Dinner on the Capitol Limited?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimontheriver

Train Attendant
Departing Chicago 6:40PM to DC with a sleeper, will I get dinner. I'm thinking I will, but just checking. Thanks

Well, you'll get something to eat in the "First Class Lounge" , but it will be a Boxed Meal courtesy of "Chef "Anderson, not a Real Meal.

I'd suggest having a Late Lunch/Early Supper in Chicago before boarding, plenty of great Choices around Union Station and the Loop has even more!

Dinner (boxed meal) will be served to the sleeping car passengers, who will have the option to eat in their rooms or in the "sleeper lounge."  At this time, there are several options, including one hot option.  There are rumors that there may be more hot options in the future.  There are mixed reviews about the new boxed meals.  As with almost everything, some people like the new option and some do not.  One alcoholic beverage is included with the boxed meal (which makes some people happy).

That free alcholic beverage includes a $16 carafe of wine. Thats the positive. Negative is the elimination of the sit down hot meal diner. No matter how Amtrak spins it it is an obvious downgrade

That free alcholic beverage includes a $16 carafe of wine. Thats the positive. Negative is the elimination of the sit down hot meal diner. No matter how Amtrak spins it it is an obvious downgrade
As long as the carafe is large enough then you won't care about the meal. ;)

Potbellies is right near the station in Chicago.   They make a pretty good sandwich.    I would not recommend the pizza place that is right nearby.

There is an Amazon Go store in the Ogilvie Transportation Center.  It's one of just a few in the entire country. 

While it would not be my choice for dinner, they have some excellent snacks.  

The biggest reason to visit the store is to try out the cashier-less technology.  It works like this:

1) Download the Amazon Go app.  

2) Scan your QR code as you enter the store.

3) Take whatever you want off of the shelves.  Put things you don't want back.

4) Walk out the exit.

5) You are automatically charged for whatever you walked out with.

It's pretty cool to see in action.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Beggar's Pizza (Clinton and Jackson) and found it to be pretty good (if you like Chicago style)
I usually go to Beggar's when in Chicago.  I like their NY style pizza even better than their Chicago style.  They are conveniently located, have good pizza and local beer.  Win, win, win.

Has anyone tried Mughal for Indian food (560 Van Buren, www.mughalindiachicago.com)?
Mughal India WAS a good choice for dining near Union Station. Unfortunately it has closed. Last time I passed by I saw they were installing a new restaurant, not sure if it will be Indian as well. I'll check it out for sure, always looking for dining options near CUS. 

Back