Mini-Marts Near Tampa Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I will be riding the Silver Star in March, boarding at Tampa. What is the area around the TPA station like? Are there places where you can buy drinks and snacks near the station? Looking to save a few dollars...

If I remember correctly, the area in the immediate area of the Tampa station is industrial.  I do not recall any mini-marts in the area.  I do recall seeing vending machines in the station. 

If you had an unlimited amount of time, you would walk the few blocks to the trolley stop and go to Ybor City.  That is not an option if you are not detraining in Tampa.

I agree with Penny. The area around the station in Tampa is industrial and under the highway overpasses. I don't recall any place to get anything. While Ybor City is really not far, there isn't any good way to walk there. If it were me, I'd Uber it but if you are doing that, you can go over to the Riverwalk where there are numerous, hotels, restaurants etc. or downtown.

I don't like walking around the station area.

Sounds like I should probably just take Lyft or Uber to the station and just stay there.

If you are going to take Uber or Lyft, have them stop at a convenience store on the way.  I sure they would know of one. Then give an extra tip.

There is nothing at the Amtrak station.  Not even taxis.  When we debarked the Ambus there we called taxis but they never came.  We finally called our hotel and they connected us with an inexpensive shuttle they used.  EM

Generally, when we arrive in Tampa, there is someone at the end of the platform asking if you want a taxi, who will get you a driver. The taxis all park in a lot opposite the platform and there are none out front.

You can call a rental car and they will pick you up. The numbers are listed in the station.

No place to get food and walking in the area around the station is not great. Once you get s few blocks away toward downtown, it’s ok.

The reason why I’m boarding at Tampa is because I am attending a Spring Training baseball game there the afternoon I depart. I’m likely to either have my parents take me to the station or use Lyft. Depends on: A. If the game ends at 4:00 or earlier, B. The Star happens to be delayed getting into TPA, or C. My parents and I leave the game early. The game starts at 1:00.

This reminds me of a question I've had for a while: could someone who is taking the Star(vation) past Tampa hop off when the train first stops in Lakeland, grab something to eat nearby, and hop back on on the return? There's like an hour and a half between stops...

This reminds me of a question I've had for a while: could someone who is taking the Star(vation) past Tampa hop off when the train first stops in Lakeland, grab something to eat nearby, and hop back on on the return? There's like an hour and a half between stops...
I think it would be a risk (if you are not ticketed as such). 

Not too long ago, I was on 92 and a passenger ordered food through Uber Eats and it was delivered to the platform in Lakeland (at the second Lakeland stop).  I believe there was some confusion and the passenger ended up running in order to get the food and get back on the train.

The reason why I’m boarding at Tampa is because I am attending a Spring Training baseball game there the afternoon I depart. I’m likely to either have my parents take me to the station or use Lyft. Depends on: A. If the game ends at 4:00 or earlier, B. The Star happens to be delayed getting into TPA, or C. My parents and I leave the game early. The game starts at 1:00.
Between Steinbrenner Field and Union Station, probably the easiest place to stop for snacks and drinks would be the 7-Eleven at Dale Mabry and Spruce. If you want a more substantial selection, there's a Walmart a couple blocks down, closer to I-275 (although it's on the "wrong" side of the street and would probably take quite a bit longer to stop than the 7-Eleven).

I remembered this question when I was on the Silver Star yesterday.  I asked the conductor if it is OK if passengers get off at the first Lakeland stop, get something to eat and get back on board at the second Lakeland stop.  The conductor said this is fine as long as the passenger tells a crew member that he/she is doing this.  I may try this on my next trip from Miami on 92.

Back