EB 27/28 Meal Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the "cold meal service" on 27 and 28 typically consist of? Considering a trip to the Pacific Northwest this summer and looking at the options, Seattle vs. Portland legs. I've been on 7 previously so the Portland trip is appealing as something new. But I also am loathe to miss any opportunity for a full service dining experience, presuming those days are numbered. Thanks.

What does the "cold meal service" on 27 and 28 typically consist of? Considering a trip to the Pacific Northwest this summer and looking at the options, Seattle vs. Portland legs. I've been on 7 previously so the Portland trip is appealing as something new. But I also am loathe to miss any opportunity for a full service dining experience, presuming those days are numbered. Thanks.
The Boxed Supper from PDX is prepared by a well known Caterer in Portland and is Excellent. Your SCA will give you a choice of several meals ( Seafood,Chicken,Veggie etc) after you leave Portland. The Early Birds get first choice, I prefer the Seafood Box myself.

The Boxed Breakfast from Spokane isn't as  good, its usually Yogurt,Fruit,a Croissantwhich,Juice.  it is usually  served in the Sightseer Lounge as the Sun comes up over the Columbia Gorge as you roll down the River towards the City of Roses.

IMO Both are much better than the original Cold Boxed Meals served on the Lake Shore and Cap .( there are now updated meals with Hot Option on those Trains)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on 27 a couple of times but never on 28.

The breakfast on 27 about 4-5 years ago consisted, to the best of my recollection, of a croissant with ham and cheese, some yogurt, some type of fruit and a muffin, all served cold.  It was adequate but nothing to write home about.  On our trips we picked up the breakfast from the cafe attendant and ate it in the sightseer lounge but I have been told that on some trips the sleeping car attendant serves the breakfast to you in your room and not in the lounge.  There seems to be some inconsistency in the practice.  

That being said the scenery on the run to Portland in the Columbia River gorge is something to write home about so don't let the mediocre breakfast discourage you.  Go to Portland.  

I’ve never been fond of the boxed dinners so the last couple of times I’ve taken the train out of Portland, I’ve traveled on the Cascades up to Seattle and catch 8. I don’t mind the cold breakfast, however so I always take 27 into Portland.

February, 2008:

/monthly_2019_02/IMG_7090.JPG.08d4f5f37ab963e298f914f6be460d21.JPG

February 2018:

/monthly_2019_02/IMG_1490.thumb.JPG.de84b1b0579c65d72758a83864653df8.JPG

I think the meal I had in ‘08 was far better, plus the included champagne back then. But I digress.

Attachments

• IMG_7090.JPG
    IMG_7090.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 0
I’ve never been fond of the boxed dinners so the last couple of times I’ve taken the train out of Portland, I’ve traveled on the Cascades up to Seattle and catch 8. I don’t mind the cold breakfast, however so I always take 27 into Portland.
Perhaps the best solution to the original question would be to travel west on 27 to Portland, then go to Seattle and return on No. 8.  After the dining car meals on 7 east of Spokane, the boxed breakfast on 27 is more tolerable and you would have a full dinner on 8 after leaving Seattle.

The boxed breakfast wasn't bad--especially when looking out the window at the Columbia River.  Our cafe attendant actually microwaved the sandwiches for us, so it made it pretty nice.

If you are going to put up with one boxed breakfast in your life, there is no better time to do it than eating it in the Sightseer Lounge while watching the sun come up over the Columbia River--one of the most beautiful travel experiences I ever had. And the breakfast itself truly wasn't bad--I had the ham breakfast sandwich, so there is protein in it, and the blueberry crumble was much better than Amtrak's usual blueberry muffins.

Presentation and quantity seems to have gone down hill since my ride in 2015 based on the 2018 picture above.

17432538604_4af2b56bd2_z.jpg

17868902539_05dc7b4873_z.jpg

Salad with some grilled shrimp, bread, Oreo cake. It was ok. The shrimp were not fresh though.
I was wondering because they sure didn't look that fresh.  The photos of earlier meals look pretty good though.  I probably should have ridden the EB back when it was part of the premium service dining routes.  Feels like ages ago now.

It's been many years ago when I took the EB into Portland.  My cold breakfast was plentiful and good.  It also included a hard boiled egg.

It's been many years ago when I took the EB into Portland.  My cold breakfast was plentiful and good.  It also included a hard boiled egg.
That's something I'm hoping for when I ride in June.......plentiful, good and even a hard boiled egg!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back