Chicago Tribune: "Why Union Station doesn't work"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article, esp. with the comments! I agree that the Chicago Union Station is a disgrace. Great Hall is a grandeur but empty. I still get lost in the dungeon, it goes round and round until you found what you've looking for.

I agree it is a disgrace! As long as you arrive by train, go right to the Metropolitan Lounge and stay there, then leave by train, it's not to bad. But even just going from the south tracks to the Lounge, you have too go thru a maze! :blink: And The Great Hall is fabulous :cool: , but it can't be used very easily.

Come on you guys. :rolleyes: It's not THAT bad. Certainly it could be better, but it's what we have to work with now, so just relax and learn to live with it. :D

I agree. Go directly to the Metropolitan Lounge and check your carry-on. But then go out and wander around. Nobody's going to accost you. Go upstairs and check out the food court. Go out and check out the gates. Go up and check out the outside. Nobody's going to accost you, and the Amtrak police are there and doing their job, as are the Chicago police on their bicycles. :cool:

I'll be in NYP next week for the first time. I hope that I can present a more objective comparison once I've seen another LARGE city station. But so far, I like the Union Station in CHI.

Come on you guys. :rolleyes: It's not THAT bad. Certainly it could be better, but it's what we have to work with now, so just relax and learn to live with it. :D
I agree. Go directly to the Metropolitan Lounge and check your carry-on. But then go out and wander around. Nobody's going to accost you. Go upstairs and check out the food court. Go out and check out the gates. Go up and check out the outside. Nobody's going to accost you, and the Amtrak police are there and doing their job, as are the Chicago police on their bicycles. :cool:

I'll be in NYP next week for the first time. I hope that I can present a more objective comparison once I've seen another LARGE city station. But so far, I like the Union Station in CHI.
ThayerATM... if you really want to see a Large Station you have to to go Philadelphia 30th Street... now THAT is a train station!

I like Chicago Union over NYP... at least PART of the historic station is still there. As for security.. ha... no one is gonna complain about "shady characters" in Chicago once they have been to NYP. Ditto on the "maze" reference. Admittedly I've been lost in both stations before, but CHI doesn't have 3 seperate boarding area (Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR) to get lost amongst.

ThayerATM... if you really want to see a Large Station you have to to go Philadelphia 30th Street... now THAT is a train station!

I like Chicago Union over NYP... at least PART of the historic station is still there. As for security.. ha... no one is gonna complain about "shady characters" in Chicago once they have been to NYP. Ditto on the "maze" reference. Admittedly I've been lost in both stations before, but CHI doesn't have 3 seperate boarding area (Amtrak, NJ Transit, LIRR) to get lost amongst.
I assume by that that you mean the Philly Train station is a Large Station that works. :huh: I can buy that. And I certainly don't mean to imply that I always know where the heck I am in Union Station in CHI. I'm just afraid that NYP is going to make CHI look like a piece of cake. :( I won't know about Philly for sure 'till I get down there. I'll let you know about NYP in a couple of weeks. :ph34r:

I assume by that that you mean the Philly Train station is a Large Station that works. :huh: I can buy that. And I certainly don't mean to imply that I always know where the heck I am in Union Station in CHI. I'm just afraid that NYP is going to make CHI look like a piece of cake. :( I won't know about Philly for sure 'till I get down there. I'll let you know about NYP in a couple of weeks. :ph34r:
Haha... yea that's what I mean. Well... I guess what I mean is that its a historic station, that is large, and it's fairly simple and works. So yea. Mostly its just plain beautiful...

No need to worry... you'll get turned around a bit most likely in NYP but it's a fascinating place. One thing that NYP has going for it are "landmarks" that is different areas of the station look different. What always confuses me about Chicago is it kinda all looks the same.

I would also agree that Chicago Union Station could use some help. The Amtrak waiting areas are often very crowded, making it difficult to figure out which lines lead to which gates/trains. I wish that the Great Hall was better utilized. Perhaps some of the Amtrak functions that are currently located in the concourse portion (ticket counters, etc.) could be moved to the Great Hall portion, opening up more space to create a larger Amtrak waiting area?

Haha... yea that's what I mean. Well... I guess what I mean is that its a historic station, that is large, and it's fairly simple and works. So yea. Mostly its just plain beautiful...

No need to worry... you'll get turned around a bit most likely in NYP but it's a fascinating place. One thing that NYP has going for it are "landmarks" that is different areas of the station look different. What always confuses me about Chicago is it kinda all looks the same.
I guess I've got to clarify something right now. I'm not an architect, and I know nothing about architecture. The fine points of comparing CHI to NYP to PHL architectually is totally lost on me. I'm looking for "user friendly." Once I get my bearings, I'm apt to look at things like the great hall at CHI, but 'till then... forget it. :unsure:

I've certainly been in the CHI station enough to make it "user friendly" enough for me. I rather liked Seattle's King Street Station, but it's certainly not large. I'm sure it'll be beautiful once they get done renovating, but it's very "user friendly" today.

So today, "user friendly" is my priority. When I get old and cranky, beauty of architecture might well become a priority. :lol: That is --- after I learn how to get around in the durn station. :lol:

One thing about Chicago Union Station is that it's actually very small. Even if you get turned around, you're not more than a handful of steps away from at least being able to see where it is you're trying to go.

I would also agree that Chicago Union Station could use some help. The Amtrak waiting areas are often very crowded, making it difficult to figure out which lines lead to which gates/trains. I wish that the Great Hall was better utilized. Perhaps some of the Amtrak functions that are currently located in the concourse portion (ticket counters, etc.) could be moved to the Great Hall portion, opening up more space to create a larger Amtrak waiting area?
This is almost ready to start. The Metropolitan Lounge and the ticket counter are to be relocated to the area between the Metra ticket counter and the Great Hall. This will allow the current Amtrak waiting area to be enlarged.

:rolleyes: :unsure: :rolleyes:

edited for arthritic fingers

Last edited by a moderator:
This is almost ready to start. The Metropolitan Lounge and the ticket counter are to be relocated to the area between the Metra ticket counter and the Great Hall/ this will allow the current Amtrak waiting area to be enlarged.

This is a done deal? I had not heard/read that before. Good to hear. Do you have a link to any of the plans or know roughly when this move will take place?

Oh, by the way, are you referring to the space on the north side or the south side of the corridor from the Great Hall to the Metra ticket counter/Amtrak baggage claim area?

This is a done deal? I had not heard/read that before. Good to hear. Do you have a link to any of the plans or know roughly when this move will take place?
Oh, by the way, are you referring to the space on the north side or the south side of the corridor from the Great Hall to the Metra ticket counter/Amtrak baggage claim area?
This is from Amtrak's FY10 budget, page 76:

Chicago Union Station improvements ($13.0M): Project will relocate CUS MetropolitanLounge to head house; renovate the coach boarding lounge, convert lounge G to public

restrooms; install 72 sets of head house entry doors; install induction lighting; restoration of

head house facade; install a new HVAC for the great hall and the 2nd and 3rd floors of the

station, replace 12 escalators; replace tactile edging along the platforms; renovate pedway;

install head house sprinkler system; replace both exterior and interior windows throughout

the 2nd of 8th floors throughout the head house, and modernize elevators (4 passenger, 2

freight).
I don't understand why everyone seems to hate CUS so much. I've always thought that Amtrak does a good job there given the limited space they have to work with. It pales in comparison to Washington or Philly but it's infinitely better than NYP.

This is almost ready to start. The Metropolitan Lounge and the ticket counter are to be relocated to the area between the Metra ticket counter and the Great Hall/ this will allow the current Amtrak waiting area to be enlarged.

Nothing official as of yet. But a very good source money is in this FY budget. Metro Deli's future?

But as of now both sides of corridor to be used. One source says ticket counters to be on one side with possibly some ticket sales station on the East side of Great Hall with Metropolitan Lounge other side of corridor. Possible entrance off Clinton St West side with elevators. Will update when I hear more info.

:) :) :)

This is good news! While the current "new" Metro Lounge was being remodeled they had a temporary Metro Lounge off the Great hall where a gallery is now! I've always thought the Great Hall and the rest of the station could be better used by Amtrak. Didnt know that Amtrak owned the station, that's the problem with LAX! Look forward to more info and it really happening, thanks!

I remember in 1983 at Chicago, I was able to take a shower off the Great Hall. The facility wasn't great, but was usable. The showers do not exist now.

If you go to the same link that started this thread, the same column had two subsequent articles about Union Station also, the last of which lamented how the demolition of the original boarding area wasn't even noticed hardly by the press at the time. it's a great column, both talking about Union Station and Chicago architecture in general. Kind of sad, however, discussing some of the other buildings that fell by the wayside over the years.

They have tons of unused space in the Great Hall. Hopefully they figure out a way to utilize it for Amtrak. The current Metro Lounge is way too small, so I expect a new one will be larger. Great idea to put some ticketing etc. in the Great Hall.

If they think the area is too far from the tracks just put a "people mover" conveyer belt type walkway system in the station like they use at many airports. Those things can't be that expensive.

I don't understand why everyone seems to hate CUS so much. I've always thought that Amtrak does a good job there given the limited space they have to work with. It pales in comparison to Washington or Philly but it's infinitely better than NYP.
My problem with CUS is the lack of corridor/waiting space. It is very difficult to move around and when you get to where you need to be, finding a place to wait is difficult, even in the Metropolitan Lounge if you arrive later.

AND, when you get to where you need to be, the abhorrent (****-like) attitude of the gate workers (not the Metropolitan Lounge workers though) should be a a true embarrassment to Amtrak. You don't see that nearly as much (if at all) in WAS, PHL or NYP.

Edit: the **** represents the German government of WWII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Union Station, it would be nice if it functioned as a transit point for all travelers. I've always been dismayed by this snotty, officious sign. Does this mean that someone who's arrived on Amtrak and is now eating a sandwich purchased from a station vendor can't wait inside for Megabus?

Speaking of Union Station, it would be nice if it functioned as a transit point for all travelers. I've always been dismayed by this snotty, officious sign. Does this mean that someone who's arrived on Amtrak and is now eating a sandwich purchased from a station vendor can't wait inside for Megabus?
No, the sign specifically says "unless you are patronizing a Chicago Union Station Establishment".

Amtrak got tired of paying for Megabus customers, and I can't blame them. Mega wants to free load off Amtrak, while competing for Amtrak customers. That's a lot like taxing the RR's to pay for our highways. Oh wait, we already did that. :lol:

It's all in one's perspective, I guess. I've never found Union Station that bad. And though I've never seen it, from what I've heard, it may just be a tad better than Beaumont. TX for instance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, the sign specifically says "unless you are patronizing a Chicago Union Station Establishment".

Amtrak got tired of paying for Megabus customers, and I can't blame them. Mega wants to free load off Amtrak, while competing for Amtrak customers. That's a lot like taxing the RR's to pay for our highways. Oh wait, we already did that. :lol:
In fact,

When Megabus first started, they simply drove right to the front of Union Station and dropped off or picked up their passengers there(Canal Street)...they never asked permission to do so, and the City later cracked down on them (they pick up and drop off a block away now...or at least they did until Jackson avenue was torn up). I think this choice by Megabus gave the their passengers the idea that Megabus was somehow linked to Union Station and that meant the passengers could stand in the Canal Street lobby and block egress into/out of the station. Let alone 3-4 extra buses blocking traffic on Canal Street..It was a real mess Inthanlon and that was why Amtrak/Metra posted that sign and the City of Chicago cracked down on them! :angry:

There is nothing in NYP. Get outside and dine with the street vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back