Experiences with food availability on Silver Star-Northbound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am contemplating a trip on the silver service trains in April.  The menu on the silver star is adequate for me assume they do not run out of things that I want to order.  Do they restock the train in Miami for the northbound run?   

thank you

There were a number of reports some months back about the café on the Star running out of selections but I have not seen any recent reports about this. 

I would recommend that you take an ample supply of your own snacks just in case. 

The train is stripped of all food the night before when arriving MIA and starts with new issue of stock the next morning when departing.
Do they still carry the corridor menu? I guess that would be one perk of using Boars Head, it can be be purchased anywhere, as opposed to the York Street stuff (which I liked more) which could only be received from the one location.

The train is stripped of all food the night before when arriving MIA and starts with new issue of stock the next morning when departing.
Do they still carry the corridor menu? I guess that would be one perk of using Boars Head, it can be be purchased anywhere, as opposed to the York Street stuff (which I liked more) which could only be received from the one location.
I believe they are doing  Boars Head...

When I rode on the Star from ORL to RVR in July 2017, I had no issues getting food for breakfast from the cafe car.   I don't know about lunch or dinner stock because I had my "dinner" on the 95 Northeast Regional to NPN after I had changed trains in Richmond.

It's the "old" menu (that used to be on the NEC before they tried to go trendy with the new one), so on the Star you can still get a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich and a cinnamon roll, and for some reason, they taste better on the Star than they ever did on the NEC.

It's the "old" menu (that used to be on the NEC before they tried to go trendy with the new one), so on the Star you can still get a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich and a cinnamon roll, and for some reason, they taste better on the Star than they ever did on the NEC.
What in particular about it tasted so much better?

The cheese on the breakfast sandwich was melted instead of a hard block, and the cinnamon roll was softer and not like a brick. Maybe they just know how to use the microwave better on the Star :p .
Maybe it's because they used the convection oven/toaster instead of the microwave.  After years of brick hard microwaved hot dog rolls and bagels, I was once pleasantly surprised when I was served an actual toasted bagel one morning riding the Vermonter. And I've also started noticing that the cafe attendant unwraps the hot dog package and heats the frankfurter separately from the bun. 

Back