Union Pacific Leading Amtrak #6(19)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
A Union Pacific engine is leading the eastbound California Zephyr that will arrive in Chicago later today.  I originally posted about this in this thread before I found out the actually reason is that #6(19) encountered a car on the tracks near Reno, and the original lead unit, AMTK 193, got flat spots on its wheels from the emergency stop.

I caught this train running just under five and a half hours late at Agency, Iowa.

So do they normally just run one locomotive on this train? I know a lot of routes have 2

So do they normally just run one locomotive on this train? I know a lot of routes have 2
Nope, they normally run two. We're talking about a pretty long Superliner train that has to go up through the Rockies, so I don't think one locomotive would be physically possible.

Since he said "lead engine", that makes me think the engine you see is the "HEP" engine.  I'm pretty sure the CZ uses two engines since it traverses two mountain ranges.

Back