92(10) Delay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Signal/communication issues on the SFRTA, aka Tri-Rail. For a while their dispatch office was completely cut-off from the outside world. Signal system, telephones and radios were down. Delayed lots of their trains, too, though not as bad. All this just one day after their 30th anniversary!

Signal/communication issues on the SFRTA, aka Tri-Rail. For a while their dispatch office was completely cut-off from the outside world. Signal system, telephones and radios were down. Delayed lots of their trains, too, though not as bad. All this just one day after their 30th anniversary!
Wait, I thought that track is owned by Brightline, not Tri-Rail?

They share tracks for at least a portion of the route, right?

I mean, I would swear that I've seen both Brightline and Tri-Rail at this crossing, for example.
I do not want to swear, but I am almost positive that they do not share tracks.  I am under the impression that Brightine is closer to US 1, whereas Tri-Rail is closer to I-95 in Broward County.  

Maybe 1@jis[/USER] could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe 1@jis[/USER] could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks.
He knows more than I know about just about everything.  :)

Maybe 1@jis[/USER] could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?
There are two major sets of north-south tracks in S. Florida. The tracks furthest east are the tracks that Brightline runs on. These tracks more or less run through the downtown areas of Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. The second set, further west and more or less within sight of I-95 for long stretches are the Tri-Rail (or South Florida Reginal Transit Authority) and Amtrak tracks. There is a plan to begin running some Tri-Rail trains to MiamiCentral using the IRIS connection just south of the Tri-Rail/Metrorail connection station however, I don’t believe this has started yet. 

Even if that is true, what difference does it make in this case? RebelRider explained the outage and the territory it involved. 92 was held on the SFRTA Miami Subdivision while major signals issues were sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there are future plans for some Tri-Rail trains to go off their rails at Iris onto the east west FEC freight yard connection then Tri-Rail  will turn south onto the FEC to the Brightline station.  When?  Have not seen  an answer.  As well construction work is at some progress point to allow  connection Tri-Rail track just north of Palm Beach past the hurricane cemetery to connect to the FEC line northbound.  Have not heard but this last connection was at one time set to restore to passenger train specs for Tri-Rail to go south from MGP to south on FEC ?

There are two major sets of north-south tracks in S. Florida. The tracks furthest east are the tracks that Brightline runs on. These tracks more or less run through the downtown areas of Miami, Ft Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. The second set, further west and more or less within sight of I-95 for long stretches are the Tri-Rail (or South Florida Reginal Transit Authority) and Amtrak tracks. There is a plan to begin running some Tri-Rail trains to MiamiCentral using the IRIS connection just south of the Tri-Rail/Metrorail connection station however, I don’t believe this has started yet. 
Yes there are future plans for some Tri-Rail trains to go off their rails at Iris onto the east west FEC freight yard connection then Tri-Rail  will turn south onto the FEC to the Brightline station.  When?  Have not seen  an answer.  As well construction work is at some progress point to allow  connection Tri-Rail track just north of Palm Beach past the hurricane cemetery to connect to the FEC line northbound.  Have not heard but this last connection was at one time set to restore to passenger train specs for Tri-Rail to go south from MGP to south on FEC ?.   

cpotisch said:
Maybe [mention=171]jis[/mention] could answer this one, since I'm pretty sure he had said that Tri-Rail pays to use Brightline-owned tracks?
What? No! At present there is no track segment shared by Tri-Rail with Brightline.

I don’t recall saying what you claim I said. Tri-Rail will pay to use Brightline/FECR tracks between CP Iris and MiamiCentral when they start serving MiamiCentral.

What? No! At present there is no track segment shared by Tri-Rail with Brightline.

I don’t recall saying what you claim I said. Tri-Rail will pay to use Brightline/FECR tracks between CP Iris and MiamiCentral when they start serving MiamiCentral.
Sorry! Guess I misunderstood.  :blush:   :help:

Back