Rail Freak

California Trains?

We should keep pushing for improvements on the local level and for Amtrak California. A Second Transbay Tube is still in planning phases (and likely to get paid through a local bond measure anyways). There are so many other worthwhile projects that should get funding. I am presently writing a thing for it. 

38 minutes ago, Philly Amtrak Fan said:

California. Where you've got great service to Bakersfield and Fresno but not Los Angeles and San Fran!

Yup thats what you get when ones government can't just take your land and send you off to be "re-educated",  if you don't agree or don't do any environmental reviews.

16 hours ago, Philly Amtrak Fan said:

We should push for an overnight CS/Spirit of California train then. Just one LAX-San Jose train is ridiculous.

Actually, just two is ridiculous too. :rolleyes:

On 2/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, Philly Amtrak Fan said:

3. There is only one train to/from Chicago, Denver, and Salt Lake City but it doesn't serve San Francisco or Oakland without a bus connection, it drops you off at some town called Emeryville, wherever that is.

For reference, the Emeryville Amtrak station is about six miles *closer* to SF's Financial District than the SFO airport is. I'll grant you that there is a rail connection from the airport into downtown San Francisco, but a rail connection also exists for California Zephyr passengers if they get on or off the train in Richmond, CA.

28 minutes ago, fairviewroad said:

For reference, the Emeryville Amtrak station is about six miles *closer* to SF's Financial District than the SFO airport is. I'll grant you that there is a rail connection from the airport into downtown San Francisco, but a rail connection also exists for California Zephyr passengers if they get on or off the train in Richmond, CA.

Also, the thruway buses from Emeryville is non stop to SF using dedicated bus lanes to enter the Bay Bridge. Takes about the same time or even less than taking BART from SFO. Thruway has luggage compartment below the bus which makes things so much easier than BART when its crowded.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:16 PM, seat38a said:

Well it was announced that the side projects will continue. The original plan was not to electrify until the connection to San Jose was built so who knows on the electrification at this point. Clarification was released that it's not a cancellation and that the connection to SF and LA will eventually be built if there is money(IE Federal Funding.) This looks like its going to become like the Red/Purple line in LA. Half ass finished because of cost overruns and a decade or two later it gets finished.

This is kind of like a lot of "road to nowhere" highway projects I remember from the 1970s.  There was a half-assed US 322 partial bypass of State College Pa back when I was in grad school.  Totally useless segment of freeway. I returned to the area a couple of years ago, and now there's not only a full bypass, but it's connected to I 99, and there's direct freeway connections to Altoona, the Pa Turnpike, Lock Haven, Wlliamsppot and Corning NY.

5 hours ago, seat38a said:

Also, the thruway buses from Emeryville is non stop to SF using dedicated bus lanes to enter the Bay Bridge. Takes about the same time or even less than taking BART from SFO. Thruway has luggage compartment below the bus which makes things so much easier than BART when its crowded.

Not always dedicated.  I suppose they're dedicated bus lanes most of the time (including commercial buses with a permit) but during commute hours they double as 3+ HOV lanes.

980x.jpg

They've got that electronic sign that says "BUSES ONLY" most of the time.  For a while it got confusing because they didn't add "CARPOOL OK" to the electronic sign, although they eventually found a way to fit it all on the same display.

5 hours ago, MARC Rider said:

This is kind of like a lot of "road to nowhere" highway projects I remember from the 1970s.  There was a half-assed US 322 partial bypass of State College Pa back when I was in grad school.  Totally useless segment of freeway. I returned to the area a couple of years ago, and now there's not only a full bypass, but it's connected to I 99, and there's direct freeway connections to Altoona, the Pa Turnpike, Lock Haven, Wlliamsppot and Corning NY.

My only visit to Boston was when the Big Dig was still going on.  How long did that take?

I've definitely seen lots of incomplete freeways.  It seemed to take forever for CA 237 to be finished.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:12 PM, trainman74 said:

I didn't pick King of Prussia as my comparison randomly! :D  (It's the home of a huge mall.) But maybe I should have used Conshohocken, where there is an IKEA.

No outlet mall though.  I used to spend a lot of time there during my college years.  I grew up near Berkeley and Emeryville had a movie theater and the EmeryBay Public Market, plus I had a car to drive.  I'd go there and as a starving college student there was a place with a massive $2.50 beans and rice burrito.  I also remember the Emeryville station being built and the neon sign once the station opened.

The other shopping starting coming along gradually.  The big strip malls came in the mid 90s, then Ikea, then Bay Street.  That was about the time Pixar moved from Point Richmond to Emeryville.

As a kid growing up in the area, Emeryville was a pass-through town other than the strip of reclaimed land where there were several tall office buildings, a harbor, and some restaurants.  I think where Ikea is now was where Judson Steel used to be.  I remember they had this hangar-like building where one could see molten steel being poured from the freeway.  And the most fascinating thing was the Emeryville Mudflats with various driftwood creations.  Right now it looks totally natural, but eventually those "sculptures" were removed where they weren't allowed any more.

Mudflats_freeway_signs1.width-404.jpg