Schedule padding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it takes two hours to get from point A to point B and they schedule 4 hours to cover that distance, that is padding the schedule. It helps trains be closer to ontime when things start getting behind.

If it takes two hours to get from point A to point B and they schedule 4 hours to cover that distance, that is padding the schedule. It helps trains be closer to ontime when things start getting behind.

Soooo, If a train is really late,add the padding and it's REALLY LATE!!!???

If it takes (say) 20 hours to get from Reno to Denver, but they expect to encounter delays, they may schedule something like (and I'm just picking any times and cities) 50 minutes to go from SLC to Provo (where it normally should take 40 minutes) or 1 hour between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs (where it should take 45 minutes). They may also schedule a stop in SLC for 30 minutes, where a crew change, etc... should take no more than 15 minutes.

Another example of schedule padding is on the Sunset Limited between New Orleans and LA. For a long time, it was always very late, so Amtrak added (padding of) IIRC 12 hours to their schedule. (It didn't help much, as it is still late often!)

These are all examples of "padding", and may allow the train to get to Denver "On Time"!

If it takes (say) 20 hours to get from Reno to Denver, but they expect to encounter delays, they may schedule something like (and I'm just picking any times and cities) 50 minutes to go from SLC to Provo (where it normally should take 40 minutes) or 1 hour between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs (where it should take 45 minutes). They may also schedule a stop in SLC for 30 minutes, where a crew change, etc... should take no more than 15 minutes.
Another example of schedule padding is on the Sunset Limited between New Orleans and LA. For a long time, it was always very late, so Amtrak added (padding of) IIRC 12 hours to their schedule. (It didn't help much, as it is still late often!)

These are all examples of "padding", and may allow the train to get to Denver "On Time"!
OK, so it's basicly a coushion but shouldn't affect your schedule unless the tardiness eats up your padding?

Hi,

There is a distinction between a train journey being slow, and a train being late..

With "padding", a journey that could, at best top speed, take two hours, is padded to take 4 hours. The extra two hours are to allow for "problems". The train is not late if it takes the 4 hours, as this is what it is now scheduled and advertised to take.

Clear as mud?

Ed B)

Hi,There is a distinction between a train journey being slow, and a train being late..

With "padding", a journey that could, at best top speed, take two hours, is padded to take 4 hours. The extra two hours are to allow for "problems". The train is not late if it takes the 4 hours, as this is what it is now scheduled and advertised to take.

Clear as mud?

Ed B)

I have an 8 hr. layover in DC. Is this partially due to frequent problems on that route?

Hi,There is a distinction between a train journey being slow, and a train being late..

Clear as mud?

Ed B)

I have an 8 hr. layover in DC. Is this partially due to frequent problems on that route?
You have an 8 hour layover simply because that's the way the schedules worked out. The next train from Florida gets to DC way too close to guarantee the connection, less than an hour if it's on time. However, it's running times and the routes that they take in Florida and through the Carolina's that dictated the arrival times in DC.

Clear as mud?

Ed B)

Padding has not always been as drastic as some fo the examples given. We have more problem now than in the past with freight train interference.. That happens more today than in the past.

An example of paddiig that dates more from past performance would be, say, between Gainesville, Ga and Atlanta. Gainesvile is the last stop, southbound, before reaching Atlanta. The schedule allows about 1 hr. 15 minutes (don't have the exact times in front of me). But northbound, it only takes about 55 minutes to get from ATL to Gainesviile It has been deemed more important to get to the larger cities on time. Thus, going southbound, if the train is about 20-25 minutes late at Gainesville, it could still, perhaps, make up some of that and be on time, or close, in Atlanta, a larger city.

So, padding involves not just the whole length of the trip but segments moving toward the larger cities also.

As to your question about an eight hour layover in WAS, you did not say which trains were involved but I would say that is is most likelly apples and oranges, I would suggest one train's schedule may not mean to have that much to do with the other in this case , at least not knowing what schedules you mean.

Amtrak in most cases does not own the track these days, so it has a harder time moving passenger trains than when the railroads themselves operated both passenger and freight. Railroads are considered "freight railroads" today, In the past they were both "passenger and freight railroads". Amtrak operates the trains ON the railroads. They often put the freights through first, thus the need for the hideous excessive padding of today. My point, though, there has always been some padding., but usually expressed in minutes, not hours.

Its basically a way for Amtrak to achieve something resembling a reasonable on time performance rating despite the average freight road giving it the level or priority I give to, say, smashing my finger with a hammer.

Its basically a way for Amtrak to achieve something resembling a reasonable on time performance rating despite the average freight road giving it the level or priority I give to, say, smashing my finger with a hammer.

:lol: That was good! :lol:

OBS gone freight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back