LaQuinta Inns, no points on two bookings so far

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought that I'd post my experience trying to get Amtrak points at LaQunita Inns. I followed the procedure and upon check in requested that the clerk credit my stay in Amtrak points. They said ok but didn't want my Amtrak card. They said all is OK but no points resulted. I called LaQuinta customer service and they have no idea what Amtrak points are and how to get them. My experience points to the fact that LaQuinta is getting free advertising on the AGR site,  Amtrak customer bookings but the point offer is a hoax. There is no place to put your AGR no. on the online reservation.  Anyone else here seeing the same thing?.

Just thought that I'd post my experience trying to get Amtrak points at LaQunita Inns. I followed the procedure and upon check in requested that the clerk credit my stay in Amtrak points. They said ok but didn't want my Amtrak card. They said all is OK but no points resulted. I called LaQuinta customer service and they have no idea what Amtrak points are and how to get them. My experience points to the fact that LaQuinta is getting free advertising on the AGR site,  Amtrak customer bookings but the point offer is a hoax. There is no place to put your AGR no. on the online reservation.  Anyone else here seeing the same thing?.
I quit staying at LaQuinta Inns because of this very reason. Amtrak needs to investigate.

Here is the solution. Book LaQuinta or any other hotel through Rocket Miles. Rocket Miles allows you to put your AGR no. in your profile so the points happen automatically at the time of your stay. LaQuinta does not allow any reference to AGR online or otherwise. With their policy, LaQuinta requires you to ask a very confused front desk clerk who knows nothing about the program for the points. They haven't bothered in two stays so far,.  Just watch the nightly rates through Rocket Miles as they can sometimes be higher than booking direct.

Hopefully the merger with Wyndham will allow them to properly apply the AGR number and points after the stay. The option is there in their system to have all stays booked with your Wyndham Rewards number to automatically apply points to AGR instead of Wyndham, and that's worked smoothly for me. La Quinta's setup of having to request it at check-in, likely from a desk agent that isn't sure how anything but possibly their own loyalty program works, is a system that's basically expected to fail.

Here is the solution. Book LaQuinta or any other hotel through Rocket Miles. Rocket Miles allows you to put your AGR no. in your profile so the points happen automatically at the time of your stay. LaQuinta does not allow any reference to AGR online or otherwise. With their policy, LaQuinta requires you to ask a very confused front desk clerk who knows nothing about the program for the points. They haven't bothered in two stays so far,.  Just watch the nightly rates through Rocket Miles as they can sometimes be higher than booking direct.
This isn't a great solution. Typically RocketMiles reservations aren't eligible for elite stay earning or hotel points earning at hotel chains, and in my experience they charge the same rate or higher than other platforms for the stay, but force a non-refundable clause on the reservation which similar rates elsewhere don't have. I also can't apply any discounts (such as AAA, corporate, or discount codes) that would drop the price of the room if I booked directly. Most hotels will give you a decent discount (15-20%) if you pay the non-refundable rate and will at least let you earn their hotel points and help earn status at that hotel. I've found very few rates on RocketMiles that, after that's taken into account, are still a good deal based on the points earning that I'll get. For me, it's not worth 1,000 points if I could save $50 by booking a similar non-refundable rate directly with the hotel.

Back