Amtrak Partner "Bieber Bus" Abruptly Shuts Down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
Friday 2/8 Amtrak Throughway Partner Bieber Bus based in Kutztown, PA abruptly shut down citing rising costs and low ridership numbers. 

Passengers were left stranded in NYC, Philadelphia, and in different areas of the Lehigh Valley. 

To make things worse it seems that Bieber Bus Employees weren't getting paychecks for a few weeks either. 

Bieber bus owes the Port Authority some $200,000 for usage fees at PABT. 

https://6abc.com/travel/bieber-transportation-group-in-pa-shuts-down-without-warning/5129822/

http://www.wfmz.com/news/berks/bieber-cancels-all-bus-service-until-further-notice/1006707700

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-bieber-cancels-bus-service-20190208-story,amp.html

Its a shame that this leaves a major void for those who were relying on Bieber to go to work or fed jury duty in Philly. 

As Bieber was collapsing, a couple of other bus companies stepped in to provide service to those going to NYC, but leaving only Amtrak's own bus service as the one bus running to Philly.

Bieber provided service to and from Philly from many areas that lost train service back in 1981 when SEPTA ended all non electrified service. Today some of those services would be almost impossible to restore. The issues with Beiber highlight how difficult it is for any transport company to attempt a for profit service.

Apparently Bieber's downfall began when they lost the Kutztown University contract. Bieber used to be primarily a contract service for universities and other such. Apparently they decided to move into commuter service, which probably was not the best move as it looks.

For NY services, Trans Bridge will probably fill in most of the slack. Don;t know what will happen with Philly.

Just to mention that the Morning Call newspaper has been publishing follow-up articles, and updates to previous articles, giving the alternative bus services that are available for the former Bieber commuters as they face Monday morning.    

I sent a short email yesterday to the two reporters authoring these articles, as well as cc'ing the editor-in-chief, letting them know that Amtrak offers bus service to Philly too.    To my dismay, the Morning Call has chosen to not pass this onto its readers.   I guess Amtrak doesn't buy enough ad space from the Morning Call for them to give Amtrak a free "plug".  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned in the other thread here, the Amtrak bus service in the Allentown area, has the Amtrak logo on the exterior "electronic sign" over the bus's windshield.    So, I think it is run independently from other bus routes.    

Also from the other thread, someone mentioned it was run by Martz Trailways.   I mean, the bus I saw, was defiantly not a Bieber bus.   It also didn't stop at any of the Bieber "owned" bus stations in the area (like the Charcoal Diner).

Back