Luggage storage in Chicago's Metropoliton Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimontheriver

Train Attendant
I will be coming into Chicago (business class) with a 6 hour layover 1-8-19, leaving on Capitol Limited to DC  with sleeper then south to Miami with sleeper and I will be returning to Chicago 2-3-19 from NOL with sleeper with a 8 hour layover before my train to Macomb, IL.  My question is, can I leave a small bag in the self check room in the Met Lounge with a heavy coat and boots that I would during my 2 Chicago layovers. It would be from 1-8 to 2-3, Monday to Sunday??   Also is there a lounge available in  the DC station or place to check my bag during my layover there. Thanks,  JIM

I'm pretty sure you can't leave bags in the Met Lounge that long, but I'm not sure.

And there is a Metropolitan Lounge (formerly ClubAcela) in D.C. for sleeper and Acela First Class passengers, where you can store your bags.

I've had no problems leaving my bags in the lounge at CHI for 4-10 hrs between trains on multiple occasions.  Note they close at 9PM and force LSL passengers to the boarding area.  I strongly doubt overnight storage is an option and your bags will end up at lost and found.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know you can leave luggage in the ML's self check room as long as you like, within the opening hours of the lounge, if you are entitled to use it.  They know there are some pretty long layovers.

I've never l left luggage that long in Chicago (well, I only used the new ML once), but I left bags in the LA ML from about 9:30 am until 9 something at night for the Sunset.  When I came in they asked what train I was leaving on, I said the Sunset, and that was fine.

Regarding baggage storage at the Chicago Metropolitan lounge, the room is on the far right of the front reception area. There is no longer an attendant there so its all self service. In several years of using that lounge we haven't experienced any problems but if it makes you feel better, you could always bring a bicycle lock and hitch your luggage to the racks. IMO the metro lounge at Chicago is the best that Amtrak has. There is complimentary soda, juice, sparkling water, coffee, tea, cappuccino/espresso and occasional fruits, vegetables and cheeses. Wine can often be purchased there as well.

When you are at NOL the Magnolia room (lounge)  offers a private waiting area w coffee but not much else. D.C is pretty nice but all they have there is soda , pretzels and fish shaped crackers. Whatever lounge you are in during a layover, its certainly better than being out in the crowded station..

It would be from 1-8 to 2-3, Monday to Sunday??   Also is there a lounge available in  the DC station or place to check my bag during my layover there. Thanks,  JIM
I think some clarification is needed.  Are you asking if you can leave things in the lounge baggage check from Monday till Sunday? If this is the case then I'll say no. 

If you're asking is it possible to leave your luggage there during each individual  layover then absolutely! Once I came in on the Cap left my bags and left that night on the Card. Another time I arrived on the LSL and left on the Cap same day. 

DC has a nice luggage storage area in the lounge behind check in. 

There's no overnight storage available for someone to hold something at CUS. If you don't want to worry about having to manage the coats and boots during your layover in WAS, you could check them through in Chicago to Miami. (You may be able to check them back to Chicago as well, but if your bag is delayed you're stuck without a coat or boots, and you may have to come back to Chicago to get the bag as well if it doesn't arrive before your connecting train leaves.)

Bags can be stored during your layover in Chicago and DC. In Chicago, the Metropolitan Lounge is available. In DC, the ClubAcela is available. Both have self-service unsecured luggage rooms, though they're only accessible after checking in at the lounge. They're generally safe, though I wouldn't leave anything that's obviously high-value in there and visible.

I will be coming into Chicago (business class) with a 6 hour layover 1-8-19, leaving on Capitol Limited to DC  with sleeper then south to Miami with sleeper and I will be returning to Chicago 2-3-19 from NOL with sleeper with a 8 hour layover before my train to Macomb, IL.  My question is, can I leave a small bag in the self check room in the Met Lounge with a heavy coat and boots that I would during my 2 Chicago layovers. It would be from 1-8 to 2-3, Monday to Sunday??   Also is there a lounge available in  the DC station or place to check my bag during my layover there. Thanks,  JIM
If I understand your post correctly, you want to leave baggage at CUS for nearly a month? I can't imagine Amtrak would want to promote anything like that with a policy that allows it, but you should ask Amtrak to clarify. I mean, what if a significant percentage of pax started doing that or something like that? The shelves would be filled with long-term storage and little room left for same-day storage. And then there are the post 9-11 security issues to be considered that would escalate if long-term storage was an option.

A better option might be to re-think your clothing choices. Layering comes to mind. You can be totally comfortable in Chicago during winter with a maximum of four or five layers of varying weights, no heavy coat needed. Let Polartec and similar clothing be your friend. I've spent many nights hiking and/or camping in the backcountry during deep winter with this kind of system, and never felt very cold; in fact at times I overheated and had to shed a layer. YMMV. Don't forget a warm pullover hat that can cover your ears, and some decent mid-weight water resistant gloves.

None of this stuff needs to be very heavy; modern non-cotton fabrics are lightweight because they are designed for folks who will be transporting in a backpack when not wearing, 8-12 hours per day. To us, every ounce counts. Some of this clothing will give you sticker shock, but if you invest the time you can find bargains. Focus on weight and insulating properties; if going for a system with as many as five layers, go a size larger for the outer two layers. Your lightest layer would be a moisture-wicking "base" layer against your skin, getting progressively heavier (relatively speaking) the further from your skin you get. The outer layer would be a "shell" that is water- and wind-resistant but avoid super-heavy options (does not need to be heavy if you've made good choices underneath). 

The sort of clothing I've described can be easily stored in your travel suitcase or better yet, a comfortable, well-fitting 50L or more backpack which I see more and more train pax using in lieu of luggage. Another advantage is much of it does not wrinkle like cotton clothing would, and as a further bonus is quick-drying. As for footwear, a mid-height hiking boot would work as well in colder climates, with possibly two pairs of socks and a vapor barrier ("aqua socks") if you'll be trudging thru water or deep snow. They could conceivably be packed too, and you'd wear another type of lighter shoe/sock beyond that. Get professionally fitted for the boots, and break them in -- your feet will thank you.

The problem would be if you must have some "formal" clothing anywhere along your itinerary. But if not, you could investigate the myriad effective layering and footwear options available thru merchants like REI and their discount competitors. Even Target and WalMart, tho they don't really have the selection.

If you make good choices, this clothing, footwear, and backpack can serve you well for many years in a number of scenarios beyond backcountry travel. Think outdoor concerts, sporting events, a January 20 Presidential inauguration. It need not be thought of as an expense just for one trip. AFAIK, you may already possess some of the items I've described.

Best wishes; hope I've given you some out-of-the-box ideas that could work if long-term CUS storage is a no-go.

Opps, It's 1-28 to 2-3, 6 nights.  I just if it was possible I would leave a small bag there.  Predicting 5 to 8 inches of snow the 28th in Chicago. Years ago there was pay lockers in a room off of the great hall on the Clinton Street side I think but I guess they are gone.  I do the layering thing, did 8 days in Switzerland the first of December and it worked out great.  Wife and I did good in Switzerland, what a great place to ride the rails.  Got on 27 trains in a 10days counting to and from Chicago.   Thanks everyone for the help

Opps, It's 1-28 to 2-3, 6 nights.  I just if it was possible I would leave a small bag there.  Predicting 5 to 8 inches of snow the 28th in Chicago. Years ago there was pay lockers in a room off of the great hall on the Clinton Street side I think but I guess they are gone.  I do the layering thing, did 8 days in Switzerland the first of December and it worked out great.  Wife and I did good in Switzerland, what a great place to ride the rails.  Got on 27 trains in a 10days counting to and from Chicago.   Thanks everyone for the help
Well now I'm jealous. 27 trains, 10 days. Wow. And you layered! Smart...

Did y'all carry luggage or do backpacks?

You just shaved 20 days off your opening post. I don't know if that would make a difference re: CUS, but it couldn't hurt. Best to check with them, and make sure you're speaking with a knowledgeable person or better yet a supervisor.

I do also wonder, even if it is technically allowed, it might not be wise to leave belongings there for that long. It just means that it’s that much more likely for someone to get a chance to take it. You’d probably be okay, but six days is a long time to leave something unattended.

I do also wonder, even if it is technically allowed, it might not be wise to leave belongings there for that long. It just means that it’s that much more likely for someone to get a chance to take it. You’d probably be okay, but six days is a long time to leave something unattended.
As already stated it's not possible to leave bags in the lounge overnight. 

Reading the entire thread is your friend. ;)  

Well now I'm jealous. 27 trains, 10 days. Wow. And you layered! Smart...

Did y'all carry luggage or do backpacks?

You just shaved 20 days off your opening post. I don't know if that would make a difference re: CUS, but it couldn't hurt. Best to check with them, and make sure you're speaking with a knowledgeable person or better yet a supervisor.
We had the small size roller suitcase with backpacks that  slip over the extended handle of the suitcase.  This worked good.  Just myself leaving tomorrow with my good old Patagonia MLS carry-on that has the backpack straps, shoulder strap and handle.  19.8lbs for 6 nights, Macomb, IL to CUS to DC to Miami for 2 nights.  Flying to NOL, one night then City to CUS and back to Macomb.  Using up Amtrak points and Marriott points.

We had the small size roller suitcase with backpacks that  slip over the extended handle of the suitcase.  This worked good.  Just myself leaving tomorrow with my good old Patagonia MLS carry-on that has the backpack straps, shoulder strap and handle.  19.8lbs for 6 nights, Macomb, IL to CUS to DC to Miami for 2 nights.  Flying to NOL, one night then City to CUS and back to Macomb.  Using up Amtrak points and Marriott points.
There are many Appalachian Trail hikers who would struggle to get down to that pack weight. Kudos!

There definitely is no over night storage in any of the sleeper lounges. The best bets for leaving something for multiple days is to ask a hotel to hold them for you.  Of course you will probably have to stay at least one night at that hotel.

Back