SunRail!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds interesting... we have "TriRail" in South FL, and now it appears that "SunRail" is coming to a station near you someday (if you live in Central FL).

story here

OBS gone freight...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see that logo when it becomes available, and the 400 losing suggestions for the name. I think "Orange Line" wouldn't be bad. Or maybe SinkholeRail or GatorTrax.

This sounds interesting... we have "TriRail" in South FL, and now it appears that "SunRail" is coming to a station near you someday (if you live in Central FL).
Oh, but it wouldn't be Florida without a controversy (not that we are alone in that aspect).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom...0,2772281.story

It seems the vehicles planned for use by SunRail are not going to be available due to the demise of Colorado Railcar. Instead they are going with traditional engines and rail cars, since Colorado Railcar was the "only" company to manufacture the desired DMU's.

There are many other companies making DMU's, but the article fails to point this out. They also fail to mention that the specs for the project were written so specifically that Colorado Railcar was the only company able to submit a bid for the contract. Not a very strange coincidence, once you consider the campaign contributions made by the company to the congressman who is pushing the project.

It seems the vehicles planned for use by SunRail are not going to be available due to the demise of Colorado Railcar. Instead they are going with traditional engines and rail cars, since Colorado Railcar was the "only" company to manufacture the desired DMU's.
I'm not sure if it's a Florida requirement, but I think that only CRC could meet most "Built in America" requirements. Of course now even they can't meet those requirements, much less build the cars.

I'm not sure if it's a Florida requirement, but I think that only CRC could meet most "Built in America" requirements. Of course now even they can't meet those requirements, much less build the cars.
Wikipedia lists Eikon International, out of Montgomery, AL as a producer of DMU's. They are still in business, or al least their website seems to indicate so. It looks like they do strictly streetcar-type vehicles, though it does indicate they can be self-propelled.

What? You mean we're not the world leader in rail-tech? Shocking.

The thing is they touted the benefits of using DMU's vs. traditional configurations in their initial song and dance to taxpayers. Now they're like, "Benefits?".

I agree that especially now, as much of the project as possible should be American-built. Though if they were to open it to foreign suppliers, it's not like Florida isn't well-known to Bombardier.

I agree that especially now, as much of the project as possible should be American-built. Though if they were to open it to foreign suppliers, it's not like Florida isn't well-known to Bombardier.
Anyone who's truly concerned about American jobs shouldn't be shy about arguing in favor of more track construction. Although I think some historical track construction in the US was done by people who didn't have the permanent right to work in the US.

I also worry that the consequences of delaying rail car purchases in terms of the increased need for foreign energy may be worse than the consequences of using foreign built rail cars would be.

I'd like to see that logo when it becomes available, and the 400 losing suggestions for the name. I think "Orange Line" wouldn't be bad. Or maybe SinkholeRail or GatorTrax.
I just ran across the list of the 400 suggested names they didn't chose. It was published on SunRail's website.

It is an Acrobat pdf file: http://www.cfrail.com/Files/Train/5.pdf

There are some good candidates... I'm sure some folks probably thought they had a winner. And there are some examples of the opposite where folks clearly weren't thinking at all. :lol:

The other part beyond "Buy American" was that CRC built a car that met the current FRA crashworthiness requirements. None of the foreign built cars or cars built to their designs come close to that. For the most part thase manufacturers claim that it would make the cars too heavy, but I am a skeptic on that. I feel it is more of we like our standard designs adn feel you should take them, who cares what your real requireements are?

The CRC double deckers are really tall. Their top is around 18 feet above the rail, compared to something like 16'-3" for a Superliner.

I think they may use either MP36PH OR MP40PH engines and possibly new bombardier bi-level coaches. I don't know about single level cars possibly they may use the comet cars similar to the ones NJT and SEPTA use.

I would not be surprised if they didn't look into used motive power. Look at Tri-Rail. Only three of their engines were delivered new, those being 807-809 F-40's built by MK. Everything else was bought used, from Conrail, Amtrak, and NS. It wouldn't shock me in the least to see some of Tri-Rail's excess power at least temporarily reassigned to Central Florida as they build a fleet there. I don't think you would see anyone objecting in a major way to Bombardier built cars being used. The majority of the American rail fleet is Canadian built, so they'd have a hard time objecting. The big money in a project like this one is in the rail construction. And ALL of that is American.

Well.... looks like the third time is a charm! "Sunrail," the commuter rail for Central Florida, has finally passed in the Florida Senate along with the needed additional funding for the existing "Tri-Rail" down in South Florida.

C-mon Chuckie (Charlie Crist), hurry up and sign it!

Story can be found HERE.

OBS gone freight...

Good luck to them. Paula Dockery of Lakeland is opposing it. They lost out on the FOX and she seems to be looking for vengance by opposing ever other rail project in the state.

George, it is a done deal!!! Mrs Dockery of course was one of the "no" votes, but she has lost her battle this time!!!

After two attempts where the State Senate shot it down after the House approved it, the Senate finally voted yes to commuter rail in Central Florida this time around. Here is another link to the story with a video. CLICK HERE.

Today Tues Dec 8th, 2009 was a good day for rail in Florida!

Finally, "Sunrail" is now coming soon to a Central Florida station near you!!!!

OBS gone freight...

It may be a done deal as far as the Florida legislature is concerned, but there can always be court challenges. Still, a 27-10 vote in the Florida State Senate is a pretty powerful endorsement.

It may be a done deal as far as the Florida legislature is concerned, but there can always be court challenges. Still, a 27-10 vote in the Florida State Senate is a pretty powerful endorsement.
True, but i kinda doubt there will be any court challenges. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it at this time.

It passed because several issues with it were hashed out. One of the critical ones was the an agreement with the union, and one of the others being the liability provisions between the state and CSX.

Mrs. Dockery is running for governor this next go around, too. So I doubt she will cause any further problems with this issue, though if she is successful in that venture, then she may try to make things difficult for commuter rail or the high speed rail.

And also the fact the state now stands to gain with some Obama stimulus funds for that high speed rail.

I am a little surprised at the margin of victory, myself. It had been so close the last two times! So yeah, that is a pretty powerful endorsement!

OBS gone freight...

Mrs. Dockery is running for governor this next go around, too. So I doubt she will cause any further problems with this issue, though if she is successful in that venture, then she may try to make things difficult for commuter rail or the high speed rail.
"Hickory dickory Dockery

Our transit system's a mockery.

Now, Sunrail's won!

(Get over it, hon...)

Hickory dickory Dockery."

:p

According to what I heard on NEWS 13 The Agenda I heard they are most likely going to use push-pull trains for SunRail.

Since Colorado Railcar went under, that's pretty much their only option. It's not necessarily a bad thing. There's a lot to be said for the commonality for the state with the Bombardier fleet that dominates in South Florida. Odds are that's who the coaches will come from. The interesting thing to see will be where they get the power from. Do they buy new motors from MPI? Do they go buy used motors from Amtrak, another commuter agency, or a freight road? Who will get the operations/maintenance contracts? A lot of stuff is about to go down...

While I wouldn't argue against the commonality, which could be a good thing; CRC is dead, but it's rail car is not. A new company has brought out the designs and patents and is preparing to market the DMU's.

Back