Senator Manchin (D-WV) writes letter to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
First off here is the link.

https://www.manchin.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/manchin-urges-amtrak-to-reconsider-their-policies-that-negatively-impact-wv-railroad

Here is an interesting letter from Senator Manchin (D-WV) to Richard Anderson that states a lot of things I've wanted to post here but couldn't because of my position with CP Huntington having insider knowledge.

According to Manchin and validated by my own internal sources because of Amtrak CP Huntington lost 180,000 dollars on the running of New River Train this year. Despite the fact they sold out four departures of a 30 car consist.

It further outlines some points about our private car operations that have been impacted by Amtraks refusal to allow us to add and subtract cars in Huntington. But I'll add more to that point using my information.

-We store private cars starting at $400 a month without power and charge more for services rendered. Before the refusal to add or subtract cars we stored seven cars in South Yard that have all gone elsewhere drying up that revenue stream.

-We operate a PV rebuild shop known for interior work. But without the ability to add or subtract cars the shop is no longer attracting business. Which is partially due to the lack of a switch. But also due to the uncertainty in the PV world.

-outside charters with our two cars are economically not viable. Case and point I was planning to run a charter with my two cars from CHI-WAS-CHI with two of our cars and a few others. But the client I have balked at having to pay for the cars to be sent in freight from Huntington to Indianapolis. So our two cars won't be running on steam trips this year because it is cost prohibitive to move them out of storage.

-all employees, and contractors have been laid off. This is true and the skilled tradesmen who made South Yard their home are all moving to different parts of the country. So Huntington has lost institutional knowledge. Hence I'm now looking for work because I don't know what to do. So far I have interviews with Emirates, Alaska Airlines, and Norwegian so hopefully I'll land on my feet.

And I can tell you from my own information despite withholding some information about how grave our financials are. New River Train's last train ran in 2018 and I strongly doubt it'll run in 2019. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it will.

So thanks to the actions of Richard Anderson and Stephen Gardner they have killed multiple small businesses like me, the Hatrick's, CP Huntington and so many others. So I am asking you please write your congressmen to save our trains, save our small businesses, save our jobs, and because I consider most of you friends. Save your friends job.

We need a lot of things but mostly a leadership change of heart.

The lack of the HUN switch seriously impacted The Last New River Train because we had to assemble all of the cars in Chicago prior to the operation.

However they claimed they were "too busy" to accommodate all of the cars to assemble on one day. Instead they wanted each day to move no more than two cars. Now when Manchin got involved in that Amtrak was forced to allow larger cuts in and out of Chicago.

Keep in mind there were 7 cars from MSP, 9 from New Jersey, 1 from SAV, LAX, PHL, and 6 from Chicago. So that would have taken ten days. Then remember you have to pay $170 something a night to park a car in Chicago. And you are paying for more more moves at 3.67 instead of the additional car rate of 2.81.

In years past we've put the PVs on the rear of the Cardinals and it was significantly cheaper than what we did this year. This year they required us to run a special move from IND-HUN and HUN-CHI.

And what I find really funny we cut Amtrak Coaches from the charter and the price went up.

If the switch is restored that won't save CP Huntington. Unless Richard Anderson wants to donate some of his 72 million dollars for all of the damage he's done to a non profit. That could significantly help. But that won't happen because he doesn't care.

The track is owned by CSX actually. NS owns the former N&W main that skirts the WV/KY border region for awhile.

I don't believe there would be an FRA issue because they are a common carrier. The bigger issue is one must possess a large liability insurance policy that most PV owners, and charter train providers can't provide. However that might be changing with the new policy by United Shortline Insurance. But it won't help us because to put it mildly were broke.

On a somewhat different but similar line, I wonder how the Roanoke Chapter NRHS is faring with cars to put behind 611 whenever it runs? 

On a somewhat different but similar line, I wonder how the Roanoke Chapter NRHS is faring with cars to put behind 611 whenever it runs? 
611 has quite a few issues other than NS preventing it from running. Currently the Roanoke chapter is building a PV storage yard because it's an approved point. So they will end up lucky in that regard. But they can only take one car in at a time however.

While I do like this portion of the letter,

Without West Virginia’s historical support, Amtrak would not exist.  That’s why I find it so disheartening to see the impacts of these decisions.  I am committed to doing whatever I can, legislatively or otherwise, to save the traditions and communities threatened by these policies.  I stand ready to work with you to keep West Virginian’s proud railroad history alive.
I do not really seeing any force applied. The current regime has demonstrated they are willing to shrug off letters and a certain amount of criticism.  Is there any amount of force behind this? Are we going to see any appropriation threats or language added to riders?

I'm not quite sure what thread to put this in, but since we have both Anderson and Gardner mentioned in this one, here goes.

I just got my Passenger Train Journal and read Don Phillips' column.

(Seaboard92, if you are reading this, make sure you are sitting down before you read any further :p .)

I know Don can be a bit quirky and opinionated, but this column seems downright odd. He can't stand Anderson, of course, but he seems to think that Gardner could be a good replacement as Amtrak CEO and could be the best CEO Amtrak ever had. He also admits that he hasn't talked to Gardner and doesn't know him. (He is essentially just going on a hunch.) Don also admits that he himself could be wrong (first sensible thing he says in the column :p ).

Huh? :wacko:

I thought the prevailing opinion was that Anderson and Gardner are practically twins in their outlook and "vision" for Amtrak, and I would think that any train writer would know this and know a bit more about Gardner.

What's going on with Don?

I'm not quite sure what thread to put this in, but since we have both Anderson and Gardner mentioned in this one, here goes.

(Seaboard92, if you are reading this, make sure you are sitting down before you read any further :p .)

I know Don can be a bit quirky and opinionated, but this column seems downright odd. He can't stand Anderson, of course, but he seems to think that Gardner could be a good replacement as Amtrak CEO and could be the best CEO Amtrak ever had. He also admits that he hasn't talked to Gardner and doesn't know him. (He is essentially just going on a hunch.) Don also admits that he himself could be wrong (first sensible thing he says in the column :p ).

I thought the prevailing opinion was that Anderson and Gardner are practically twins in their outlook and "vision" for Amtrak, and I would think that any train writer would know this and know a bit more about Gardner.

I think this is a case of him just hating Anderson so much that he assumes anyone who isn't Anderson will be better. Did he list any facts or examples why Gardner would be better? Because if he didn't, as you say it sounds like it's just on a hunch. :wacko:

Oh you just had to go done this road. :wacko:

I was thinking that it was Gardner who lead Anderson down the wrong path. However I am firmly in the camp of that these guys (Anderson and Gardner) need to be fired, at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
From talking to my contacts at New River which is the last group I actively work for. If we can't get 380k were not running.

But also from talking with them they think Gardner would be the death of the whole industry. We're dead in the water. And unless we find that money were dead.

If you let Gardner in were all dead.

The track is owned by CSX actually. NS owns the former N&W main that skirts the WV/KY border region for awhile.

I don't believe there would be an FRA issue because they are a common carrier.
The common carrier regulations have never been seriously tested by someone with enough money to force the issue.  As far as I can tell from the legal doctrines, if I tell CSX I want to transport a train full of passengers on their railroad from station A to station B, *as a common carrier they are legally obligated to do so*.  But they can charge whatever rate they like, so it would have to be a billionaire pushing them on it.

The bigger issue is one must possess a large liability insurance policy that most PV owners, and charter train providers can't provide. However that might be changing with the new policy by United Shortline Insurance. But it won't help us because to put it mildly were broke.

Back