California Zephyr Glenwood Springs-SLC scenery?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been on the California Zephyr before - once between Denver and Glenwood Springs on the normal route, and another time between Sacramento and Chicago via the Wyoming detour. This leaves Glenwood Springs to Salt Lake City as the only segment I’ve never taken (I did the Sacramento-Emeryville segment on the Capitol Corridor). As I’m planning a trip to Glenwood Springs in late May/early June, I figured this may be a good opportunity to ride that segment.

Anyway, I’m curious - how is the scenery on this segment of the route compared to Denver-Glenwood Springs (which was amazing when I took it)? Would you usually see much (if any of it) in daylight during late May/early June? I’d be going out of my way to take it (as I’m coming from the east), and as such am wondering if it would be worth dealing with the late arrival time and going out of my way to see it (and flying home, as doubling back on the train is more time/money than I’d like to spend).

The stretch is scenic although less so than Denver to Glenwood Springs. In my opinion, it is similar to the best points on a route such as the SWC. The mountains and canyons west of Glenwood Springs would likely be in daylight, as well as Ruby Canyon and the Book Cliffs near the state line and to the west of it. However, Soldier Summit between Helper and Provo would almost certainly be in the dark.

As I recall the scenery is pleasant but not nearly as dramatic as the scenery between Denver and Glenwood Springs.  I think the downgrade run on the west side of Soldier Summit would be very interesting and scenic if you could see it but it is reached at dusk or just after, even in May.  

The ruby canyon, just west of grand junction, is one of my favorite parts of the ride. 

As others have said, it’s not as dramatic as the Rockies or Donner Pass.  But still some unique and quite nice scenery. 

If you've not already done so, using Google Earth to scan the route from above will give additional info - especially which side of the train to be on the lookout for interesting features.  It also has a "Sunlight" tool that can be set for any day of the year and time of day to sort of give an idea of whether you'll be able to see anything at all.

IMHO, nobody but you can judge the "worth" of such a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back