Cross Country Cafe vs Superliner Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking the Capitol Limted (CL) in 51 days, but who's counting :lol: . I know that the Cross Country Cafe (CCC) operates as pretty much a regular diner on the CL. Can someone explain the car layout? I hear this stuff about 3 seat booths what are they like? Is the kitchen any differnt down below on the CCC vs. the Superliner Diner? Do you prefer the CCC to the Superliner Diner? Any other insights? Any guess on the staffing? What time should I wake up to get breakfast into Chicago westbound?

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know about is the CCC. The CCC's upper level includes two diferent sections-dining room and lounging area. On the CL, the dining room, which consists of 4 seat dining tables and wierd 3 seat booths. After that section, there is the set up area, food elevator, and cafe counter. Then there are 4 more(2 of each)3 & 4 seat booths. The CL only uses the dining room (a big waste of the extra lounging seats that aren't used) section of the car. If you're lucky though, a regular Superliner Diner might find its way on to th CL as one of the ones destined to replace the CCC's on the CL was reported out of BG last week!

cpamtfan-Peter

I am taking the Capitol Limted (CL) in 51 days, but who's counting :lol: . I know that the Cross Country Cafe (CCC) operates as pretty much a regular diner on the CL. Can someone explain the car layout? I hear this stuff about 3 seat booths what are they like? Is the kitchen any differnt down below on the CCC vs. the Superliner Diner? Do you prefer the CCC to the Superliner Diner? Any other insights? Any guess on the staffing? What time should I wake up to get breakfast into Chicago westbound?
Here is a guys blog that has some descriptions/complaints/photos of the CCC...

http://takeatrainride.blogspot.com/2009/05...ss-country.html

Aren't the 3 seat booths the ones in which you have to develop an eye in the back of your head to look out the window? :lol:

I will be glad when they get rid of those. It is a shame when not one train between the Chicago and the east coast has a full service diner. I am sure things will be better with the increased funding, but the U.S., under Bush's policies, was becoming awfully close to be come a 2nd world country as far as infrastructure is concerned.

All I know about is the CCC. The CCC's upper level includes two diferent sections-dining room and lounging area. On the CL, the dining room, which consists of 4 seat dining tables and wierd 3 seat booths. After that section, there is the set up area, food elevator, and cafe counter. Then there are 4 more(2 of each)3 & 4 seat booths. The CL only uses the dining room (a big waste of the extra lounging seats that aren't used) section of the car. If you're lucky though, a regular Superliner Diner might find its way on to th CL as one of the ones destined to replace the CCC's on the CL was reported out of BG last week!
cpamtfan-Peter
Wow so they waste an entire half of a car :eek: Thats even bad for Amtrak... What time should I make a reservation then?

cpamtfan-Peter
Wow so they waste an entire half of a car :eek: Thats even bad for Amtrak... What time should I make a reservation then?
I assumed they used the whole car just like a dining car. Is that not true? They really leave half totally unused?

Aren't the 3 seat booths the ones in which you have to develop an eye in the back of your head to look out the window? :lol:
Yes, assuming that you want to look out the window on the side that you're sitting on. It's very easy to look out the other window across the aisle though.

Yes, assuming that you want to look out the window on the side that you're sitting on. It's very easy to look out the other window across the aisle though.

I DON'T want to look out the other window. LOL You know me . . . I want to be right next to the window so that I can see what is there, such as passing sidings, or which track we are on if it is double track, etc. And I like to see the engine or back of the train as we go around curves. Can't do that with the stupid layout of CCC cars.

I assumed they used the whole car just like a dining car. Is that not true? They really leave half totally unused?
On my recent CL trip, I can confirm that both ends of the CCC were in use for dining. Granted, it was a very full train, so I don't know if this is always the case.

cpamtfan-Peter
It's not half the car, probably not even quite a quarter of the car that goes unused. And if they have enough crew, there really is nothing that stops them from using the "cafe" side booths for dining car service on the Capitol Limited. On the CONL they can't do that, since the cafe is in use on that train.

As for what time to make a reservation, wait until you see what times are still available when the LSA gets to your room, and then think about how hungry you are. And be sure to consider that they could run a bit late in calling the seating times.

By the way if your buddy Traindude makes it to WUS tomorrow, he should be able to see and take pictures of a CCC as they're supposed to have one on display.

cpamtfan-Peter
It's not half the car, probably not even quite a quarter of the car that goes unused. And if they have enough crew, there really is nothing that stops them from using the "cafe" side booths for dining car service on the Capitol Limited. On the CONL they can't do that, since the cafe is in use on that train.

As for what time to make a reservation, wait until you see what times are still available when the LSA gets to your room, and then think about how hungry you are. And be sure to consider that they could run a bit late in calling the seating times.

By the way if your buddy Traindude makes it to WUS tomorrow, he should be able to see and take pictures of a CCC as they're supposed to have one on display.
Right thats what I meant so it shouldn't fall that behind? If I make a 7 pm reservation it will be close to 7 not like 8:30?

Whenever I've ridden the Texas Eagle, since there is a Sightseer Lounge, the crew has taken over the lounge side of the CCC, spreading paperwork everywhere and making certain Coach pax do not go back into the Sleepers. I am amazed at how many little glitches were already showing up in these cars as early as last spring.

Right thats what I meant so it shouldn't fall that behind? If I make a 7 pm reservation it will be close to 7 not like 8:30?
There would have to be some major problems from them to fall that far behind. But I seem to recall the reservation that 3 of us had on the way to the Gathering last October was at least 20, if not 30 minutes, late.

There would have to be some major problems from them to fall that far behind. But I seem to recall the reservation that 3 of us had on the way to the Gathering last October was at least 20, if not 30 minutes, late.
Oh okay thats reasonable I think one night on the CZ the dining staff fell about 15 min behind. Granted we had an 8 p.m rez so more time for things to go wrong. I can deal with 20 or 30 mins

On my last CL trip, I experienced the CCC on the WAS-CHI section, and the Superliner Diner on the return. If you are seated on the "edge" of the booths in the CCC, you should be able to see out the adjoing windows, IIRC. Its just when you are in the center of the booth that your backside is to the scenery (but you are really close to the window! ;) ).

BTW -- If my last experience is any indication, and granted it was over a holiday, your dinner reservation will be delayed at least 30 mins.

Otherwise, I love the CL. Enjoy the ride!

Oh okay thats reasonable I think one night on the CZ the dining staff fell about 15 min behind. Granted we had an 8 p.m rez so more time for things to go wrong. I can deal with 20 or 30 mins
On my SWC trip last month, out of CHI they had a water problem. And because of that, they could not prepare dinner until they got water in GBB. So on the first night, and at the first meal, the 5 PM seating was called at 6:30 PM! feel sorry for those who made 8 or 8:30 reservations!)

I've ridden both the CCC and the standard Superliner Diners, Diner Lites, and Heritage Diners. I've been served in all of them. The food is a notch down in Diner Lites and CCC cars in my experiences. Even on the CL when the CCC car was being used as the "full diner" I thought the flavor of the food was lacking, just like my experience with the Diner-Lite Car on the LSL. Maybe it was just bad luck.

As for the design... I actually love the designs of the CCC cars. I think they are beautiful. It's nice to be sitting in something other than a standard booth, gives the dining experience more personality. As for seeing out the windows... I've never had a problem, I've never seen them actually seat 3 people to the "3 person booth" I've usually been seated with just 1 other passenger in the round booths.

As for the crews... I've actually only had great experiences with the CCC cars, although this has more to do with the CL than the cars. The absolute best diner service I've ever had has been on the Capitol, two different trains, two different crews.

On my last CL trip, I experienced the CCC on the WAS-CHI section, and the Superliner Diner on the return. If you are seated on the "edge" of the booths in the CCC, you should be able to see out the adjoing windows, IIRC. Its just when you are in the center of the booth that your backside is to the scenery (but you are really close to the window! ;) ).
BTW -- If my last experience is any indication, and granted it was over a holiday, your dinner reservation will be delayed at least 30 mins.

Otherwise, I love the CL. Enjoy the ride!
and feel bad for the crew to :eek: late night for them!

The food is a notch down in Diner Lites and CCC cars in my experiences. Even on the CL when the CCC car was being used as the "full diner" I thought the flavor of the food was lacking, just like my experience with the Diner-Lite Car on the LSL. Maybe it was just bad luck.
Must have been on the CCC. It is my understanding that the kitchen is unchanged on the CCC's from the full diners. Only difference is upstairs so quality of the food should be the same as any other dining car (besides the EB or AT).

We were on the CL twice last month. On the eastbound trip, CHI to PGH we were in sleeper and took a 7 p.m. dinner reservation. Dinner on the CL was my first experience with the CCC. It seemed that they were using the "Dining Room" portion of the car for First Class passengers and the "lounge" part of the car for coach pax. Everything was running on time (reservation wise). One thing I did note was that the menu on the CL was identical to that on the Empire Builder. On our way back out west, we were on the CL from Cleveland to Chicago. During breakfast we were actually seated in one of those 3 person booths with another sleeper car passenger. It wasn't really that bad. A side note, on the eastbound trip from CHI to PGH, David Randall of the N.A.R.P was on our train. I got the opportunity to chat with him and one of the things we discussed was indeed the CCC.....

I was travelling on the CZ last year and had an employee tell me that they "usually work the Texas Eagle". I asked the person, "do they have a CCC car on that?" And they replied, "yes". So I asked that person, "what are they like?" And they replied, "a toilet on wheels". So that gives you an idea of this one person's feeling of the CCC.

Whenever I've ridden the Texas Eagle, since there is a Sightseer Lounge, the crew has taken over the lounge side of the CCC, spreading paperwork everywhere and making certain Coach pax do not go back into the Sleepers. I am amazed at how many little glitches were already showing up in these cars as early as last spring.
I have to agree totally. On a recent ride on the TE, I only looked at the one of the lounge tables and got a "That's not for pax use." Well, just who is paying for that car to roll? If it isn't my train fare then it's Federal subsidy money.

I know there are many who hate to hear this BUT "Where are the managers who are SUPPOSED to ride trains?" It almost reminds me of an airline that tries to fly without anybody in charge in the cockpit.

I have to agree totally. On a recent ride on the TE, I only looked at the one of the lounge tables and got a "That's not for pax use." Well, just who is paying for that car to roll? If it isn't my train fare then it's Federal subsidy money.

I know there are many who hate to hear this BUT "Where are the managers who are SUPPOSED to ride trains?" It almost reminds me of an airline that tries to fly without anybody in charge in the cockpit.
Oh I had forgotten that when I rode the ccc car the LSA sat me and two other coach passengers in the "lounge" portion. At the end of our meal our server cleared much of the table and left the checks and said the LSA would be back to check us out in a few min... Well the conductor comes by and tells us real grumpy that we are not supposed to be in this car. I was quite tempted to leave and not pay since it was Conducors orders!

Grumpy conductors are a real problem on amtrak, always have, probably always will. There really needs to be a chief of on board services again IMHO.

Oh I had forgotten that when I rode the ccc car the LSA sat me and two other coach passengers in the "lounge" portion. At the end of our meal our server cleared much of the table and left the checks and said the LSA would be back to check us out in a few min... Well the conductor comes by and tells us real grumpy that we are not supposed to be in this car. I was quite tempted to leave and not pay since it was Conducors orders!
Grumpy conductors are a real problem on amtrak, always have, probably always will. There really needs to be a chief of on board services again IMHO.
He told you you were not suppose to be in the dining car? That is odd. Did he think, perhaps, that y'all were just lounging there and not eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back