NE Trip on Amtrak from Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend and I are thinking of flying into Boston (our time is too short to do all rail) and then travel on Amtrak. One of the things on my bucket list is to visit all 50 states. Three I have not visited are Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. My friend would be interested in traveling within sight of the ocean (if that is at all possible). We will also need transportation from the airport and a hotel to stay at in Boston convenient to the train station. We're both 60ish, female, able-bodied, but not athletic. We'll probably want to do some sightseeing in Boston, but might also consider spending a night or two along the rail trail at some place fun or unique. I'd be glad to include any other information that might be helpful. Thanx in advance for your help.

Welcome! :)

If you are flying into Boston, you could consider staying at one of the airport hotels. The Silver Line runs right from Logan Airport to South Station. All Amtrak trains (EXCEPT the Maine service) depart from South Station. For the Maine service (the Downeaster), you depart from North Station. (This can be reached by taking a Blue line T [subway] to the Orange Line - which goes to North Station.)

Part of the Downeaster near Portland travels within sight of the ocean. But another option to get near the ocean is to take a train (either the Regional or Acela) to New Haven, CT to connect to the Vermonter. Between Westerly, RI and Old Saybrook, CT this line travels within sight of the ocean (actually the Long Island Sound). At times, this line is within FEET of the water! :cool:

The Vermonter travels though both Vermont and New Hampshire. And the Downeaster travels through both New Hampshire and Maine.

I would recommend the Acela. The windows are bigger
Why would one take the acela if the OP wants to visit Maine, NH and vermont? The acela doesn't go to any of those states.

Your best bet would be to take the Downeaster, which goes through NH and Maine. It leaves from NORTH STATION in Boston. The most convenient hotel to North Station is the Onyx Hotel, which is a beautiful Kimpton Property. I stay there fairly often when I need to overnight in Boston and I love it. Sometimes they even have special discounts for those traveling on the train.

I also think that the business class upgrade is definitely worth it on the Downeaster - its the 2-1 seating in business class.

The travelers thoughts about taking the vermonter from new Haven is also a good one. There are lots of beautiful ocean views between Boston and New Haven. Of course then you would want to take acela between Boston and New haven for the big windows and good views.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are visiting New Hampshire then you really need to visit Mt. Washington. There is a train for that, www.thecog.com.

There is also the Maine Eastern Railroad from Brunswick to Rockland. Never done it, but it looks nice.

Really you need a car to explore those states so you could take the Downeaster to Portland and rent a car from there. I have rented a car from Portland a couple of times and the rates have been competitive since, well there is competition. If you do something like ride the Vermonter you will be put off at a location that has much less competition.

You all are amazing. I'd never thought to go south to get north. The Onyx looks nice as well. I'll start my research. May be back with more questions. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back