CHI Legacy Club Closed, Metropolitan Lounge now $25

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WindyCityTexan

Train Attendant
UPDATE, GOOD NEWS on the closing of the Legacy Club at Chicago Union Station:

The Metropolitan Lounge is now accepting ANYONE willing to pay $25 for a Day Pass. I'm posting this from the Metropolitan Lounge, where I'm waiting for a friend to arrive. This information comes directly from the Attendant at the front desk.

Again, Day Passes at the Metropolitan Lounge are now $25, down from the original $50 per person.

As always, passengers in Business Class and Sleeper accommodations have complimentary access, as do AGR Select Plus and Select Executive members regardless of ticket class.

Amenities include snacks, beverages, hot showers, business areas, TVs, comfortable seating areas, a children's play area, and preboarding.IMG_20190207_104945748.jpeg

This sounds like a great middle ground. Was there anything big that the Legacy offered which the Met doesn’t?
Yes, the Legacy Club offered day passes for $20 regardless of class of service, and was also open to Metra commuters, and priority boarding on Amtrak.

I believe it also included a few alcoholic beverages, which the Metropolitan Lounge has on a pay per drink basis.

This sounds like a great middle ground. Was there anything big that the Legacy offered which the Met doesn’t?
Canned beverages and various chips as snacks.  Also, people were able to bring in outside food where the Metro Lounge they can't.

The Met Lounge does have a free wine tasting with two free glasses. I wish I remember details more clearly (heck, I was there in October), but I think it is daily around 1:00?

The Met Lounge does have a free wine tasting with two free glasses. I wish I remember details more clearly (heck, I was there in October), but I think it is daily around 1:00?
They roll out the bar around the time the veggies and cheese bar is available, which is at 12:30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Legacy Club offered day passes for $20 regardless of class of service, and was also open to Metra commuters, and priority boarding on Amtrak.

I believe it also included a few alcoholic beverages, which the Metropolitan Lounge has on a pay per drink basis.
They offered some beers, as well as Coke products.  Also, in my experience the staff were far nicer than the Met Lounge folks had a reputation for being.

The Legacy Club had a decent happy hour. Three full sized drinks plus better snacks like pastries in the morning and bags of chips or pretzels in the afternoon. The old Met lounge had better snacks than the current one.

The Legacy Club had a decent happy hour. Three full sized drinks plus better snacks like pastries in the morning and bags of chips or pretzels in the afternoon. The old Met lounge had better snacks than the current one.
I really am curious as to why they downgraded the snack offerings in the Met Lounge the way they did. If I'm on a trip, I don't want cold veggies!

I agree. When I arrive in the morning the only food available is fruit. I would prefer a packaged pastry or some kind of bread to go along with coffee. I preferred the snacks in the old Metropolitan lounge.

I had the little oatmeal cups that you add hot water to, and some packaged pastries when I was there. Are they no longer offered, or do they put out a limited amount and when people stuff them in their bags, they are not refilled?

How about the Gold Lion again - the upscale restaurant in that SW corner of the Head House (whoops; Great Hall in Amtrakese) that lasted well into the Amtrak era.

Consistency has never been an Amtrak strong suit. 3 of us have been there in the morning, each has experienced something different.....
I’ve been in the new ML dozens of times and things have stayed pretty consistent when I’ve been there. Small changes have happened, however, including the cash bar and the upstairs candy table.

The routine in the lounge regarding snacks is, morning oatmeal and fruit, 12:30 veggie/cheese bar until finished (usually around 4-4:30) then replacing that is nut/trail mix dispensers.

The one inconsistency I’ve noticed, however, is the enforcement of the no outside food rule. I’ve seen quite a few people smuggling food in and not get caught but also have seen people reprimanded for it. I wonder if that rule will change now that the Legacy Lounge has closed. I doubt it. Of course there is space in the lobby for people to eat outside food.... and the desk attendants do make sure that is what those seats are utilized for.

Mercifully, I've never seen the candy bar upstairs, I'd probably miss my train.....I've been in it before the bar, and with, it seems a bit quicker than the original idea of servers taking orders and returning...

PVD said:
Mercifully, I've never seen the candy bar upstairs, I'd probably miss my train.....I've been in it before the bar, and with, it seems a bit quicker than the original idea of servers taking orders and returning...
Took this in December, but I first saw it last May. Knowing the popularity of the upstairs part, the candy is probably that old. LOL. This is located underneath the TV.

/monthly_2019_02/IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.4c530c49ae1dec08ac314625ea647fd7.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    648.9 KB · Views: 1
Took this in December, but I first saw it last May. Knowing the popularity of the upstairs part, the candy is probably that old. LOL. This is located underneath the TV.

/monthly_2019_02/IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.4c530c49ae1dec08ac314625ea647fd7.JPG
Based on the condition of the candy when I was there in December, I think the same stuff has been there since the lounge was built......

Based on the condition of the candy when I was there in December, I think the same stuff has been there since the lounge was built......
That's because I didn't know about it til now--if I had, it would turn over real fast! :giggle:

What time do they put this out? Or is it an idea that has come and gone and is no longer around?

That's because I didn't know about it til now--if I had, it would turn over real fast!
default_mosking.gif

What time do they put this out? Or is it an idea that has come and gone and is no longer around?
I think it always is out. I’ll check when I’m there a week from Monday and see if they’re still doing it.

Back