Union Pacific Leader for Amtrak #6(12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
The eastbound California Zephyr that's supposed to arrive in Chicago today is currently running over ten hours late in Nebraska.  Amtrak says it's had mechanical issues, signal problems, and weather related delays.  Mike Jensen 80701 filmed this Amtrak #6 this morning at the Fort Morgan, Colorado station with UP 8920 leading.  AMTK 94 is stated to be "dead."

Wow, the CZ really hasn't been doing great when it comes to OTP and mechanical reliability. As much as I'll miss the Gennies, the LD Chargers really can't come soon enough. :unsure:

This is the third time in the last 3 weeks this has happened.  All have happened in the middle of the week.  An engine craps out on #6 in Colorado.  The P42's are wearing out.   Oh well.

Yes the P-42s are in trouble.  Crescent #20/15 got to draw bridge in NOL and took 3+ hour delay .  Maintenance from NOL got there and finally fixed it!. 

They aren’t that old compared to many freight units in service, but Amtrak’s diesels live a hard life. The oldest F40s were built 1975 and retired 2001, making a 26 year service life, but the majority were significantly younger when retired (about 15-20 years old). The P42s were built 1996-2001 making them between 17 and 23 years old right now (not counting the handful of P40s which are 26 years old but have been rebuilt). I’d say they are living up to the F40’s legacy.

They aren’t that old compared to many freight units in service, but Amtrak’s diesels live a hard life. The oldest F40s were built 1975 and retired 2001, making a 26 year service life, but the majority were significantly younger when retired (about 15-20 years old). The P42s were built 1996-2001 making them between 17 and 23 years old right now (not counting the handful of P40s which are 26 years old but have been rebuilt). I’d say they are living up to the F40’s legacy.
They are old in terms of technology and parts availability. If you have a freight fleet of 1000s of similar units, it is easier to keep that fleet going as there are parts abound. That;s not the case with Amtrak's relatively small, specialty fleets.

Back