Kitbashing Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
I was thinking of trying out kitbashing, and wanted to know if anybody had any tips.

My plan is to kitbash a Walthers Viewliner Sleeper into a Diner.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've put a little though into your question and I think you can do a simple project without making to many changes.

1. Remove car body from the under carriage.

2. Using plastic sheets fill the three windows closest to the vestibule on the hallway side and the first standard room. On the opposite side, fill in the first 3 upper-level windows on the Deluxe and Accessible rooms and fill in both windows on the first standard room. (Take the window inserts out and then fill)

3. Use plastic filler putty to fill in any gaps that the plastic didn't get. Also don't worry if the plastic or putty is sticking up anywhere because that can be sanded down with a very fine grit sand paper.

4. Paint the entire car body in platinum mist stainless steel paint.

5. Use desired decals for paint scheme.

Tips: I would suggest using the unpainted model by Walthers. Have sharp knife will plenty of extra blades. When painting always clean brushes thoroughly with paint thinner. Most importantly take your time and don't rush. I would allow a good three weekends to do this project.

Even though the vestibule door will still be at the end of the car, it should take on the diner characteristic with the blanked out windows.

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions just ask. I will try to make a diagram as well. B)

Thanks Amfleet, that really helps. My local hobby shop should have most of these supplies, right, or is it likely I'd have to special order it.

I planned to get an undecorated model and do it over the summer in Phase III. I will have one issue:

amtk-di8400bfm.jpg

Which is getting "Amtrak" that will be the right size, and more difficultly, Viewliner in the stripes as Shown.

I will probably Move the door however.

viewlinerdiner.jpg

This is the other Photo I will refer to.

I probably will Cut out a part of the middle of the car where rooms 1 and 2 are, and cut and do one the same Size by the door.

Jon, Thanks very much, I was worried I wouldn't get a response. As I said this will be a summer project, where I will have time to do so, without worrying about homework etc. I'll also try to take photos of the project as it progresses.

Thanks Amfleet, that really helps. My local hobby shop should have most of these supplies, right, or is it likely I'd have to special order it.
You may have to order the plastic sheets and the undecorated Viewliner. Most hobby shops do not seem to carry a lot of passenger car models anyways. Good luck with the project! :)

Amfleet said:
Do you have a Walthers catalog. If not, that is a good investment and a good start, because you can see all the different parts and manufacturers.
Ok, thanks, I'll definitely buy one before I start the project. Any other tips?

If you can afford it, I would buy two undecorated Viewliners. Here's why. I think you will have a hard time filling in the door area when you move it, so you might want to chop off part on the vestibule end from your actual kitbash, then take the same lenght of the non-vestibule side off the second model and attach to the part you took off the first model. Also the second model will provide you will spare parts for this project or for future Viewliner purchases. I did that with one of my Superliners, I steal parts from it to fix others.

Back