Underage Passenger Joining En Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
I am in the early stages of planning a trip back to Florida from Chicago next Summer via the CL and SS. A family member who lives between Rocky Mount and Raleigh is interested in travelling on the train with me, but is only 14. Since I am 18, he should be able to go with me. However, he would technically be boarding the train alone, so would this present an issue? Booking a ticket is not an issue since the Amtrak website does not ask for age, but is it possible the employees at the station could prevent him from boarding? Also, which station is preferable? If boarding at Rocky Mount, we would not be able to meet until he is on the train, but I could mention the situation to the conductor before getting there. Since Raleigh is a stretch break, I could meet him on the platform, but access to the platform is restricted so he could have an issue getting that far.

In theory, either of your proposed methods should work, since your relative can travel with you with no restrictions (once on the train).

But in a way, you are asking the forum to anticipate what specific Amtrak employees who are working on that train or at the station that night will say. None of us can offer more than a guess.

Personally, I'd lean towards the Raleigh option since there is a scheduled dwell time of about 10 minutes, which should give you enough time to get off the train and find your relative in the station, should he be unable to get to the platform. But I wouldn't bet the house on it. Above all, make sure you have ID with you showing your age.

Realistically unless they look super young I don’t think anyone would bat an eye. Maybe call reservations have them put it in the notes and link reservations or at least get their  “official” input. I traveled the entire system alone at 16 but different world, different times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd lean towards the Raleigh option since there is a scheduled dwell time of about 10 minutes, which should give you enough time to get off the train and find your relative in the station, should he be unable to get to the platform. But I wouldn't bet the house on it. Above all, make sure you have ID with you showing your age.
I just re-read what's on the Amtrak website, and I am still not an expert on this, but I would agree that it would be best if you got off the train, met your 14 yo, accompany them to the platform and onto the train.

How is the 14 yo getting to the station?   Is there an adult dropping him off, that could walk them to the platform too?  This way, if any Amtrak employee questions the 14 yo, the adult could easily explain the situation.

Realistically unless they look super young I don’t think anyone would bat an eye. Maybe call reservations have them put it in the notes and link reservations or at least get their  “official” input. I traveled the entire system alone at 16 but different world, different times.
And I did the same on the B&O at age 13 in 1962, but those were way different times.

Same rail cars.   :giggle:
So true! But I did get to experience the CA Zephyr with two diners on the same train both a Hi level diner and a SL diner and both packed. The Hi level went to LA and the Superliner to Oakland. Also got to experience the “see” level lounge on the Texas Eagle at the very end.  The Parlor cars before they were Parlor cars.

Back