Fight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
too bad. does amtrak have a policy on allowing intoxicated persons to board? i have seen a lot of alcohol abuse on amtrak and am bothered by it. it is a rare journey in the ppc where i haven't seen one passenger or a group obviously drunk and interferring with my and my kids experience. i suppose amtrak makes a fair amount off of booze sales but i would not mind an alcohol ban or at least "no public consumption" on trains. not going to happen but considering smoking used to be allowed nearly anywhere on trains and is now banned, who knows?
Puh-lease. Instead of banning it, like we do everything else, how about we just install a "reasonable and prudent" law like we should be doing with everything else?

Fact of the matter is, me happily sipping a martini with my lunch doesn't interfere with other peoples experience on the train. It should not be banned. A guy ****-drunk raving like a lunatic should be thrown off the train. The crime isn't in his consumption of alcohol- there is nothing wrong with that. His crime is in being irresponsible. Drunk is not an excuse for being irresponsible. You chose to be responsible in how much alcohol you imbibe. And that is the truth.

Well said, GML.

in my original reply where is suggested "no booze on amtrak" i was obviously playing devil's advocate or perhpas engaging in wishful thinking (although not too many years ago if i suggested "no smoking on amtrak" the replies posted would have been similar). i have seen too many people on amtrak who are under the influence. ranging from acting silly, to being a bother to other passengers, to being a bother to the crew. i think amtrak is between a rock and a hard place. i have seen people sent to their rooms but, afaik, have not been on a train where someone was put off for overdrinking no matter how obnoxious. just as smokers have to get along without their addiction maybe for the good of all drinkers should forego booze on the train. not going to happen but i'm not real sure why not

Fact of the matter is, me happily sipping a martini with my lunch doesn't interfere with other peoples experience on the train. It should not be banned.
Well said...

shakennotstirred.jpg

Cheers! ;-)

ExtonFlyer

live from p091-2

:lol: :lol: "Shaken, not stirred!" :lol: :lol:

I thought I was bad with my cooler for wine, complete with glasses, corkscrew, napkins & cutting board! :cool:

(Wish we could still smoke on board!)

i have seen too many people on amtrak who are under the influence. ranging from acting silly, to being a bother to other passengers, to being a bother to the crew.
Most people drink responsibly, so why ban drinking because some people who drink act silly? Some people cause serious problems without any artificial help.

Why not deal with those people who are causing a problem regardless of the reason?

just as smokers have to get along without their addiction maybe for the good of all drinkers should forego booze on the train. not going to happen but i'm not real sure why not
This language sounds extremely judgmental.

The very act of smoking in a confined space releases all kinds of carcinogens into the atmosphere that everyone else has to breathe. Given that, no matter how responsible a smoker wants to be otherwise, they end up causing direct harm to their fellow passengers.

How do people who drink responsibly cause a similar problem?

--

Bud

:lol: :lol: "Shaken, not stirred!" :lol: :lol: I thought I was bad with my cooler for wine, complete with glasses, corkscrew, napkins & cutting board! :cool:

Of course I could drag out the 50s-vintage "suitcase nuke" porta-bar complete with stainless steel bar ware and room for 2 bottles :lol:

:lol: :lol: "Shaken, not stirred!" :lol: :lol: I thought I was bad with my cooler for wine, complete with glasses, corkscrew, napkins & cutting board! :cool:

Of course I could drag out the 50s-vintage "suitcase nuke" porta-bar complete with stainless steel bar ware and room for 2 bottles :lol:
:lol: Why not ? :lol: If that's what you want to bring...I found all sorts of cool sets like that online when I was looking for the wine cooler.

Well, I am not a big drinker. I don't ever get drunk, but I enjoy beer. I enjoy the aroma and flavor of beer - the first time it's processed by ME. I don't like sitting next to someone passed out smelling like stale beer, and I really prefer not to be seated next to an individual who decides to enjoy his consumed malty hops a second time.

When I was a wee boy scout in Japan, my buddy and I had to ride home with the drunks. It stunk and people puked. Not to mention a wee bit dangerous for a couple of foreign white boys in their teens on a train full of drunks. As much as I loved riding the trains there, it was a contributing factor for me to drop out of scouting.

Well, I am not a big drinker. I don't ever get drunk, but I enjoy beer. I enjoy the aroma and flavor of beer - the first time it's processed by ME. I don't like sitting next to someone passed out smelling like stale beer, and I really prefer not to be seated next to an individual who decides to enjoy his consumed malty hops a second time.
When I was a wee boy scout in Japan, my buddy and I had to ride home with the drunks. It stunk and people puked. Not to mention a wee bit dangerous for a couple of foreign white boys in their teens on a train full of drunks. As much as I loved riding the trains there, it was a contributing factor for me to drop out of scouting.

I'm not either. It's a rarity for us to get drunk.

We take the wine along because it's a special occasion when we travel. We don't always drink it on the train, either.

Last time we took a bottle of Champagne we bought 2 years back. Took it for our overnighter at a hotel on our anniversary. We still haven't consumed it.

Me, I'm not fond of Beer at all. It smells gross for the most part to me, tastes just as bad.

I have had Beer that wasn't too bad, a son in law made some Raspberry Wheat that was tolerable. I think I drank one.

Bummer. I think I would avoid any public conveyance if it's full of drunks, not the Boy Scouts.

Pfft.

These guys have no excuse whatever for their behavior ("Sorry your Honor - I was drunk and don't remember a thing." Doesn't matter that they harmed somebody they were supposed to respect because that person had the authority to kick them off - they threatened the safety of the train to start with.

Who knows how they got on - maybe they didn't LOOK as drunk or they behaved themselves at first.

I've also found if a drunk is pestering me, I start to talk about Jesus and my faith and throw out a bible verse or two. They usually run after the first comment or two. It works every time for me.
This is a much better way to handle things than trying to regulate everyone's morality.
I think you missed the point, RailfanLNK was telling us how he gets rid of drunks,

not attempting to regulate anyone's morality! As a former clergyman, I find his way

of handling things amusing! :)

Pfft.
These guys have no excuse whatever for their behavior ("Sorry your Honor - I was drunk and don't remember a thing." Doesn't matter that they harmed somebody they were supposed to respect because that person had the authority to kick them off - they threatened the safety of the train to start with.

Who knows how they got on - maybe they didn't LOOK as drunk or they behaved themselves at first.
They have a no fly list, maybe repeat offenders should be put on a "no ride" list by Amtrak? Might keep some of the repeat troublemakers who have drinking problems from ruining everyone elses trip.

Don't other businesses have the right to ban troublesome persons from their premises?

Gord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back