Rain and cold Recomendations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
Well, looks like Friday 29 January Sunset Ltd #2 will hit rain by Arizona and sub freezing temps in eastern NM and El Paso according to www.weather.com Any suggestions for extras to take on board. Is their climate control in the bedrooms?

Well, looks like Friday 29 January Sunset Ltd #2 will hit rain by Arizona and sub freezing temps in eastern NM and El Paso according to www.weather.com Any suggestions for extras to take on board. Is their climate control in the bedrooms?
There are heat & AC in the bedrooms. Sometimes running at the same time. With luck, you'll have controls that work. On the CZ in November, I had to duct tape a brochure over the AC vent because it was running. After that the room was very comfortable.

There are heat & AC in the bedrooms. Sometimes running at the same time. With luck, you'll have controls that work. On the CZ in November, I had to duct tape a brochure over the AC vent because it was running. After that the room was very comfortable.
So is this why I hear to always bring duct tape?

Yes! Never leave home without it! It has proved itself very valuable on many a trip.

Yes! Never leave home without it! It has proved itself very valuable on many a trip.
Well if it is going to be that cold, thank goodness I am upstairs. Could make it quite cold having the door open and close all night.

Like Apollo 13.

The duct tape can also be combined with schedules/route folders or safety tip brochures to cover the A/C vents that don't close correctly (Most of them in my experience! :lol: ) The A/C is pretty strong on Superliners, there is also a vent right outside the door in the hall that blows cold air so youll need to close your door to keep out the cold, the curtain alone isnt enough! Once the room is closed up with the vents properly covered it can get very warm/snug in the room!(the temp control knob by the lights controls NOTHING! :blink: )

Last but not least it can be very cold downstairs in the restrooms and shower room also even if the water is nice and hot! In the winter I try not to use the shower when it's very cold down there! Also some cars on the train will be cold/some hot (coaches especially), the lounge and the diner tend to be pretty nice when it's very cold outside! The Trans-Dorm IME tends to be very comfortable at all times since the Conductor and OBS spend time there! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The temperature knob does nothing to the air coming out of the ceiling vent. What it does is control a baseboard heater under the window, which has heat coming out of vents at floor level by each seat.

However, in warm weather the heaters are shut off, so you can't do anything if the A/C is freezing you out, other than blocking the vent.

However, in warm weather the heaters are shut off, so you can't do anything if the A/C is freezing you out, other than blocking the vent.
Sometimes. But being they each have their own switch (dial) in each room, they are not supposed to be unless they are absolutely overpowering the A/C in the case of a defective switch or two. To the least, the overhead heat is still to be left in the "on" position as they are required to balance out the A/C and to keep the coils from freezing up.

I must confess that the whole time I was employed in OBS at Amtrak, I carried a ceramic space heater in my bag to use in the hotel during winter and in the roomette in case I got a room with a defective heater strip and/or overpowering A/C.

OBS gone freight...

A ceramic heater? Sheesh, that would draw more power than the microwave that Meat guy was bringing aboard to use in his roomette!

The temperature knob does nothing to the air coming out of the ceiling vent. What it does is control a baseboard heater under the window, which has heat coming out of vents at floor level by each seat.
And Amtrak OBS Gone Freight

Sometimes. But being they each have their own switch (dial) in each room, they are not supposed to be unless they are absolutely overpowering the A/C in the case of a defective switch or two. To the least, the overhead heat is still to be left in the "on" position as they are required to balance out the A/C and to keep the coils from freezing up.
Alan H is correct as the knob controls just the floor heat but the floor heat is convection-like as the heat rises and comes out the perforations in the window sill also. The overhead heat that OBS gone freight mentioned is very commonly turned off by attendants in the cooling season, even though it is needed as he stated. I have repaired many air conditioning " intermittent failures" by turning the overhead heat breakers on and taping a handwritten note next to them saying do not turn off.

The vents in the rooms have a linkage that is to restrict the flow of air into the room if the air to the room is restricted it will be diverted to the vent in the hall just outside your room. This linkage especially on the Superliner I's is prone to failure. The Superliner II sleeper room have deflectors on the in-room vents that can partial close the airflow.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have experienced more temperature problems with the air conditioning than with the heating. I always close the ceiling vent at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back