Amenity Kits

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyguy

Train Attendant
I’ve read that the Empire Builder is providing an “amenities kit” but little on what they contain. Can anyone shed some light on this and if these kits would be provided on the Lakeshore Limited as well.

Thanks in advance

30 more sleeps ‘till our Amtrak adventure begins: SEA-CHI-NYP-CHI-SEA!

I was in a Roomette on the Lake Shore for the BOS-CHI run last June. No amenity kit provided.

Enjoy the trip! I'm counting down the days (21 left) until our BOS-CHI-EMY trip.

I was in a Roomette on the Lake Shore for the BOS-CHI run last June. No amenity kit provided.
Enjoy the trip! I'm counting down the days (21 left) until our BOS-CHI-EMY trip.
On my October trip using the Starlight, Sunset, CONL, and SWC, and Starlight again, I got an amenity kit on the Starlight both directions, but not on any other train. Just pulled it out and looked at it and it contained a shower cap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and small bar soap, all branded "Gilchrist & Soames" (which means nothing to me). It was all in a little grey drawstring bag with an Amtrak "falling flag" logo. No CS branding.

The Starlight also had MUCH plusher towels, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last amenity kit I received was on the Crescent 15-16 years ago. It was right after the Viewliners were introduced, and I received 2 Viewliner Coffee Cups and a real nice zip-up toiletry kit with the Crescent logo. Oh yeh, the SCA also gave me a leftover LSL toiletry kit...dunno why he had an LSL kit on the Crescent, but hey, who was I to complain. :cool:

I took a VAN>SEA>CHI>WAS>ORL trip in January and on none of the three overnight trains I was on did I get an amenity kit.

I would imagine most folks on this board would collect this kit, and not use it, but rather their own soap. Some of the airlines, especially the intercontinental overnite flights give all passengers a basic kit including eyeshades, slippers, toiletries, etc. Those in business and first class get much more elaborate kits.

All in all, they make a nice collector's item.

Thank you, I was also wondering what the amenity kit included.

Having just returned yesterday on an Empire Builder round-trip, and having received amenity kits both ways, here is the list of what is included in them:

1) They are in a decent size material (?) bag with a heavy cord pulled together and tied up. Grey in color with the Amtrak logo on the front.

2) All are Gilchrist & Soames products. The plastic bottles are 1.0 fl ozs.

3) Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Lotion

4) A .6 oz round skincare bar (soap) in cellophane.

5) Shower cap, clear in color, in a box.

This should answer your question.

I was just on the Southwest Chief 2 days ago, and while no amenity kit was provided, Pinkey, our SCA, put a small bar of soap and a small bottle of shampoo in each room. I noticed each room had a different kind, so I'm thinking she collected them from different hotels she stayed at. Also put out cookies and candies, which I believe she bought herself.

Having just returned yesterday on an Empire Builder round-trip, and having received amenity kits both ways, here is the list of what is included in them:
1) They are in a decent size material (?) bag with a heavy cord pulled together and tied up. Grey in color with the Amtrak logo on the front.

I have had mixed experience on the EB and CS in finding these bags in my room. On my last trip, on train 7 (only traveling the last leg of the EB SPK-SEA) there were two amenity bags in my bedroom. On the return trip on train 8 originating in Seattle there were none. I like the shamppo and the lotion; otherwise don't utilize the supplies.

Here is a sidebar question. I always leave the bags behind to be reused, but I think some have suggested it is a take home amenity. What is Amtrak's intent?

Here is a sidebar question. I always leave the bags behind to be reused, but I think some have suggested it is a take home amenity. What is Amtrak's intent?
i doubt amtrak would reuse the bags. i would think they buy them prefilled. my puzzle is as to the inconsistency of the amenities. usually, since the relaunch, we get a bag on the cs but a couple times i have had to ask. once on the eb we got a bag. if amtrak is going to spend the advertising dollars for the bags it is poor advertising if they are not consistenly in the rooms.

I have had mixed experience on the EB and CS in finding these bags in my room. On my last trip, on train 7 (only traveling the last leg of the EB SPK-SEA) there were two amenity bags in my bedroom. On the return trip on train 8 originating in Seattle there were none. I like the shamppo and the lotion; otherwise don't utilize the supplies.

I agree with your statement, my earlier trip this month on the EB from Mpls to Chicago, no amenity kits in the bedroom. Return out of Chicago, there were two. Last week, my sister did not have amenity kits in her roomette, car 0730, but I had mine in car 0731 in a bedroom. I asked her SCA about the missing kit from her room and his reply was they were short on them and he could only put them in the bedrooms. However, our car had a big plastic bag of them in the SCA room.

I don't leave them behind as I feel I am paying for them. The same as the amenity kits with the airline, I have a huge box of them that I keep as I have felt I have paid for them with my first class fare. I do use the toiletries since the size is perfect to get by TSA with.

Your statement gets back to the uneven service with Amtrak. What to expect? The same for the champagne. I have always gotten it in Chicago and Seattle, but it has been a hit and miss leaving Minneapolis. Again, none leaving Mpls., but my sister was offered champagne/cider upon departure from Whitefish where she boarded.

i doubt amtrak would reuse the bags. i would think they buy them prefilled. my puzzle is as to the inconsistency of the amenities. usually, since the relaunch, we get a bag on the cs but a couple times i have had to ask. once on the eb we got a bag. if amtrak is going to spend the advertising dollars for the bags it is poor advertising if they are not consistenly in the rooms.
Since they are provided as a single/personal use item, then if you open/use the product, then you should take it with you.

There is nothing wrong with taking it with you if you do not open it. It is provided as an added comfort or convenience to you, just as in a hotel situation.

They probably do not reuse the opened product, & shouldn't. The opened items should be thrown away. If you choose to leave it unopened, then I would let the SCA know so that it can be used for the next passenger. The only other way they could reuse the bags is if the SCA checks & adds new shampoo, etc. to the bag.

We haven't seen or been offered an amenity kit yet, even on the Coast Starlight.

One of the other amenities offered is a daily paper. We usually do not read it, & have left it behind for the next people who occupy the bedroom/roomette.

Your statement gets back to the uneven service with Amtrak. What to expect? The same for the champagne. I have always gotten it in Chicago and Seattle, but it has been a hit and miss leaving Minneapolis. Again, none leaving Mpls., but my sister was offered champagne/cider upon departure from Whitefish where she boarded.
Then, of course, there was the trip from Minot to Chicago last fall. Mrs. Ispolkom boarded at St. Paul, and after breakfast the SCA asked if we wanted mimosas. Hmm, at 7:30 a.m.? Why not? We're not driving. They SCA then explained that she intended to get rid of the rest of the sparkling wine by the time we reached Chicago. We did our best to help, and it was quite a cheerful trip. No newspaper, though, come to think of it. I didn't miss it at the time, and the next morning we got the Sunday New York Times on the Lake Shore Limited.

Interesting outlook on the (non) reuse. Some hotels store hair dryers in reuseable bags. I thought this to be the same.

The bags are a nice touch but not a critical amenity; unlike the products inside.

Must be something new. On our dozen trips or so we never received squat. Correction there was always free bottled water, ice and coffee available and on one occasion on the A/T I raided the linen supply cabinet downstairs to pick up another towel as my wife uses two bath towels for her shower.

I don't know if I will be able to get another bath towel on the CL as we've never ridden on that route, and since extra pillows may or may not be available we are bringing our own. We usually bring enough toiletry supplies along with a compact hair dryer that we also take. I would not count on any amenities other than those that were mentioned.

When I first started researching about taking the train, that was one of the things that caught my eye-soap/shampoo amenities. I thought it would be nice not to have to lug the extra stuff into the bedroom with us. After going through countless trip reports, I found that it was a hit or miss type thing, so I made sure I packed that stuff with us instead of burying it in the other bags. The only amenities available were towels, washcloths, hand towels, bar soap.

There was also water, juice, coffee & a newspaper. A couple of times there was fresh fruit available.

On the CS, we were offered Champagne splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back