One dead motor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's  8:06 pm, and I'm sitting in the dark on NER 186 a little south of milepost 99 somewhere between BWI and West Baltimore. we were going great and then the lights went out and we coasted to a stop.  Announcement made that we were having mechanical problems...I'm in first car and crew hanging out were talking about how the couldn't keep the circuit breaker closed.

Lights went back on for a moment, and then went off again.  Sounds like the conductor was calling Tech Support (at Siemens?) and was given some codes, presumably for the engineer.  Nice chilly night, reporting 12F at BWI.  So far the coach is still warm, but I hope they get this fixed or offload us into a rescue train soon!

Hm, Amtrak just said on Twitter you would be going on 2128 but then immediately deleted that tweet.

Shouldn't they just be able to just hook up the new locomotive and not have to offload?

Hm, Amtrak just said on Twitter you would be going on 2128 but then immediately deleted that tweet.
They livened up the engine so a transfer isn't necessary....yet.

Shouldn't they just be able to just hook up the new locomotive and not have to offload?
Did you read the temperature?   Assuming there is a crew, it would take almost an hour minutes to get the nearest rescue engine to the train...and that is just to arrive, not hook it up and cable it up to HEP.  2128 is much closer.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened with passengers bound for Aberdeen? Acela can't stop because it's not a high-level platform.

Back