Employment Testing next week in Oakland, California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is any one schedule for a testing session for Assistant Passenger Conductor position in Oakland, California next week? I have scheduled at 10AM on next Thursday, January 7th. The recruiter told me it takes 4 hours. I am kinda nervous and not sure what I am expect from the testing.... any comments, tips, or cheat cheaps are greatly appreciated. Peter :unsure: :unsure:

At that time you will fill out your application (or verify that info), then take a reading comprehension test, a basic math test, and the "Hogan Personality" exam.

On the reading test, they want to be able to see that you can read and comprehend the safety rules, operating rules, and overall be able to comprehend future everyday material, etc. The key here is even if you don't finish all of the test, you get the ones that you answer correct!

On the math test, they want to see that you are able to do simple math in your head. Here again, they want to see that you are able to answer them correctly. Same situation as the reading test if you don't finish the math they want to see you get the ones that you answer correct.

The "Hogan Personality" exam forms a certain pattern on the answer sheet giving the examiner(s) a visual of your mental state and your overall personality traits, and how you would be able to handle the nature of the work at the railroad. But be reminded it is only a tool, but a good one if you ask me. As long as you answer them honestly, you should have no problems being there are no issues going on with you. If you pay close attention, you will notice that several questions will ask about the same thing. Also, the test may not be the exact test your neighbor takes or one from a previous class. They do rotate them around.

Anyway, good luck.... let us know how you fair out. I am a freight conductor (on furlough right now), and I like my job overall (though still miss a couple of little perks at Amtrak).

OBS gone freight...

I'm impressed you got a call so fast.
Two weeks ago, I filled out the online application & profile; Upon complete the application, I had to email application & resume to the recruiter in Southern California.

One week later, I emailed the recruiter to follow up on my application. She replied to me immediately and told me that she will contact me today to schedule for a testing.

I will never thought she will call me today. She told me that testing session lasts 4 hours (10AM - 2PM). I am excited and nervous about testing

At that time you will fill out your application (or verify that info), then take a reading comprehension test, a basic math test, and the "Hogan Personality" exam.
On the reading test, they want to be able to see that you can read and comprehend the safety rules, operating rules, and overall be able to comprehend future everyday material, etc. The key here is even if you don't finish all of the test, you get the ones that you answer correct!

On the math test, they want to see that you are able to do simple math in your head. Here again, they want to see that you are able to answer them correctly. Same situation as the reading test if you don't finish the math they want to see you get the ones that you answer correct.

The "Hogan Personality" exam forms a certain pattern on the answer sheet giving the examiner(s) a visual of your mental state and your overall personality traits, and how you would be able to handle the nature of the work at the railroad. But be reminded it is only a tool, but a good one if you ask me. As long as you answer them honestly, you should have no problems being there are no issues going on with you. If you pay close attention, you will notice that several questions will ask about the same thing. Also, the test may not be the exact test your neighbor takes or one from a previous class. They do rotate them around.

Anyway, good luck.... let us know how you fair out. I am a freight conductor (on furlough right now), and I like my job overall (though still miss a couple of little perks at Amtrak).

OBS gone freight...
Thanks for the information. I hope I do well. Happy New Year!

Can someone tell me how to apply for entry level jobs for amtrak?...

Can anyone tell me about the background check..I have a petty larceny, will that keep me from getting a job? I have an interview and testing on December 1st.

Can anyone tell me about the background check..I have a petty larceny, will that keep me from getting a job? I have an interview and testing on December 1st.
You can go ahead and try but they most likely will not hire you. Amtrak has had problems with theft and with so many people applying for each postion they are going to take someone with a clean background check first.

I took my physical for Train Attendant and passed everything except the color test (Red/Green).Will that hinder my chances at the position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back