Amtrak advertising/marketing on TV

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTownDog

Train Attendant
I stumbled upon this video

which has some great ads that are almost as old as I am. A few of the the route-specific commercials gave me chills.
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I watch A LOT of television, and cannot recall seeing an Amtrak ad in... well I don't remember EVER seeing an Amtrak ad on TV (I vaguely seeing the ads in the link above as a child.

Anyway, I'm curious about how effective a large ad campaign could be. Would the ads actually drive up ridership and revenue, and if so, would it generate enough revenue to pay for the campaign itself?

I stumbled upon this video

I will not speak to your questions about the feasibility and outcome of a broad-based television ad campaign would be today. Others may have better background to draw upon to answer marketing questions of this nature.

I will make a few comments about these vintage ads:

-The three ads that were most appealing to me were the EB, CZ and SWC segments because of their artful illustration of scenery you might pass through on the train, which is dramatically variant from freeway or plane travel.

-I noticed the segment on the 14 day USA rail pass for $150 in 1976. I just went to the Amtrak site and a 15 day pass is $389. Next I went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI calculator, and a $150 pass in 1976 would be $571 today inflation adjusted (for whatever that's worth).

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the Mid-Atlantic region, and I see Amtrak commercials quite frequently.

Both of these commercials air at least a few times a week:

I think all of Amtrak's advertising over the past few years (both print and television) has been very well done. At the very least, it reminds people that the train is still an option.

The commercials from the past were pretty interesting. I love the the corny jingles and songs, but though the lonesome voice singing "All Aboard Amtrak" was better than the hyper chorus.

I think Amtrak's TV advertising is geared to areas where they think it would be the most effective, so I think a nationwide buy would be rare in this day and age.

I watch way too much TV. That being said, I frequently see amtrak commercials. In particular I have seen ads focusing on the winter special - take 3 trips get 1 free. I probably see about one a week - or more. I sometimes get annoyed because the one ad I see all the time has super liner equipment and then mentions that NEC promotion, which I think is a little misleading since one would not be riding on superliner equipment if taking an NEC regional.

I too have seen Amtrak commercials, on the Weather Channel mostly. They show a kid playing with toy cars and airplanes both either backed up on the tarmac or snarled up in a traffic jam. then a toy train goes into a tunnel and a real train comes out on the other side. It then says something like "Amtrak enjoy the ride" There is also a local radio station that is running a contest to win a $5000. trip of your choice on Amtrak and an I-pod loaded with 100 songs and a couple of other things as well. It is sponsored by Amtrak too

Perhaps it's the time of day, or that Amtrak does not advertise on specific networks I watch. I have the Weather Channel Ap on my phone, so I rarely watch it on TV anymore.

I have become a railfan as a result of this website, and a dozen or so Amtrak trips for work between NWP/NYP and Albany, RTE, and PVD.

The imagery on the vintage CZ, EB, and SWC ads blew me away, and I suspect they would do the same to others who may have not ever thought about cross country rail travel before.

I haven't seen a Amtrak ad in quite a while. It's amazing how some people who use to ride the train many years ago would like to do it again but never do. Of course you have to have more time on your vacation to take the train. Hey I am looking forward to the train as part of my vacation. I like being able to do nothing and not feel guilty about it.

Amtrak could do a far better job of marketing. If they wanted big time publicity they should offer a 30% discount to any traveler willing to dress and travel in 1930's style clothing. They could have this on one day only and it would be a news making event. Could you image a train load of people getting on, traveling and departing dressed in suits, two tone shoes, and Fedora hats. Women all wearing dresses and hats!. Leather luggage and the like! A news worthy event such as this would give Amtrak country wide exposure. Since Amtrak is not the most time efficient mode of traveling (on most routes) they need to play up the comfort and fun of traveling by train. National train day is a good publicity event but I believe this one might be more news worthy.

Amtrak could do a far better job of marketing. If they wanted big time publicity they should offer a 30% discount to any traveler willing to dress and travel in 1930's style clothing. They could have this on one day only and it would be a news making event. Could you image a train load of people getting on, traveling and departing dressed in suits, two tone shoes, and Fedora hats. Women all wearing dresses and hats!. Leather luggage and the like! A news worthy event such as this would give Amtrak country wide exposure. Since Amtrak is not the most time efficient mode of traveling (on most routes) they need to play up the comfort and fun of traveling by train. National train day is a good publicity event but I believe this one might be more news worthy.
I'm not sure "comfort" is any part of 1930s style clothing. Also, how many people even have access to this type of clothing and would be able to take advantage of the discount? One would need quite a contingent of these folks to make it news-worthy.

Could also reinforce the view in some minds that train travel is something from history, transportation for a bygone era.

I honestly understand the comment about the train being a part of history, etc., and in this day and age I think THAT sort of slant would kill it for many...so many folks..yes the ones with MONEY and who travel a lot are probably more interested in speed and convenience rather than history and so forth.

The comment about possibly needing to have "more time on vacation" in order to take the train...again, perhaps more time but not SO MUCH MORE TIME that it detracts from the trip...the worries about making connections, the state of the equipment, the train hitting yet another firetruck, etc., etc. how do you GET a bunch of people into the railroad MINDSET when the railroad has such a bad reputation for ineptitude.

Oh, if everyone were simply a railbuff....especially the kind willing to put up with almost anything to be riding...

I consider taking the train and relaxing part of your vacation. On our upcoming train trip it will be just husband and I. Daughter and friend are flying. Trains are boring to her and she is afraid that something bad might happen because they don't have security on trains like they do on planes. I wonder why anyhow? Can't they just check people? Maybe that would cost more though.

Might I inquire as to where your daughter was on 9/11? :unsure:

They even had security and bad things happened. Very bad things! :eek:

and consider that with all the millions of dollars spent on new screening equipment and all the new invasive screening procedures and techniques added since 9/11; NOT ONE terrorist was intercepted at the checkpoints. The underwear bomber got through security and got on the plane and now the terrorists are having surgeons implant explosives in human bodies. The only way to stop this threat is to prohibit all Muslims from air travel but it would be considered discrimination.

As for advertising, still say that my idea has merit. I'd gladly wear a business suit w a fedora to travel for a 30% discount, my wife would wear a dress and hat for the same. Add a couple of hats and you'd have the look. Heck I'm only suggesting a one day publicity stunt!!! Actually on the NE corridor many people are already well dressed. Bottom line is that Amtrak needs publicity and recreating the mood of 30's rail travel would be like a giant costume party that might promote the fun aspect of it.

and consider that with all the millions of dollars spent on new screening equipment and all the new invasive screening procedures and techniques added since 9/11; NOT ONE terrorist was intercepted at the checkpoints. The underwear bomber got through security and got on the plane and now the terrorists are having surgeons implant explosives in human bodies. The only way to stop this threat is to prohibit all Muslims from air travel but it would be considered discrimination.

As for advertising, still say that my idea has merit. I'd gladly wear a business suit w a fedora to travel for a 30% discount, my wife would wear a dress and hat for the same. Add a couple of hats and you'd have the look. Heck I'm only suggesting a one day publicity stunt!!! Actually on the NE corridor many people are already well dressed. Bottom line is that Amtrak needs publicity and recreating the mood of 30's rail travel would be like a giant costume party that might promote the fun aspect of it.
As the previous poster said, such a stunt would say that Amtrak is the travel mode of the 1930's. Not exactly a way to promote today's travel. Enough people think trains are like stagecoaches. We don't need to add to that image. Such a stunt might work for a premium service, like the late American Orient Express, but doesn't seem appropriate for Amtrak.

Let's see, my daughter was in grade school when 9/11 happened. LOL Anyway, I would be willing to dress up in old style clothes to save some money. LOL

I have seen that you get extra points for traveling in May. It would go against my points when arriving but not departing. Do you think we need to remind Amtrak that? Reservations are made.

Do you really know what 30s era clothing is like? It is not just "throw on a dress and a hat" for women. And I am always in at least business casual attire on the NEC, but please note, it does NOT involve a 1930s era dress. I still stand by my statement that not very many people have that type of attire in their closets these days. Maybe a little easier for the men to pull off.

womens-fashion-of-the-1930s-797140.jpg

Gingee, you do need to register for the spring double/triple point promotion. You can register at www.amtrakguestrewards.com.

You can't really hijack a train, so you can't use it to attack other targets, although the trains themselves can be targets, as has happened in London and Madrid. Even then, a bomb isn't going to destroy an entire train like bringing an airplane down, the damage would likely be limited to one car. Also remember that if someone were intent on damaging a train, putting something onboard is not the only option, there is 2000 miles of track that can be fooled with too.

So adding security theater to trains would be largely pointless, expensive and it would essentially mean all small stations would have to close.

No I don't have the mastercard. I have to wait until Monday to call. I have managed to get my daughter's sent to my address (even though she isn't going on the train) because it is registered in my e-mail address. I think mine may have been registered to a old e-mail address that I no longer have.

The only way to stop this threat is to prohibit all Muslims from air travel but it would be considered discrimination.
As it damned well should be. Not only would it be discrimination, it would be ineffective. Some of my closest friends are muslims, and most of them are peace loving people just like most non-Americans who wish the other 1% would find a short dock and take a long walk off it wearing lead shoes.

Meanwhile... Was David Koresh muslim? Was Randy Weaver? Ted Kaczynski? Timothy McVeigh? Janet Napolitano? They're all essentially terrorists. And not Muslims.

The statement is wrong, discriminatory, and despicable. If it was intended as humour, the humour was in horrendously bad taste. Like ****ing Brussels sprouts bad taste.

GML, that is now the second statement made by dlagrua that shows his attitude - which is xenophobic at best. The first was a comment in the thread about sharing a roommette with a stranger when he made a blatantly homophobic comment, and now this one which demonstrates an intolerant opinion of muslims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back