The Worst Amtrak Stations Youve Actually Seen?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Enjoying all the posts about the BEST, lets try the WORST that youve actually been to/seen?

Beaumont,Texas does not count, has to be a station that is an actual stop/used by AMTRAK! :lol:

(a building in other words!LOL)

IMHO:

1)Sanderson,Texas(LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

***The next one will be "They coulda been a contender" when this one is done***

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying all the posts about the BEST, lets try the WORST that youve actually been to/seen?Beaumont,Texas does not count, has to be a station that is an actual stop/used by AMTRAK! :lol:

IMHO:

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

Sanderson TX is the least used station in the entire Amtrak system. It was built in 1880 and it looks like it was abandoned in 1881.

My vote would be for HOU. Not only is the station ugly it's in a part of town that hardened criminals are afraid to got to at night.

Does this count the shelter's that Amtrak uses in AZ and NM? They are an embarrassment.

Enjoying all the posts about the BEST, lets try the WORST that youve actually been to/seen?Beaumont,Texas does not count, has to be a station that is an actual stop/used by AMTRAK! :lol:

IMHO:

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

Sanderson TX is the least used station in the entire Amtrak system. It was built in 1880 and it looks like it was abandoned in 1881.

My vote would be for HOU. Not only is the station ugly it's in a part of town that hardened criminals are afraid to got to at night.

Does this count the shelter's that Amtrak uses in AZ and NM? They are an embarrassment.
I was asleep on the AZ stops except for TUS/youre right about HOS but the staff is friendly there and the info on the walls is

interesting,thats one of my disappointments that the fourth largest city has such a sad station but I still consider my choices the

worst for various reasons!(see the PM I sent you) :rolleyes:

IMHO:

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

Shucks! I wish you hadn't said that it has to be a station that is an actual stop/used by AMTRAK! :eek: I was gonna say that it was a station 2 blocks away from me where years ago they took out the tracks and made a library out of it! Now I can't say that! :(

IMHO:

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

I was asleep on the AZ stops except for TUS/youre right about HOS but the staff is friendly there and the info on the walls is

interesting,thats one of my disappointments that the fourth largest city has such a sad station but I still consider my choices the

worst for various reasons!(see the PM I sent you) :rolleyes:

I am glad you mentioned the info on the walls at Houston. Those olds ads for Santa Fe, Missouri Pacific, etc etc are quite interesting.

Haven't been in those parts recently, but how about Fort Edward, NY?
I was there about a year ago. They have done a lovely rebuild on the outside. Unfortunately, they ran out of money, so the inside is empty. I mean completely empty. All interior walls and the floor removed down to bare dirt empty.

Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania (ELT).

The station is actually not open to the public (but there is a building!), there is hardly any shelter from the elements, it isn't ADA-compliant. The only good thing is there is free parking available.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Penn Station, New York in this category. What a dump that place is, and has been for as long as I can remember (and, yes, that includes the original Pennsylvania Station).

NYP is a haphazardly arranged maze that is crowded, filthy, and even dangerous. It's had more unsuccessful facelifts than Joan Rivers. There are few places to sit, and if you find a seat, you will in short order be solicited by one or more of the local "characters" that inhabit the facility. Food options are basic, and most are not in the Amtrak portion of the station. Need to use the facilities? Oh boy, are you in for a treat. I shudder to think of the female perspective of that issue.

I have not been in any train station or airport in the world worse than Penn Station, New York. If someone has to frequent NYP on a regular basis, AGR Select+ with its Club Acela access would be worth its weight in gold.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Penn Station, New York in this category. What a dump that place is, and has been for as long as I can remember (and, yes, that includes the original Pennsylvania Station).
Look above, it's in the first post!

I dislike NYP for all the reasons PRR 60 mentioned.

Boston North Station is pretty depressing waiting to board the late night Downeaster.

Omaha - or any place where an Amshak stands in the shadow of a great old station building.
It is depressing indeed, but at least the Amshack is functional, and will keep you warm in the brutal winter. My vote goes to Trinidad, CO. Supposedly there's a plan in place to give it a new station, but right now its a platform and port-a-potty!

Trinidad Amtrak Station

They tore down the old Amtrak station in Beaumont because homeless people had broken the doors and windows and were living in it.

They are going to build a new station. The city had picked out a new much better location but they couldn't reach an agreement witht the host railroad. Since the station is to be paid for by stimulus funds they have a deadline to start construction so the new station will be at the same location as the old station.

IMHO:

2)NYP

3)NOL

4)SAS

5)Detroit

Out of curiousity, since I am going there in October, what is wrong with NOL that causes it to be on the list?

The station in Sanford, Florida (not the auto train station) is not being used anymore, but it is awful.

I believe it is boarded up right now.

On the other hand...

The station in Winter Park, Florida overlooks a magnificient park and a very expensive shopping area, however, the station itself is very tiny. The station in Orlando (from where I travel) is a very attractive historic (for Florida) building on the outside and functional on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back