station to one of the two southern stations. It's because of this place holder ticket that ARROW can handle selling you a through trip as it were.
Is it a guaranteed connection from the NE regional to the downeaster? Just curious.

Is it a guaranteed connection from the NE regional to the downeaster? Just curious.
I would guess not!

Since it's not the same station and they can take you right from (say) track 22 to track 18, I would say they won't guarantee it. Amtrak can not control what the "T" does or what the traffic is like if you take a cab. Besides, going south, there's a Regional or Acela every hour or so (on average)! And northbound, there are (IIRC) 5 Downeasters!

Enjoy the cafe car menu on the Downeaster while you're on it. They have some regional favorites added to the menu (and Coke not Pepsi) so it's not your typical NEC cafe car.

If you went by bus, other than sneaking a view of Portsmouth while crossing the Piscataqua River Bridge there really isn't much to see on I-95 up to Portland. If you can fit the Downeaster into your travel schedule, the scenery is much better.

Might even catch me and my son waving as you depart Haverhill. We live just off the line close to the Mass-NH border and enjoy an occasional wave of the Downeaster.

I thought anything the website would give you in one single-trip booking was a guaranteed connection.

Thanks for the input thus far. I would guess that if one were to take a taxi from South Station to the North Station then it would be necessary to book two sperate tickets, one from BAL to BOS and one from BON to POR. Am I correct in my thinking?
Also, are there any rental car services at the Portland, ME station?

Thanks again!

Bob
The last time we were in the Portland station there were no car rental booths but Enterprise will pick you up. It has been some time ago but Hertz has reimbursed cab fare to the airport counter. The airport is not far away and it is amazingly easy to get around compared to larger airports. And yes, you will need two tickets as you will be riding two different trains. The Downeaster is contracted out to Amtrak to run but the catering is done by a company that knows how to appeal to the pax (clam chowder, local beers etc.) The Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority actually is the operating entity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought anything the website would give you in one single-trip booking was a guaranteed connection.
Connecting Trains

Amtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor). Please call Amtrak 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your travel agent if your planned itinerary includes a shorter connection. A guaranteed connection does not ensure that such a connection will always be made. In the case of a missed guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's discretion. (from Amtrak's website, go here. )

Connecting Trains

Amtrak does not normally guarantee connections of less than 60 minutes (90 minutes between arriving long-distance trains and local trains in the Northeast Corridor). Please call Amtrak 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) or your travel agent if your planned itinerary includes a shorter connection. A guaranteed connection does not ensure that such a connection will always be made. In the case of a missed guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's discretion. (from Amtrak's website, go here. )

I've experienced arriving in Boston on a late Downeaster, missing a Regional connection in BBY, and being told by the ticket agent that the connection was not guaranteed. We then had to pay extra for the next Regional because the low-bucket fare was not available. So not only does Amtrak not guarantee the connection, they may end up charging you more!

Connecting Trains

I've experienced arriving in Boston on a late Downeaster, missing a Regional connection in BBY, and being told by the ticket agent that the connection was not guaranteed. We then had to pay extra for the next Regional because the low-bucket fare was not available. So not only does Amtrak not guarantee the connection, they may end up charging you more!
I know technically one is not supposed to do this, but I have had success with using tickets for a NE regional (either the one right before or after the one I am taking) that aren't for the actual train I am on. Normally I just say "oh, caught an earlier train" or "oh, got delayed". But then again I normally travel from either BBY or BOS to PVD and its not a long run and almost never sold out for just that portion. Not sure if you would have success with this for a longer trip.

And I did just note on the service disruptions page it clearly says that connections between BON and BOS are never guaranteed.

And I did just note on the service disruptions page it clearly says that connections between BON and BOS are never guaranteed.
It does; but it also says passengers will be accommodated on the next available train; with the proviso that if you need to overnight because of the mis-connect it's at your own expense.

I guess if you need a guaranteed connection you need to get the bus. Is this because the transfer is completely outside of Amtrak's control? How did they handle NYP to GCT back when they ran some trains out of GCT?

It does; but it also says passengers will be accommodated on the next available train; with the proviso that if you need to overnight because of the mis-connect it's at your own expense.

I guess if you need a guaranteed connection you need to get the bus. Is this because the transfer is completely outside of Amtrak's control? How did they handle NYP to GCT back when they ran some trains out of GCT?

I've been wanting to do the same trip, preferably in the fall, the only difference being, I'll be coming from down south, Texas. I've been pre-planning my routes lately, but for some reason, the website wont calculate the route from anywhere around here, to Portland. Does anyone know why its doing this?

If you take the bus, you should take Concord Trailways right from South Station to Portland. The bus is actually generally shorter than the train because it goes a more direct route via I-95 than the route that the train takes (inland up to Haverhill and through NH before it cuts tothe coast).

If you take the bus, you will do so straight from South Station and won't have to transfer in Boston.

That being said, I would still take the downeaster if you can. its a lovely route.
to those who recommend the bus, you have never been stuck in a miles long backup at the Hampton NH toll booth nor the York ME toll booth. Depending on when you are traveling, the bus is NOT the way to go. The train doesn't get stuck at those toll booths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back