Difference between flexible and business class as car as refunds?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant
I understand some of the perks that you get in business class since I have  taken it before.  What I don't understand is the difference as far as refunds go when it comes to flexible vs business.  From what I see they are both 100% refundable.   But in planning a recent trip, I came up with $35 for business class and $47 for flexible.   If you get more perks in business, why would you pay an extra $12 for flexible?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good question. Looking at the Refund and Exchange Policy, Flexible fares are listed as offering a “Full refund, no fees”, while Business fares are a “Full refund if cancelled before departure”. That would seem to imply that Flexible fares give you a full refund if you don’t show up, while Business fares must be manually cancelled before departure. However looking at the No Show policy, both say “If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is forfeited and no funds can be applied toward future travel.“ I know that Flex used to offer a full refund no matter what if you don’t show up, so I guess when that was changed, they only felt it necessary to change the “No Show policy” line, and not the “Refunds” line.

This still doesn’t explain why Flex fares are more expensive than Business Class (in fact, they’re often more expensive than a Roomette). My best guess is that they just forgot to adjust fares after changing the no show policy. Other than that, I have no idea. :wacko:

Flexible Fares

Classes of Service: Unreserved Coach, Reserved Coach, Acela Express Business Class

• Refunds: Full refund, no fees.
  • eVouchers Available: Full value, no fees.
  • No Change Fee
  • “No Show” Policy: If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is forfeited and no funds can be applied toward future travel.

Business Fares

Classes of Service: Non-Acela Business Class

• Refunds: Full refund if canceled before departure.
  • eVouchers Available: Full value, no fees if canceled before departure.
  • No Change Fee
  • “No Show” Policy: If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin, the ticket is forfeited and no funds can be applied toward future travel.

Sea

If a train is very heavily sold in coach, and BC isn't selling it can happen. 
I’ve looked, and Flex fares are more expensive than BC or even Roomettes, a very large portion of the time. I don’t think this is just a case of availability/demand on a specific date resulting in the inferior offering being more expensive (like a Roomette being more expensive than a Bedroom). I think that this is a consistent trend in how Amtrak prices the different fares.

If a train is very heavily sold in coach, and BC isn't selling it can happen. 

Granted but this is way far out there 6 months.  Would hardly anything be sold yet?    I might try some other days to see if there is a difference.

Back