Advice Needed: Quick Trip from ATL to NOL or WAS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

Train Attendant
I have basically a weekend and I'd like to go from ATL to either WAS or NOL, basically enough time to go there and then back on the next return train. My main desire is to enjoy the train. I'd be in a roommette.

• Option 1: Leave evening from ATL, get to WAS in the morning, spend a few hours maybe visiting a museum and then back again. The downside is that I won't get dinner when boarding and most of the time on the train is sleeping.
  • Option 2: Leave in the morning from ATL, get to NOL in the evening. The downside is that I'd have to find a place to stay overnight and wouldn't get to see much of anything before having to get on the train early the next morning (never visited NOL). The upside is that I'd spend the daylight on the train and I'd get lunch and dinner.
What would you do if you had just a couple days?

Cheers,
Andy

Washington for sure. You're MUCH more likely to arrive at least close to on time, and you'll have the better part of a day to spend there, with various museums near the station.

If you go to NOL, best to allow at least two nights there--you'll probably arrive several hours late, and will need to be back at the station at 6:30AM. 

I agree with Tricia and would go to Washington.  Ontime performance to New Orleans has been pretty poor and unless you want to stay up late, you will primarily get to see only your hotel.  With the trip to DC, you won't even need a hotel.

Save New Orleans until you can spend 2 , 3, 4 , 5, etc. days there.

Hmm... You all are focusing on the destination, though my main reason for this trip was to use points and enjoy the train... look out the window, read... Perhaps that answers my own question though that would mean a quick overnight in NOL.

Hmm... You all are focusing on the destination, though my main reason for this trip was to use points and enjoy the train... look out the window, read... Perhaps that answers my own question though that would mean a quick overnight in NOL.
I honestly think you should do NOL. As you said, you’ll get all that daytime onboard, and unless the train is really catastrophically horrifically delayed, you won’t miss the train home (which would be a risk if you did WAS). And if it runs on time, you can even get dinner (and maybe even an early breakfast) in the city.

You can get dinner on #19 into NOL, although it will likely be the Express menu with about half the choices.   #20 does serve breakfast out of NOL, usually beginning around Slidell, about an hour out. 

New Orleans for sure.  Lots of daylight running, dining car meals, and just a relaxing route through southern towns.  

You also get to cross lake ponchatrain. 

The crescent south of Atlanta is a really nice route.

You get breakfast lunch and dinner going both ways if the train is on time. 

(Express dinner menu on the way into New Orleans) 

WAS would be my choice. I was on the Crescent in December when it arrived at 1:20 AM. A few days prior, they got in at 4:30 AM. The only advantage was we got a full dinner vs. Express because the train was running so late. Too many times those arrival times are the norm and not an exception to the rule.

Since the destination is not that important to you, the trip to New Orleans and back would offer more daylight running and it sounds like that is what you are looking for, so in that case you should go to New Orleans.  I recommend that you not stay out too late on Bourbon Street and miss your 7 a.m. train.  

For 'short turn' in NOL, I've had good luck with the Hyatt and the Holiday Inn, both on Loyola, at the front of the station.  The Hyatt is 2-3 blocks away and the Holiday, 4-5.  Take the street car.  It's terminus is the Amtrak station, and it stops directly in front of the Hyatt, and a block away either way from the Holiday.  Decent prices, at least the 3 times I've done an overnight in NOL.  Check those prices  as well as Amsnag to figure out when the lowest price (in points) for the train is AND a livable prices for the hotel, before booking anything.  

Here's a map at the station:  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9496159,-90.0803232,16.75z

PS, I wouldn't walk it alone after dark.  There's a handful of homeless folks you'll encounter at the station as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think you should do NOL. As you said, you’ll get all that daytime onboard, and unless the train is really catastrophically horrifically delayed, you won’t miss the train home (which would be a risk if you did WAS). And if it runs on time, you can even get dinner (and maybe even an early breakfast) in the city.
If you go to New Orleans, I don't think there is a need to get breakfast before boarding No. 20 since breakfast is served on the train soon after leaving New Orleans.

If the train to New Orleans is significantly late, that would likely cut into your daytime viewing time but the section that you missed you would be able to see on your return trip in the morning.  

If you go to New Orleans, I don't think there is a need to get breakfast before boarding No. 20 since breakfast is served on the train soon after leaving New Orleans.
This is New Orleans we’re talking about. It shouldn’t really matter whether there’s a “need” to get breakfast there.

If the train to New Orleans is significantly late, that would likely cut into your daytime viewing time but the section that you missed you would be able to see on your return trip in the morning.  
Note that breakfast on the train starts service after 9am, and you're expected to be at the NOL station around 6:30am. For me, that's a long time between waking up and eating anything. IIRC, there's no food available at the station.

Note that breakfast on the train starts service after 9am, and you're expected to be at the NOL station around 6:30am. For me, that's a long time between waking up and eating anything. IIRC, there's no food available at the station.
I did not realize that breakfast is now served so pathetically late.  The two times I took No. 20 (about 5 years ago), breakfast was served on the train about 7:30 a.m. each trip.

From my experience in New Orleans, the French Quarter and the Central Business District are not exactly what I would call "morning hot spots."  I found that a number of places which serve breakfast don't open until 7 or 8 a.m. - too late to have breakfast before train time.  Krystal on Bourbon Street is open 24 hours a day and I think the Café du Monde may be open the same and perhaps the McDonalds on Canal Street.  Of course others may have additional information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for NOL - it's likely to be significantly cheaper.
I believe Andy is planning to travel in a roomette whether he goes to New Orleans or DC.  If he goes to New Orleans he will need a hotel which shouldn't be necessary for a trip to DC.  So I think his proposed trip to New Orleans will be more expensive than a trip to DC. 

I was on 20 numerous times over the past several years as a Trails and Rails volunteer and breakfast on 20 was never served until about Slidell, sometimes a little later.
I’ve been seated while still going over lake ponchatrain, other times I’ve been told breakfast begins after departing slidel. Either way that’s way earlier than 9 am. 

Back