adding a passenger to a sleeper reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igor

Train Attendant
I've got a sleeper reservation from Chicago to Portland, and would like to add another passenger.

When I called Amtrak's 800 number they insisted that they couldn't modify the current reservation, but had to cancel it, charge me a 25% cancellation fee, and then do the booking again. I'm sure I've done this before without cancelling the original reservation. What are the secret words I need to whisper? "Open sleeper ticket"? "Coach Seat"?

As a Guest Rewards member, I've got a companion coupon that I'd like to use for this. I assume that's a legal use for the coupon, as it's essentially buying a coach seat to go with a sleeper reservation, but the coupon does say that it needs to be used at the time the reservation is originally made. Is that always true?

Amtrak doesn’t have a change fee, so that 25% cancellation fee is incorrect. That said, I’m not sure how easily they can just add someone to an existing reservation, so you’ll probably have to just get an open sleeper ticket and associate it with your sleeper reservation.

As to whether you can use the companion coupon, probably not, because of the fact that it says you need to add it when you book the original reservation. And the restrictions do actually state that the coupons can’t be used for sleeper bookings, however Arrow seems to be currently allowing that anyway. So the prohibiting factors here are probably that you would have had to use the coupon when first booking, and that it’s not valid for open sleeper tickets. I mean, you can call USA-RAIL again and try to talk to a manager to see if you can have your companion directly added onto your reservation, with the coupon, but I really doubt that they’d let you. :(  

Also, don’t be shy about calling the 800 number as many times as you need to to get what you want. I’ve also had good luck calling the AGR line to get good answers and make changes without any fees. To add to this, I’ve had even better luck calling later in the evening, the folks on the later shift seem to be more knowledgeable and willing to help. 

As for the companion cert, you can always ask, and yes Arrow is applying these to sleepers online, but I doubt you could talk an agent into applying one to a sleeper reservation. 

Good luck!!

I was able to add someone to my sleeper reservation in September 2017. I'm not sure if anything has changed since then. They did make me go to the train station to pay and receive a paper ticket for the added passenger. The station agent was very clear that if I lost the paper ticket, the added passenger would not be able to travel. It was a bit of a pain.

I've got a sleeper reservation from Chicago to Portland, and would like to add another passenger.

When I called Amtrak's 800 number they insisted that they couldn't modify the current reservation, but had to cancel it, charge me a 25% cancellation fee, and then do the booking again. I'm sure I've done this before without cancelling the original reservation. What are the secret words I need to whisper? "Open sleeper ticket"? "Coach Seat"?

As a Guest Rewards member, I've got a companion coupon that I'd like to use for this. I assume that's a legal use for the coupon, as it's essentially buying a coach seat to go with a sleeper reservation, but the coupon does say that it needs to be used at the time the reservation is originally made. Is that always true?
You need to get an open sleeper ticket. The agent is correct, once a reservation is made no additions can be made. Companion coupons are not eligible for use on Sleeper trips. 

Amtrak doesn’t have a change fee, so that 25% cancellation fee is incorrect. That said, I’m not sure how easily they can just add someone to an existing reservation, so you’ll probably have to just get an open sleeper ticket and associate it with your sleeper reservation.

As to whether you can use the companion coupon, probably not, because of the fact that it says you need to add it when you book the original reservation. And the restrictions do actually state that the coupons can’t be used for sleeper bookings, however Arrow seems to be currently allowing that anyway. So the prohibiting factors here are probably that you would have had to use the coupon when first booking, and that it’s not valid for open sleeper tickets. I mean, you can call USA-RAIL again and try to talk to a manager to see if you can have your companion directly added onto your reservation, with the coupon, but I really doubt that they’d let you. :(  
That 25% cancellation fee IS CORRECT! I don't know where you've been but the cancellation fee is 25% and has been since last year at the least. 

One of the points that people forget is that change (modification) and cancellation are different. It is exactly why we often counsel folks to insist on "modifying", not cancelling and redoing a reservation.

As has been suggested in other threads in this and other forums, getting and 'open' sleeper ticket for the extra passenger might be the solution.  A simple coach ticket is likely not sufficient, although I think the conductor MAY be willing to accept that when in a fully ticketed sleeper passenger.  YMMV.

Either way, though, I wonder what would happen in the diner...would the 'extra' person be treated to free meal(s) without being specifically named on the sleeper ticket?   Again, the willingness of the LSA to do so would make t he difference.

You need to get an open sleeper ticket. The agent is correct, once a reservation is made no additions can be made. Companion coupons are not eligible for use on Sleeper trips. 
That's what the "restrictions" for the coupon seem to say, but Arrow begs to differ. Just put in two adults (it won't work if you try discounts like NARP or a Senior) and add a companion coupon, and it will knock the second rail fare off the cost. Still, it's too late for him now.

That 25% cancellation fee IS CORRECT! I don't know where you've been but the cancellation fee is 25% and has been since last year at the least. 
Sorry for my ambiguity. I meant that he doesn't need to cancel (and therefore incur that 25% fee) for this. I was NOT denying that there is a 25% cancellation fee; just that this doesn't require a cancellation.

As has been suggested in other threads in this and other forums, getting and 'open' sleeper ticket for the extra passenger might be the solution.  A simple coach ticket is likely not sufficient, although I think the conductor MAY be willing to accept that when in a fully ticketed sleeper passenger.  YMMV.

Either way, though, I wonder what would happen in the diner...would the 'extra' person be treated to free meal(s) without being specifically named on the sleeper ticket?   Again, the willingness of the LSA to do so would make t he difference.
Getting a standard coach ticket instead of an Open Sleeper is totally unnecessary, and just asking for trouble. The crews are not supposed to let ticketed coach passengers into the sleepers, let alone get meals. Remember that the rail fare for a sleeper (what the Open Sleeper will cost) is priced as the lowest bucket Value fare coach ticket. How are the crew to know that they didn't buy a Saver fare coach seat, which would cost significantly less than what they would have had to pay as an actual sleeper passenger? Point is, it's super easy to get an open sleeper ticket, and there is fundamentally no way for the crew to know that this coach passenger paid what they are supposed to for a sleeper, so why would they let them in?

Don't run the risk. Just get an Open Sleeper ticket. In fact, it will actually be the cheapest option if coach tickets aren't at the lowest bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
bratkinson said:
As has been suggested in other threads in this and other forums, getting and 'open' sleeper ticket for the extra passenger might be the solution.  A simple coach ticket is likely not sufficient, although I think the conductor MAY be willing to accept that when in a fully ticketed sleeper passenger.  YMMV.Either way, though, I wonder what would happen in the diner...would the 'extra' person be treated to free meal(s) without being specifically named on the sleeper ticket?   Again, the willingness of the LSA to do so would make t he difference.
I know what the rules are, how many people are allowed per room, etc., but I would insist on having the ticket changed to an open sleeper ticket. For all I know it could be a spotter making sure I follow the rooms.
My list trip on 8 I had a passenger who said he upgraded to the 831 sleeper, so we gave him his dinner. I then watched him walk back to coach. Long story short, he DID upgrade, but only from about 11:30pm-5:30am. Every single meal ticket is turned in, and in case of an audit, I went and collected the price of his meal.

It has less to do with the willingness of the LSA, and more to do with what Amtrak's policies are, and what they allow the LSA to do.

Also as far as the issue with the conductors go, I wouldn't chance it. It costs nothing to change a coach ticket to an open sleeper ticket, in fact it may be cheaper since it's priced at the low fare bucket price.

So in other words...one should just make the phone call, and save themselves the worry and grief.

What the previous two posters said. There is a “right” way to do it that doesn’t involve asking crew members to break the rules, and it’s either the same price or cheaper. 

Absolutely worth the slight inconvenience of having to call and actually find an agent that knows how to do their job properly. 

Thanks for all the advice!

I called Amtrak again, and got a much more helpful agent. There was no problem creating an open sleeper ticket.  When I asked about applying the companion coupon, the only issue was that it had to be used at the time of booking (as someone above mentioned). The solution was to cancel the original reservation, and make a new one for both passengers. The agent was able to wave the 25% cancellation fee. 

Lessons learned:

1.  Amtrak phone agents vary greatly in quality. 
  2. Adding a second passenger to a sleeper space can be done after the original reservation is made. Using the words "Open sleeper ticket" helps
  3. Companion coupons can be applied to sleeper space (as has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, although in that case the coupon was used online, rather than over the phone, so it's nice to know it's legal, not just a website glitch)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice!

I called Amtrak again, and got a much more helpful agent. There was no problem creating an open sleeper ticket.  When I asked about applying the companion coupon, the only issue was that it had to be used at the time of booking (as someone above mentioned). The solution was to cancel the original reservation, and make a new one for both passengers. The agent was able to wave the 25% cancellation fee. 
Wow, congratulations!

Lessons learned:

1. Amtrak phone agents vary greatly in quality. 
  2. Adding a second passenger to a sleeper space can be done after the original reservation is made. Using the words "Open sleeper ticket" helps
  3. Companion coupons can be applied to sleeper space (as has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, although in that case the coupon was used online, rather than over the phone, so it's nice to know it's legal, not just a website glitch)
Couldn't agree more, particularly with the two in bold. I actually called Amtrak yesterday morning to reserve two low bucket Roomette fares on the Cardinal and Lake Shore, and I wanted to make sure I would be able to use my companion coupons if/when I actually booked it, and both agents were like "Yes, absolutely."

So I guess the "Not valid for sleeper bookings" restriction is either incorrect, or just means that it can't be applied to the rooms themselves. Either way, I'm happy.

I assume at the same (or better) bucket price level ?
Yes, I know that's not always the case, but perhaps this wasn't a popular travel day (midweek in February). 

The gist was that I ended up adding a second person to the reservation and paid the same price as I had originally.

Back