How far away is the Dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
We just went from CHI to PDX on the Empire Builder 27. David (Chi Amtrak Fan) summarized the consist as

Locomotive Locomotive Baggage Car Transition Sleeping Car, 732/832 Sleeping Car, 731/831,(The 31 car is added during the peak summer and winter travel seasons) Sleeping Car, 730/830, Dining Car, Coach, 711/811, Coach, 712/812, Sightseer Lounge Car, Sent to PDX with the 27 train Coach Baggage, 2714/2814, Coach, 2715/2815, Sleeping Car, 2730/2830.

Please note the distance from the #2730 sleeper to the diner. Wifey is mobility impaired - she walks with a cane and finds it quite difficult to walk in a moving train. Although I think chatting with new folks over meals is one of the best parts of traveling on Amtrak, we had most of our meals in our room - we had a WONDERFUL SCA, name of PAUL - I think in the SCA manual they show his picture under the definition of "the ideal SCA" just kidding, but he was GOOD!

Similarly, we took the Lake Shore Limited 48/448 CHI - PIT. Again we had to walk the distance of the 448 train and thru the 48 coaches to reach the diner.

We are about to take the Texas Eagle #421 from LAX to STL - hope the diner isn't too far away.

Alas, I believe that you'll have 3 coaches and the Sightseer to walk through on the Sunset section of the run. On the Eagle section, you'll only have one sleeper to walk through IIRC.

We just went from CHI to PDX on the Empire Builder 27. David (Chi Amtrak Fan) summarized the consist as Locomotive Locomotive Baggage Car Transition Sleeping Car, 732/832 Sleeping Car, 731/831,(The 31 car is added during the peak summer and winter travel seasons) Sleeping Car, 730/830, Dining Car, Coach, 711/811, Coach, 712/812, Sightseer Lounge Car, Sent to PDX with the 27 train Coach Baggage, 2714/2814, Coach, 2715/2815, Sleeping Car, 2730/2830.

Please note the distance from the #2730 sleeper to the diner. Wifey is mobility impaired - she walks with a cane and finds it quite difficult to walk in a moving train. Although I think chatting with new folks over meals is one of the best parts of traveling on Amtrak, we had most of our meals in our room - we had a WONDERFUL SCA, name of PAUL - I think in the SCA manual they show his picture under the definition of "the ideal SCA" just kidding, but he was GOOD!

Similarly, we took the Lake Shore Limited 48/448 CHI - PIT. Again we had to walk the distance of the 448 train and thru the 48 coaches to reach the diner.

We are about to take the Texas Eagle #421 from LAX to STL - hope the diner isn't too far away.
When I took the EB back in March from PDX to CHI. I woke up in the morning to head to the diner for breakfast and I was like, coach, coach, coach, coach....where on earth is this thing if I keep walking I will be in Chicago

When I was on the TE (from LAX) in August, the 422 sleeper was the last car on the train! :( IIRC, there were 3 coaches and the Sightseer between the 422 sleeper and the Diner! :(
Maybe you should bring along one of these on your next trip, to get you from your sleeper to the diner!

trainride.jpg

When I was on the TE (from LAX) in August, the 422 sleeper was the last car on the train! :( IIRC, there were 3 coaches and the Sightseer between the 422 sleeper and the Diner! :(
Going the other way on the TE the walk to the diner must have taken a half hour due to the obstacle course from all the coach passengers sleeping on the floor, Breakfast was at sunrise, the ride was fantastic,

Aloha

Eric

From an employee perspective, the dining car is always too far away from the door that you are "supposed to working" when the train arrives at a station unannounced or sooner than you expected!

Or as a passenger, when you are extremely hungry, your reservation time has been called, you're in the last coach, and you have just arrived or left a large station such as Orlando, Tampa, etc, (while the new folks get settled blocking aisles, etc)

You're close enough if you are in the car next to it for the duration of your trip.... :lol:

OBS gone freight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back