Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayndim

Train Attendant
I will be taking the train from Maricopa to New Orleans in April on Sunset Limited 1. I have a few questions.

1. I have a sleeper. Do they ever overbook? In other words, any chance I won't get my sleeper. Since I have a room number I am assuming that they won't but.... I guess I am worried they will sell it to someone before they get to Maricopa.

2. I drink alot of water- about 6 bottles . Should I bring some or will what they provide be sufficient?

3. What food do you recommend? Anything to avoid.

Thanks

Andrea

1. I have a sleeper. Do they ever overbook? In other words, any chance I won't get my sleeper. Since I have a room number I am assuming that they won't but.... I guess I am worried they will sell it to someone before they get to Maricopa.
If you have a room number, short of equipment being bad ordered (removed from the train), that room is yours.

2. I drink alot of water- about 6 bottles . Should I bring some or will what they provide be sufficient?
You might want to bring some. They offer small bottles of water, but their stock is limited and there have been times when they ration in order to have enough for the rest of the trip. I'm the same way. I drink lots too and I have brought some of my own and 'squirreled' their stock until I ran out of mine.

3. What food do you recommend? Anything to avoid.
I have always been partial to the flat iron steak for dinner. I also like both the regular burger and veggie burger (surprisingly good) for lunch. But of course it depends on what you like. I can't say there is anything to avoid except what you don't like. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't overbook. Unless there's some kind of mistake, your room will be ready for you.

Your room should already have a couple of bottles of water in it when you get onboard, with at least some additional water available from your sleeping car attendant. You might want to bring a couple of extra bottles, but you certainly don't need to bring a lot.

Food tends to vary quite a bit depending on the dining car crew, so I would just recommend ordering whatever looks good. Menus are posted on the Amtrak web site. I haven't found anything that's consistently bad.

I'll second the "surprisingly good" description for the veggie burger. I'm a meat-lover and don't usually go for stuff like that, but I had it for lunch yesterday since it was one of the few things I hadn't tried yet. The spicy bean patty had a nice little kick to it.

As far as the water bottles, the ones on board are really small (8 ounces), but they do have water spigots and cups near the coffee area of each car, if you don't mind the taste of the tap water. I've been drinking it since Friday and haven't gotten sick or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back