How do we recover checked baggage at an unmanned station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dords

Train Attendant
Good morning everyone. Hope you are all having a great day. :D The weather where we are in NZ is hot and sunny - around 87°F. Beautiful!

We are well on the way with planning for our major trip across the States and back, but have come up against one problem and can't seem to get an answer from Amtrak.

Because we are in the States for a month, we were going to bring our larger suitcases. (32" x 20" x 12"). All o.k. until we have to travel from Albuqurque to Williams, which we understand is an unmanned station? Presumably the suitcases would be too large for the coach and have to be stowed in the baggage car, so how do we reclaim them when we get to Williams?

The same problem arises on the leg - Niagara to NY we think - can't see any facility to check baggage in Niagara.

I'm sure some of you will know what to do.

Cheers

You will not be permitted to check them in the baggage car. Your only recourse is to either change your reservation to where you can travel from Albuqurque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ (that stop has checked luggage service) or simply carry them on the train as "carry on" luggage to go to Williams Jct, AZ (I assume you might be going to the Grand Canyon National Park. You can still get there from Flagstaff).

If you don't have too many other carry on items, you shouldn't have too much problem. But if you have additional carry on luggage, then you may have something to deal with. Remember, Laptops, baby diaper bags, purses, etc, do not count towads the "carry on" luggage limit. You just have to be able to handle all of your carry on luggage on your own.

Hope you enjoy your trip....

OBS gone freight...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very easy question to answer!

Unless BOTH stations offer checked baggage service, you can not check baggage!

The Southwest Chief is Superliner equipment, and has a large luggage rack on the lower lever of each car. There is no checked baggage service on the Empire Service which is single level equipment, but there is plenty of space in the overhead racks (it is NOTHING like planes) and at the end of the cars for bags.

This is a very easy question to answer!
Unless BOTH stations offer checked baggage service, you can not check baggage!

The Southwest Chief is Superliner equipment, and has a large luggage rack on the lower lever of each car. There is no checked baggage service on the Empire Service which is single level equipment, but there is plenty of space in the overhead racks (it is NOTHING like planes) and at the end of the cars for bags.
The Empire Service overhead racks can handle how large of a bag?

RF

The overhead rack on the Empire Service trains is as big as on any other Amfleet train, and IIRC as on a Superliner. The difference is that because it is single level, there is no lower level rack, but you don't have to carry it to the upper level up the stairs!

The overhead rack on the Empire Service trains is as big as on any other Amfleet train, and IIRC as on a Superliner. The difference is that because it is single level, there is no lower level rack, but you don't have to carry it to the upper level up the stairs!
I wouldnt know if I'd been on an Amfleet train! :lol: I just bought a 32" duffle, would that fit or do I stick strictly to Amtrak.com Measurements?

RF

You've been on trains? :huh: Anything east of Chicago and New Orleans (except the Auto Train, CL or Acela) is either Amfleet or Horizon (which basically has the same luggage rack). This includes the Silver Service, which is Amfleet. Any west of there (plus the AT and CL) are basically Superliners. (There are a few exceptions.)

You've been on trains? :huh: Anything east of Chicago and New Orleans (except the Auto Train, CL or Acela) is either Amfleet or Horizon (which basically has the same luggage rack). This includes the Silver Service, which is Amfleet. Any west of there (plus the AT and CL) are basically Superliners. (There are a few exceptions.)

So, single level are Amfleets? (what's the difference in Amfleet I & II?)

Horizon?

Heritage?

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
This might not help you, but you can check your baggage to the nearest station that handles baggage, even though you're getting off at a different station. Why would anyone do that? Well, here in Cary, NC, our station is unmanned and has good parking. Raleigh is only 10 miles away and is manned (therefore it handles baggage), but has little parking. So, we make a trip to Raleigh to drop off/pick up the bags even though we personally get on/off at Cary.

This year that craziness should stop when Cary becomes a manned station and starts handling baggage.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

Good morning everyone. Hope you are all having a great day. :D The weather where we are in NZ is hot and sunny - around 87°F. Beautiful!
We are well on the way with planning for our major trip across the States and back, but have come up against one problem and can't seem to get an answer from Amtrak.

Because we are in the States for a month, we were going to bring our larger suitcases. (32" x 20" x 12"). All o.k. until we have to travel from Albuqurque to Williams, which we understand is an unmanned station? Presumably the suitcases would be too large for the coach and have to be stowed in the baggage car, so how do we reclaim them when we get to Williams?

The same problem arises on the leg - Niagara to NY we think - can't see any facility to check baggage in Niagara.

I'm sure some of you will know what to do.

Cheers
Just reading your post again; you say are going across the states and back; so is Williams just a stop on the way?

You can't check a bag to Williams (as others have said) but if you're going to be heading to, say LA after Williams you can check a bag straight through and Amtrak will keep it in LA for a few days for you. I think there is a limit after which they can start charging for this.

So if you only need some stuff in Williams and have more than one bag; you could check everything else to somewhere further on in your trip; and keep what you need in Williams with you as carry-on.

Dords, I spent last October travelling eastern US and Canada with my husband, mostly by train. We are Australian. One thing we found when unable to check luggage, was that the luggage spaces in various cars were large, yes, but mostly filled by smallish carry-on type bags which could easily have been lifted up onto overhead racks, but weren't. This meant that on one occasion, on the Adirondack, my husband had to lift our month's worth of luggage onto the overhead racks. There was just nowhere else to put it. His back suffered. There was quite a rush getting onto the train, as in the US/Canada, the boarding system is that pax line up until the "go" is given a few minutes before departure. Therefore, if you are not skilled in getting to the front of the ensuing stampede, others may fill the floor level luggage spaces. The day we travelled from Montreal to New York, the train was booked out. We realised far too late that a way around this issue is to use the services of a porter/redcap. I believe they can get you and your luggage out of the line and onto the train ahead of time. Others will correct me or confirm, I am sure. A good tip would be well worth it.

Another surprising thing we found was that there are seats in some trains at least, certainly the Adirondack, where you cannot see out of the window. In the centre of each car are two seats on each side where you have a substantial amount of blank wall next to you, probably 90% of your view. As our stampede skills are lacking, naturally we got these seats. Pretty disappointing, after flying halfway around the world and especially booking on a train travelling through beautiful countryside in the peak of fall. I believe Amtrak should not expect people to travel for 12 hours in seats looking at a wall. It certainly encourages people to fly next time. This space could easily be used for luggage storage. I have never seen it mentioned here, excellent as the information usually is. Perhaps members could let us know which trains have these viewless seats? Again, a redcap would no doubt be helpful.

Other train trips were great. I'm sure you will have a great time, but the more planning and info, the better.

So, single level are Amfleets? (what's the difference in Amfleet I & II?)Horizon?

Heritage?

RF
Yes, Superliners and California cars are bi-level while the others are single level. Heritage cars are originals from the original railroads 39 years ago. I'm not sure, but I think Horizons are similar to those older cars. Amfleet (AF) I cars are the original cars with the tight seating, basically used on NEC Regionals. AFII are any LD cars, like you find on the Silver Service.

And even though you didn't ask, Viewliners are single level sleepers. (There is one prototype Viewliner Diner also.) And Talgos and Acela are also single level trains.

So, single level are Amfleets? (what's the difference in Amfleet I & II?)

Horizon?

Heritage?

RF
here check these links out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfleet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_%28railcar%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_Fleet_%28Amtrak%29

Amtrak has several types of equipment operating: Amfleet, Superliner, California/Surfliner, Horizon, Heritage, Viewliner, Talgo, Metroliner, and Acela.

Three types (Amfleet I, Amfleet II, and Metroliner) are based on the same body shell. They are single level and curved.

Metroliner: Originally bought by the USDOT for high-speed service under Pennsylvania and PennCentral. They were electrical multiple units and operated in pairs, with connection possibilities between pairs. A long time ago, they had their motive power equipment removed and were converted to cab-cars. You will see these operate on the Keystones and Springfield shuttles.

Amfleet I: Built on the same shell as the Metroliner, it was basically a Metroliner-coach, missing the drivers cabs on the ends, the electrical equipment, and having automatic doors plus the ability to use low platforms via folding stairs. They run all over the Amtrak system on short distance routes.

Amfleet II: A medium-distance car used primarily as a long-distance car. The Amfleet II was designed to be used on long-run day trains, like the Palmetto and Vermonter. Not having its long-distance Viewliner coaches built as planned, the Amfleet IIs were eventually shifted onto long-distance duty where they remain today. They differ from the Amfleet Is in having larger windows, a single vestibule with manual doors, and a larger seat pitch.

Horizon: This is what you call a stop-gap measure. Desperate for equipment, Amtrak piggybacked on a NJ Transit order, building some short-distance cars for California service out of commuter equipment. They have been no end of an Amheadache and run primarily out of Chicago, which is amusing since they are not good in cold weather. They aren't particularly stable at speed, either, which is why you don't see them running the Corridor.

Heritage This is a motley group of cars inherited from other railroads and converted to operate on head-end-power. The only cars still running of what was a fleet of over 1700 running cars are: 31 baggage cars so built, 34 coaches converted to baggage cars, 19 dining cars, 5 lounge cars in use on the Coast Starlight, 7 coaches and lounges sold to NCDOT, 3 sleepers used by the Inspector General's office, and a full length dome, or a total of 90 cars.

Superliner: There are two generations (one built by Pullman, the other by Bombardier) but there isn't anything exceptionally different about them. They are bi-level and designed for long-distance service, which the serve admirably on ALL long distance trains that do not server New York.

Viewliner: Originally intended to be a several-hundred-car fleet of baggage, baggage-dorm, coach, lounge, diner, and sleeping cars (plus possible Slumbercoaches) so far only 1 diner and 52 sleepers have been built. Everything I have heard so far, however, indicates that the Viewliner will become the basic shell for every single-level national fleet car. Currently there is an RFP for 25 diners, 25 bag-dorms, 50 baggage, and 25 sleeper cars, with options for more. However, I have heard about plans to order something like 500 short-distance coaches, 175 long-distance coaches, 75 cafe cars, 25 lounges, 100 cab cars, and 25 high-speed train sets based on the design- eventually these would replace the Amfleet, Metroliner, and Acela fleets.

Surfliner: A short-distance inter-city coach based on the basic Superliner shell.

Acela: Amtrak's high-speed train set.

Talgo: A unique group of cars used only on the Cascades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back