Pennsylvanian & Philadelphia station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJW

We are taking Pennsylvanian 44 in June from PGH to NYC in BC. Is there a best side for Horseshoe curve and other “scenery”? Are there any good places to grab meal to go in Philly or near station. We are returning to PGH on 43. Is there a lounge in NYC we can use before departure? Any advice appreciated.

The best view of Horseshoe Curve is on the right side eastbound and left side westbound.

I'm confused! :blink: You're going from PGH to NYP, but you asked about meals in or near PHL. The Pennsylvanian goes from PGH to NYP. The stop in PHL is just that - a stop! There is not enough time to get out and go get a meal!

The BC car is setup with 2 seats on one side and 1 seat on the other of the car. Therefore if you want to sit together, you will not have a choice of which side to sit on.

The Business Class car is one end of the Lounge Car. It is the old syle car and very comfortable.

The best view of Horseshoe Curve is on the right side eastbound and left side westbound.
I'm confused! :blink: You're going from PGH to NYP, but you asked about meals in or near PHL. The Pennsylvanian goes from PGH to NYP. The stop in PHL is just that - a stop! There is not enough time to get out and go get a meal!
Well, I've detrained in PHL, run upstairs to McDonald's in 30th St. Station and grabbed a bite before the Pennsy departed. The only downside was that I had to bring my ticket stub and wait in line with all of the other passengers boarding in PHL!

Well, I've detrained in PHL, run upstairs to McDonald's in 30th St. Station and grabbed a bite before the Pennsy departed. The only downside was that I had to bring my ticket stub and wait in line with all of the other passengers boarding in PHL!
tip a redcap a couple of bucks and they'll gladly send you down on the elevator before boarding.

I've seen people go from the train to MickeyD's and get back on the platform without the gate keepers asking.
Steve
Thanks to you all for info. The reason I asked about PHL was I have found food in club car not all that good and didn't know is PHL had a good fast food so we could grab a bite on the run. Maybe we will look for a spot in PGH and have big meal before we leave. Since its Sunday our departure isn't until 1320. Any suggestions in PGH station area. thanks again

Thanks to you all for info. The reason I asked about PHL was I have found food in club car not all that good and didn't know is PHL had a good fast food so we could grab a bite on the run. Maybe we will look for a spot in PGH and have big meal before we leave. Since its Sunday our departure isn't until 1320. Any suggestions in PGH station area. thanks again
The Pittsburgh Amtrak station is a spartan place, so there is no separate lounge for BC passengers. However, it is located just a few short blocks from Pittsburgh's famed Strip District, which has plenty of eateries.

If you want to have breakfast, check out a great greasy spoon, DeLuca's at 1015 Penn Ave. If you are dining on a weekend, be prepared for long lines for a table.

The Pittsburgh Amtrak station is a spartan place, so there is no separate lounge for BC passengers. However, it is located just a few short blocks from Pittsburgh's famed Strip District, which has plenty of eateries.

If you want to have breakfast, check out a great greasy spoon, DeLuca's at 1015 Penn Ave. If you are dining on a weekend, be prepared for long lines for a table.
Pittsburgh is also not a 'Taxi town'. There may be a taxi or two at the station if you are lucky.

Roland's is an excellent restaurant in the Strip District as well, 1904 Penn Ave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back