AGR Taxable Income Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if anything related to AGR is considered taxable income? (Redeemed tickets, credit card points, credit card sign up point bonus.) OR is it all non taxable because it conditionally requires making a purchase.

Which is a fairly standard disclaimer.  It is mainly intended to cover something like either a sweepstakes where 100,000 AGR points go to the winner or where you redeem for something like a hotel night where some local tax might still apply.

I strongly doubt the IRS or state tax departments are concerned about AGR points, nor are they concerned about frequent flyer miles which is the same thing.  Employers that pay for your tickets sometimes want or claim the points/FF Miles rightly 'belong' to them as they paid for the ticket(s).  And then the big shots fly for free on your points/FF Miles. 

Until the IRS sends me a letter inquiring about my earned/bought AGR points, I'm not going to worry about it.

Does anyone know if anything related to AGR is considered taxable income?
Frequent traveler points are not typically handled as a taxable event.  Did you receive a 1099 or similar document?  If not, don't worry about it.  If yes, hand the document over to your accountant.  It may be possible to contest or dismiss the reported valuation depending on the situation.  Although the IRS has generally ignored points usage at the consumer level they may decide to change their mind at any time.

Frequent traveler points are not typically handled as a taxable event. 
One addendum to my previous post.  Certain types of taxes are collected when redeeming points for free purchases, but Amtrak sales are currently exempt from such taxes.

Fortunately for now IRS does not have the spare resources to change their mind.
emoji57.png
I think the main issue is that points values can vary wildly depending on specific usage and there is no obvious method in place for tracking the value that is actually realized.

Back