Texas Eagle cancelled today (1/30)...why?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They cancelled it because the southbound train 21 is cancelled. If it ran there would not be a train in Texas to run on Thursday.

All trains into and out of Chicago have been cancelled for at least today and tomorrow because of the severe weather conditions.

COLD!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the train 21 that left yesterday is enroute to SAS and will arrive tonight, but todays departure out of CHI did not happen. So there will be two train sets in SAS tonight. From what Amtrak has been tweeting and posting, they are basically putting most trains in and out of CHI on hold until the cold air recedes. 

Actually, the train 21 that left yesterday is enroute to SAS and will arrive tonight, but todays departure out of CHI did not happen. So there will be two train sets in SAS tonight. From what Amtrak has been tweeting and posting, they are basically putting most trains in and out of CHI on hold until the cold air recedes. 
With todays train 21 being cancelled they have to cancel a train 22 one day. They could wait until the Friday train which uses the equipment of the cancelled train but what would they say was the reason? The "cold in Chicago"? It will be 38 degrees in Chicago on Saturday when it arrives in Chicago. 

With todays train 21 being cancelled they have to cancel a train 22 one day. They could wait until the Friday train which uses the equipment of the cancelled train but what would they say was the reason? The "cold in Chicago"? It will be 38 degrees in Chicago on Saturday when it arrives in Chicago. 
I get it, it’s just where and how they want the break in the flow to happen. Personally I’m surprised they allowed as many LD trains into Chicago today as they did. It would have been possible to truncate most of these trains mid-route where the weather might be cold but not what Chicago is getting. That would have at least covered any passengers between said points and positioned the equipment closer to Chicago so service could be restored quicker.

Switch heaters are nothing new. They have been used before during normal winters. Not just this extreme cold.
Do most switch heaters typically involve actual flame? I would have thought that some kind of electric rail heating method would be more efficient (and safer) than a bunch of blowtorches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do most switch heaters typically involve actual flame? I would have thought that some kind of electric rail heating method would be more efficient (and safer) than a bunch of blowtorches.
Don’t know about most, but the ones used by Metra have involved actual flames since forever.  I see them pretty much every winter.

Don’t know about most, but the ones used by Metra have involved actual flames since forever.  I see them pretty much every winter.
The picture I saw on the web was more like they put something flammable on the rails, and lit it up.

I've seen the switch heaters in Chicago, they're little firepots at the switches. and, yes, you can see the flames.  The ones in Washington don't have the flames and smoke, so I guess they're electric.

In my time working for E-L and Conrail, there were several methods to keep switches operational in freezing precipitation.

1.   Sweeping.  Get out there with a broom and sweep the snow out from between the switch points and the stock rails.  This is labor intensive and if the train crew has to do it, it'll delay the train.  Also, if the snow is drifting, by the time you clean out the second end of a crossover, you have to go back and start all over again.  This is no good for ice.
  2.  Burning.  Actually pour on some gasoline or kerosene and light it.  This is a short-term solution meaning that you have to do it repeatedly if it's actively snowing/sleeting.  You also have to avoid setting the ties on fire.
  3.  Snow blowers.  We had jet engines mounted on a track car of sorts.  It creates a great wind, but not a lot of heat.  It generally was good for snow.
  4.  Electric switch heaters.  These are heating elements permanently mounted on the outside of the stock rails.  All you need do is turn on the switch in the central office.  They're good, but not as effective as gas heaters.  If it's snowing like the dickens, they won't keep up.  Also, if the power goes off, they're dead.
  5.  Gas heaters.  These are the Cadillacs of heaters.  The section gang would go out and turn on the gas and light them.  They produce a great deal of heat by directing flames onto the rails.
jb

Most switch heaters are gas. Either natural gas in cities and propane in rural areas. Next time you are on the Empire Builder or Zephyr watch along side the tracks. When you feel the bumps from a switch look next to the track. You will see a big propane tank next to the track.

Back