BNSF Engine Leading Amtrak #6(06)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
The eastbound California Zephyr that's supposed to arrive in Chicago later today was stopped near Holdrege, Nebraska for several hours for "mechanical issues."  This #6 is now running with Dash 9 BNSF 5132 leading.

Trains of Nebraska filmed this train in eastern Nebraska.

The eastbound California Zephyr that's supposed to arrive in Chicago later today was stopped near Holdrege, Nebraska for several hours for "mechanical issues."  This #6 is now running with Dash 9 BNSF 5132 leading.
Trains of Nebraska filmed this train in eastern Nebraska.

Nice video. Sounds like jointed rail in that part of Nebraska.

I’ve been sound asleep on all of my previous trips on #6 (and #5) through that neck of the woods

I am on this train in the second sleeper and noticed you filming as we went by!  According to what I heard on my scanner, the lead unit had problems with traction motors on the first and third axles.  The engine crew tried to cut them out near Ft. Morgan but it didn’t work.

Thank you for that elaboration.  Here's the video I filmed of your train as it went through Agency, Iowa seven hours and forty-nine minutes late.

Twice in the last two weeks this scenario has happened.  I was supposed to leave from Holdrege the morning of January 31st (Thursday) on #6 for Chicago and then onto Washington.  Train was on-time until just east of Denver when mechanical issues occurred.  Ended up arriving Holdrege around 6:30 AM and ended up arriving Chicago at 1:40 AM Friday.  Once I found out when it would arrive Holdrege I cancelled my reservation, got a full refund for the Zephyr portion of the trip, a voucher for the Capitol Limited portion, drove to Omaha Friday, and flew Southwest to Washington.

I know this has been a tough winter in places, but given the age of the P42's reliability is really a hit or miss thing especially on the long-distance trains.  I wonder if Amtrak is doing anything maintenance wise to address the problem or just waiting for the new Chargers for the LD trains?

Back