EB/CL Connection in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am looking at a western trip this summer with a return to Chicago on the Empire Builder with connection to Pittsburgh on the Capitol Limited. What is Amtrak's window for guaranteed connections? The EB is due in at 3:55 and the CL is scheduled to depart at 6:40. Thought about planning an overnight in Chicago, but given the EB's history of  poor timekeeping, I am thinking I may just roll the dice and schedule that connection and if the EB is significantly late I get a night in Chicago on Amtrak's dime rather than it coming out of my pocket. When this happens, generally speaking what kind of accommodations can one expect? Do they cover meals as well?

The connection has traditionally been a shaky one due to the EB poor OTP but summer months may provide a better chance of making the Cap Ltd.  The Cap has been held for up to an hour or so if the western trains are running only slightly late.  Since we live near Cleveland we have always had the option of taking the LSL, but PGH connections do not have that option.  Since Amtrak guarantees the connection they will put you up in a hotel and give you a food voucher and cab voucher if necessary.  If you read some of the earlier threads on this subject, many passengers were pleased with their accomodations.  If you cannot stay overnight, you could fly to PGH but Amtrak will not pay for that scenario according to those who have tried that.  As long as you have the time to stay over, I would not worry about it, enjoy the ride on the EB and see what happens.  

For all the times my wife and I have traveled Amtrak from Toledo, Ohio to parts unknown, we’ve never been put up in a room in Chicago because of a late train. I’d say if you want to stay in Chicago, you better book a room there, LOL!  If your traveling in a roomette, the Chicago 1st Class area is one of the Best Amtrak offers! If your not traveling out west 1st class, I highly recommend it. You have your own room, can shut the door and sleep the night away. A Big Plus is all your meals are included! Have fun, your going to Love traveling out West! We’ve been to Seattle twice for Alaska cruises, Emeryville, near San Francisco, LA, Albuquerque and soon to Washington DC and then on to Florida! SaveTravels! 

My last blown connection they used the Swissotel, it's pretty nice....That's no guarantee, on any given night, depending on what's going on in Chicago, and how many passengers need to be accommodated, there are many other possibilities....

I'm an experienced Amtrak traveler and have yet to miss a connection.  Was just curious what scenarios require Amtrak to put up customers overnight. The last several times I have gone out west I have flown back but this time looking for the round trip by train, and this is the very first time I have looking at that EB/CL connection. Most of the other inbound western trains have much earlier arrivals. I am planning on roomette. Enjoy Chicago on all levels, and an overnight on my dime is fine, but again, thinking of my options for that relatively short layover.  If Amtrak has to pay, then all the better. ;-)

Thank you. 

I have heard people say that they’ve been put up in a roomette in a Superliner parked at Union Station when their connection has been missed. I don’t know what the rhyme or reason is in determining what accommodations you get. Perhaps coach passengers get the roomette and sleeper passengers get a hotel.  

Be aware that if you miss a connection and had reservations in a sleeper (on the train you missed), there may not be any sleeping accommodations available on the next day's train.

I have heard people say that they’ve been put up in a roomette in a Superliner parked at Union Station when their connection has been missed. I don’t know what the rhyme or reason is in determining what accommodations you get. Perhaps coach passengers get the roomette and sleeper passengers get a hotel.  
Wow, that's pretty bizarre.  :wacko:   I'm surprised they ever have enough spare equipment or spare space at CUS to leave a Superliner there all night...

It was a pretty active topic about a year ago. Not sure if it is still occuring.
It may have been longer ago than a year.  I seem to recall that Joe Hess started the thread about passengers overnighting in Superliner rooms.  I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was mentioned that coach passengers were put up on the parked train and sleeper passengers in hotels.  I will try to find the thread.

It may have been longer ago than a year.  I seem to recall that Joe Hess started the thread about passengers overnighting in Superliner rooms.  I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was mentioned that coach passengers were put up on the parked train and sleeper passengers in hotels.  I will try to find the thread.
This what you're talking about?

This what you're talking about?
That is exactly the thread to which I was referring.  I am extremely impressed that you found it faster than I did (which is really not suprising since your computer skills are much better than mine).

I would certainly be worried about not having a sleeping accommodation on the next train  which is a REAL possibility and they dont really add equipment to accommodate those passengers. Paying for my own hotel room would outweigh the risk of riding overnight in coach, but if you don't mind coach then it might be an option.

I would certainly be worried about not having a sleeping accommodation on the next train  which is a REAL possibility and they dont really add equipment to accommodate those passengers. Paying for my own hotel room would outweigh the risk of riding overnight in coach, but if you don't mind coach then it might be an option.
Perhaps I have missed it but I can't recall an instance in recent years where Amtrak has added equipment, especially a sleeper, on the next day's train to accommodate passengers who missed a connection and had to be re-booked.

There are currently two Superliner sleepers parked in Union Station for missed connections. It seems as though this is the common practice in winter when consists are shorter.
Are those sleepers parked in CUS there, in case they are needed to accommodate pax who are bumped to a next-day train? Or are they there to provide overnight accommodation for those who miss a next-day train? 

I think Amtrak could potentially save money by doing the latter. In fact, I wouldn't mind staying over in a sleeper instead of a hotel so long as the car(s) were powered, I could come and go as I pleased, stay on the train at least thru mid-morning, and there was someone available to do the tasks a sleeping car attendant might be needed to do. If the car(s) were "parked" on a track away from most hustle and bustle that would be a plus.

Has Amtrak ever done anything like this at CUS? Back in the SR days, I recall doing exactly this in NOL when sleeper pax on the Southern Crescent / Sunset Limited needed to connect. It worked out very well for all concerned.

Are those sleepers parked in CUS there, in case they are needed to accommodate pax who are bumped to a next-day train? Or are they there to provide overnight accommodation for those who miss a next-day train? 

I think Amtrak could potentially save money by doing the latter. In fact, I wouldn't mind staying over in a sleeper instead of a hotel so long as the car(s) were powered, I could come and go as I pleased, stay on the train at least thru mid-morning, and there was someone available to do the tasks a sleeping car attendant might be needed to do. If the car(s) were "parked" on a track away from most hustle and bustle that would be a plus.

Has Amtrak ever done anything like this at CUS? Back in the SR days, I recall doing exactly this in NOL when sleeper pax on the Southern Crescent / Sunset Limited needed to connect. It worked out very well for all concerned.
It sounds like they have done that. 

It sounds like they have done that. 
After I posted that, I followed the link to the 2016 thread and just read it. Amtrak has indeed at least experimented with the concept. But there seems to be a mix of anecdotes involving both hotels and overnighting at CUS in a sleeper so I'm wondering what Plan A is and what Plan B is. If I had a choice, and the most of the boxes in my previous post were checked, I'd opt for the train!

My last blown connection they used the Swissotel, it's pretty nice....That's no guarantee, on any given night, depending on what's going on in Chicago, and how many passengers need to be accommodated, there are many other possibilities....
My complaint on the Swiss was there are about 4 channels on the television. I was exhausted and really did not want to go out on the town.   I hadn't planned on anything any way so just wanted to go to the room.     I would have been pissed if I had to pay what they were charging for a room.

After I posted that, I followed the link to the 2016 thread and just read it. Amtrak has indeed at least experimented with the concept. But there seems to be a mix of anecdotes involving both hotels and overnighting at CUS in a sleeper so I'm wondering what Plan A is and what Plan B is. If I had a choice, and the most of the boxes in my previous post were checked, I'd opt for the train!
I agree with that. I think making it an option would be a cool and the best policy. Say if you were in a sleeper previously, you would have the option of a bedroom, and if in coach you’d have a roomette option. 

Winter obviously wouldn’t be a problem but I wonder how many operational spares Chicago has on a typical summer night. 

I would be concerned about security.   Not sure if I would want to be seeping in an unlocked car at  a train station.  Yeah I know the station is supposed to have secueiry but it is still a big station.

I just misconnected this same exact connection. Here is what happened to me.

1. I called Amtrak at Msp to get a room on the Cap but because I was on a TA fare someone already took care of that.

2. Arrived in Chicago and went to the passenger service desk. They were very organized.

3. I was given a round trip cab voucher for Chicago Carriage Cab. A $10 food voucher for Union station. And a hotel voucher for the swissotel.

4. I arrived at the swissotel and had a room with a beautiful view.

Back