Colorado Rail Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
Are any of the rolling stock created by Colorado Railcar (now US Railcar) still in service?  Does Tri Rail use their Double Deck DMU?  I'm pretty sure (without source) that they are supplying the trailer cars on the Alaska Railroad sightseeing cars associated with Cruise lines...

Rocky Mountaineer uses them, as does Alaska Railroad & the Alaskan tour lines (Princess & Holland), Portland's WES Rail, and VIA. I don't know if Tri-Rail uses any of their 3 different CRC trainsets although if I had to guess they're more for equipment shortages these days.

The American Orient Express was CRC equipment, I don't know what happened to those cars after GrandLuxe shut the service--- it looks like Xanterra got most of them, so add them to the list of operators.

Peter

TriMet/ Portland and Western use a set for the West Side Express. They sound like busses when you ride on them. Between Wilsonville and Beaverton Oregon.

I thought AOE used an exclusive Pullman trainset.  I don't recall any double deckers when I saw them.  Of course, it was in the East and they could have pulled it to go under the Hudson...

Interesting stuff.

The AOE was built almost exclusively of Pullman-Standard and AC&F cars. However there were a handful of Budds on the train as well.

They did have a full dome that I want to say was ex Great Northern.

Gotcha.  That makes sense.  I was really looking for new stock being build by RailCar as in double deckers and DMUs (and combinations thereof), but I didn't elaborate.

Thanks for the info, though. Always interesting stuff.

Back